PDA

View Full Version : Which car to look at (SLK vs M series vs G37 etc.)

sxtasy
08-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Going car shopping with the old man, he currently drives 89 911 turbo. Since the car is a little high maintenance, he is looking for more of a daily driver.

Priorities in a car are:

1) Performance, acceleration and handling. Weight being a factor too, (no heavy boats)

2) Daily driveability, reliable (not a money pit), something that can be safely winter driven

3) Something that is more unique looking, I know some of the cars mention ie. M3 coupes and G37 are very common so more points to the more rare cars. And he is 50 yrs old so no boy racer type cars. More points to a nice manual transmission.

Budget is 60- 90k tops

So far we have been thinking:

SLK 350
SLK 55 (maybe used for the price range?)
G37 coupe or convertible
M3 coupe or cabriolet
M coupe
Corvette

What is your take on the cars mentioned?
Any cars missing from the list?
Cars I should definitely steer clear of?

We would like to narrow it down to maybe 3 cars to test drive.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-26-2009, 12:33 PM
M Coupe is no longer in production just FYI. But theres plenty of good value used ones, and they are perfectly fine in the winter with some decent winter tires. I havent driven my dads one much but the transmission has a nice feeling and shifted and solidly with a nice clutch. Definately a stand out car, they are mostly hate it or love it styling.

sxtasy
08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
thats strange, I see Mcoupe on BMW's website still. What year is final production 09, 10?

He is considering used cars as well.

Some random questions:
Any Porsche's we should consider in the price range (no Boxsters pls)
How is SLK's 7 spd auto?
Is SLK 350 underpowered?
How would the Corvette be to winter drive?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Production was 2006-2008 for the M Coupes/Roadsters.

Although they may only have 330Hp, they are very quick cars. Also the Ms have the CSL brakes (aluminum hubs and iron floating rotors). If he is considering the M3 coupe and convertible, consider the M coupe and convertible as well.

The Z4M has been proven very fast in the right hands.

Orbie
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Have you looked into the 3-series BMW's? they are common, but I would think those would rank higher than the G37 on his list. 335 is probably the better performer and that's priority 1 on his list. G37 is good for bang for the buck in terms of features. The G37 is also quite heavy, but it is a great car overall.

You should also look at the Porsche Cayman, it's the only other Porsche besides a Boxster that fits your price range.

spacerz
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Are you only looking at brand new vehicles?

bubbley
08-26-2009, 01:17 PM
How about C63 AMG

:drool:

sxtasy
08-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Production was 2006-2008 for the M Coupes/Roadsters.

If he is considering the M3 coupe and convertible, consider the M coupe and convertible as well.

The Z4M has been proven very fast in the right hands.
Mcoupe is on the list, z4 seems to be too Boxster like, more of a woman's car lol no offense

Originally posted by Orbie
Have you looked into the 3-series BMW's? they are common, but I would think those would rank higher than the G37 on his list. 335 is probably the better performer and that's priority 1 on his list. G37 is good for bang for the buck in terms of features. The G37 is also quite heavy, but it is a great car overall.

You should also look at the Porsche Cayman, it's the only other Porsche besides a Boxster that fits your price range.
M series > 3 series
and reading 0-60 times G37 outperforms all 3 series. Maybe I am giving G37 too much credit? But it is definitely on the lower end of the list though. How is the Cayman performance and reliability?

Originally posted by spacerz
Are you only looking at brand new vehicles?

new and lightly used, with warranty still in place

Originally posted by bubbley
How about C63 AMG

:drool:

I dont think that is in the price range?

2EFNFAST
08-26-2009, 01:31 PM
From that list, I would either buy a used Z06 or a used SL55 AMG.

bubbley
08-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy

I dont think that is in the price range?

Very much so i believe its between 60-70k, check out benz canada site.

max_boost
08-26-2009, 01:39 PM
C63AMG
455hp
$70k done.
High powered sedan.

SLK's are fine in the winter but they are so small and I just couldn't bear watching the abuse it was going through. I drove mine for about a month before I decided to just park it and let my WRX handle the winter duties.

What does the old man want? a daily driver or a weekend/summer mobile?

sxtasy
08-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
From that list, I would either buy a used Z06 or a used SL55 AMG.
Yeah I am kind of leaning that way too, it sounds like these two would be good performers

Originally posted by bubbley

Very much so i believe its between 60-70k, check out benz canada site.
My bad, I was looking at CL class, I kind of skipped this car cause of 4 door. He likes the go cart type cars (hence the 89 911 T)

Originally posted by max_boost
C63AMG
455hp
$70k done.
High powered sedan.

SLK's are fine in the winter but they are so small and I just couldn't bear watching the abuse it was going through. I drove mine for about a month before I decided to just park it and let my WRX handle the winter duties.

What does the old man want? a daily driver or a weekend/summer mobile?
He does have a truck to handle those nasty winter days, but he likes to enjoy his car more than the short summer we have. What is your review of the SLK? Specifically transmission, power hard top, reliability, handling.

atgilchrist
08-26-2009, 03:00 PM
You should be able to find lots of 997 Porsche's in that price range, if your dad likes his Porsche and wants to stay with the brand.

Xtrema
08-26-2009, 04:35 PM
G37 convertible is heavy and in very high demand right now.

Don't know if it's truth or now, I was told they are receiving only 2 a month and a lot of them are pre-sold.

G37's spec may match 335 but it sure doesn't drive like one. And 335 coupe still got more rear headroom and trunk space which I doubt would matter to your dad.

Z4 sDrive35i is almost as fast as old M coupe and I don't think M coupe will come back now that Z4 has a hard top.

Orbie
08-26-2009, 05:57 PM

M series > 3 series
and reading 0-60 times G37 outperforms all 3 series. Maybe I am giving G37 too much credit? But it is definitely on the lower end of the list though. How is the Cayman performance and reliability?

I see what you were thinking with the 3-series. With the G37 on there it confused me as the 3-series BMW's are direct competitors to the G's. You are giving the G too much credit, 0-60 stock for stock the 335 should walk a G37. I think BMW was very conservative with their 0-60 website ratings. The car is a low 5s car easy and can dip into the high 4's. Power modfications are easy with the TT setup. These differences are only magnified at our altitude. The G's real strength is bang for your buck, fully loaded it's on par with 328 pricing and it comes with a ton of features. Performance is great as well, just not 3-series great. However if you are thinking M series cars I would probably skip the 3-series as well as the G's.

Performance in the Cayman is top notch, I think it's better looking than a lot of the 911's. It's considered one of the best handling cars in the world. In fact many people were saying if they had decided to bump the Cayman to 300+hp when it was first introduced it would eat 911 Carrera sales since it would be a better car with the extra power. Now that they've bumped the 911's up, the Cayman for 2009 has 320hp which should make it an even better sports car. I can't speak too much of reliability, but I haven't heard of any glaring issues, J.D. Power ranks long term reliability to be excellent.

psycoticclown
08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Pick up a GTR from the States :thumbsup:

It would just squeak in under 90k after everything is said and done. Would be lightly used, probably 3000 miles and would be miles ahead of everything else you are looking at. And I'm not even like the GTR's very much.

dannie
08-26-2009, 06:39 PM
I have had three cars that would be in those categories. None of them are the fastest things out there, but are more fun and comfort than anything else.

M3 Cab: I really enjoyed the finishings on this one. I liked the standard and the pick up and go was great. The service I received at BMW was awesome. The guy that I dealt with was awesome for both the M3 and the X5 that I had. Very easy to deal with. I did not like the handling of the car. I did not like how turning the wheel seemed to be a chore. I am not sure how else to describe it. It was a newer version as well 2003.

SLK350: I just picked her up last Thursday, so I am still experimenting. That being said, there are a couple of dislikes. I have a love/hate relationship with it being a two seater. There is no room to throw my purse if there is someone in the car with me. You cant even move the seats forward enough to jam it in there. If your dad is still with your mom or has a gf or something, this could get annoying.

It is quite a bit lower than you would expect. So if your dad is getting up there in age, this could be a deterrant.

I hate where the cup holders are. I put a grande latte in one afternoon and was paranoid for the next hour that it was going to spill. I love the look of the car, the sound of the exhaust, the handling, the hardtop convertible, the stereo and the finishes. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

SC430: I know this isnt on your list, but I would add it. It has fantastic power to it, 4 seater, HK sound system, hardtop convertible, plenty of room to go on a road trip. I had this car for a year and let my parents borrow it for a road trip. They loved it so much, they wouldn't give it back and ended up buying it from me :) They still adore it. It is a little higher up and easier to get into than the Mercedes, which is a factor for them.

bashir26
08-26-2009, 06:42 PM
E550 coupe and don't look back. The car is a blast to drive.

FiveFreshFish
08-26-2009, 06:57 PM
He likes the go cart type cars (hence the 89 911 T)

None of the cars you listed feels like a go cart with regards to the driving position and the weight perspective.

He should look at a Lotus Elise SC or a Porsche Cayman S.

max_boost
08-27-2009, 12:48 AM
These are my choices.

C63 --- Sedan
335I ---- Cab
Cayman S --- Coupe

LOL

So many choices when you are willing to spend up to $90K!

B4tMan
08-27-2009, 01:02 AM
He likes the go cart type cars
Recommend exige.

Drove it in Vancouver, what a dream.

whiskas
08-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Don't bother with the C63 because the CTS-V is direct competition and rapes it quite handily.

Cadillac CTS-V
556HP
$70k

bubbley
08-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by whiskas
Don't bother with the C63 because the CTS-V is direct competition and rapes it quite handily.

Cadillac CTS-V
556HP
$70k

But so ugly :barf:

Z06...mmmm....ferrari/lambo killer...possibly my next ride

gpomp
08-27-2009, 12:14 PM
cayman s

http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0910_2009_best_drivers_car/index.html

sxtasy
08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Great read on the Cayman S, that just bumps it to the top of the list, definitely worth a test drive! Thanks for all the great suggestions.

benyl
08-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

Cadillac CTS-V
556HP
$70k

CTS-V is a competitor for the M5. Even GM states they are going after the M5 with that car.

It weighs 300 lbs more than the C63 that is already close to 4000 lbs.

911fever
08-27-2009, 02:55 PM
I'd get a Porsche 911 GT3 or Cayman S
if I was spending around 60-70 grand

or

a used Nissan GTR
around 80k

or 335i if i wanted a coupe

B4tMan
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Cayman S! Thanks for all the great suggestions.

If dad chooses it, nice buy as he stays in the Porsche family :)

<giani>
08-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by bashir26
E550 coupe and don't look back. The car is a blast to drive.

+1 That car is sick!