PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and Alberta Vehicle Registration

Nusc
08-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Hey guys,

is it okay to have insurance on your car from BC while living in AB? If so, how long can you do this for?

If I can do this, I need a parking permit. Those require that your car must be a registered vehicle in AB. Where do I find more information about this? I have a BC license.

How long must you live in AB until you are required to change from a BC license to an AB license?

Thanks in advance.

FiveFreshFish
08-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Three months is my guess.

Nusc
08-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Three months for both?

Hamann
08-26-2009, 08:52 PM
My old roommate moved here from Toronto and she waited over 6 months :dunno:

TorqueDog
08-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Ninety days, if you really want to get technical.

You have to abide by the laws of the jurisdiction of which you're entering - Alberta's is 90 days.

Originally posted by Hamann
My old roommate moved here from Toronto and she waited over 6 months :dunno: And if she got into an accident, she'd be SOL.

Nusc
08-26-2009, 11:35 PM
License or insurance?!

masoncgy
08-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Both. You can't obtain Alberta insurance & plates without an Alberta driver's license... and it needs to be changed over within 90 days.

Get the license changed first, then go and do your insurance & registration.

300rwhp
08-27-2009, 09:22 AM
if you are a student you can be exempted from the 90 days requirement and get a parking permit from the city of calgary.

TorqueDog
08-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Both. You can't obtain Alberta insurance & plates without an Alberta driver's license... and it needs to be changed over within 90 days.

Get the license changed first, then go and do your insurance & registration. Yeeeup.

Step 1. Establish residency. (Once you have a place to live, get your address changed on your cell phone bill, etc.)

Step 2. License (you need to surrender your old license, and you need to present a phone bill or something with your address and name on it. It'll take 7-10 days to get the official photo card, which the insurer will usually want a photocopy of.)

Step 3. Insurance (They'll need a driver's license #.)

Step 4. Registration (They'll need both a driver's license and proof of insurance.)

dannie
08-27-2009, 10:42 AM
You have 90 days from the date that move to Alberta to switch everything over. The only exception is if you are a student. You are entitled to keep your insurance/registration/drivers licence if you are studying.

The response above mine from Torquedog is correct.

quazimoto
08-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Or just use your parents address in BC. My cousin kept his BC insurance for almost a year.