PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a bicycle? <$500

yellowsnow
08-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I have a 20 year old bike (my dad's), and I think it's time to replace it. I ride into downtown everyday, and go up and down the centre st bridge

Can you guys recommend me a good bike? and where to go buy a good bike? i'm 5'11", 170lbs if that matters...

I don't want those 'sport chek' bikes either, my co-workers tell me they are all crap...

I want to spend under $500.

im2fst4u
08-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Good luck finding a new, quality bike for $500 and under....I would take the $500 and try to find a good used bike.

Kijiji has some great deals right now on bikes and I have found a good example, although he is firm (or so it says) at $600....money talks and I would bet he would entertain an offer of $500.

Kijiji Ad (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-2009-TREK-6000-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-17-1-2-W0QQAdIdZ151422321)

corsvette
08-26-2009, 05:16 PM
I recommend any Specialized product (i have owned many)you can get into a hardrock disk for around that price range,that is if a mountain bike is what you want.

illtim3d
08-26-2009, 05:28 PM
brand new bike under $ 500 will be hard to find. Try surfing kijiji for a used bike. If you decide to bump your budget to <$1000, i would suggest bowcycle in bowness. Great service and great products

Gorilla
08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
go to Sportcheck they got some Diamondback bikes on sale.

D. Dub
08-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Call around to the bike shops and see if they have any 08's left

yellowsnow
08-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah, i don't mind buying a used bike.

what's a good brand? trek, kona, norco is what i normally hear about.

thanks for the tips

yellowsnow
08-26-2009, 11:17 PM
what do u guys think of this bike?
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-500-2007-Norco-Rival-W0QQAdIdZ151443999

corsvette
08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Looks like a good deal,a lightweight hardtail is a good all around bike,Norco is a very good brand and has been for many years.

swak
08-27-2009, 12:44 AM
To be honest, a decent brand name new bike won't really be found for less than $800. Look for something used.

Goodluck

B4tMan
08-27-2009, 01:11 AM
it'll be good for 2 years and is in your price range. check out canadian tire

D. Dub
08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
Yeah, i don't mind buying a used bike.

what's a good brand? trek, kona, norco is what i normally hear about.

thanks for the tips

I meant old stock that hasn't sold.

That being said Bow Cycle has used bikes.

Kloubek
08-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Is Norco even still around? I thought they went out of business.

I agree - if you are looking for a quality bike, then used might be your only option for the price range you have.

I actually work for the Forzani Group, which owns Sport Chek. It isn't that the bikes are "crap" per se. Usually, if you have problems it is due to poor assembly more than anything. They aren't of the utmost quality, but are generally good for most riders. It's like the difference between a Hyundai and a Toyota. Yes, you'll have more problems with the Hyundai and it will stand up to less abuse, but it is a lot cheaper and will still get you from point a to point b. (This analogy is getting old though... Hyundai is actually making some decent vehicles now...)

For your use, I would avoid the mountain bike style. What you really want is a road bike. But if you DO go with the mountain bike style, make sure you purchase a hardtail. Don't bother with any of the dual suspension bullshit - it just drives up the weight. Make sure you get a bike with aluminum suspension, since that will take a good 3-5 pounds off the bike right there.

That Norco bike looks like an excellent deal. But it has an 18" frame, which is pretty much your absolute minimum given your height. Really, you would be best off looking for a bike with a 19 or 20" frame. Still, I would check it out at that price; just pay particular attention to your riding position, and make sure the handlebars will clear your knees when you are turning, and pedalling at the same time. (I am almost 6ft, and I found an 18" uncomfortable and subsequently sold it.)

Stealth22
08-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Two years ago, I got a brand new '07 Norco Mountaineer at Bow Cycle for $450. Its not as good as other bikes out there, but its a hell of a lot better than the Sportchek/Canadian Tire bikes.

Here's the '09 model...Bow Cycle has other stuff in that price range too: http://www.bowcycle.com/bc09/bikes/mountain/norco-mountaineer.shtml

EDIT: Reading > me...if its something you're going to ride downtown every day, follow what Kloubek said and get a road bike. But if you're going to use it for more than just riding downtown, a mountain hardtail is probably the best. But you might want to spend a little more if you're going brand new, or just get a used bike. The Mountaineer that I bought is pretty much an entry-level bike when you're talking about the quality you get with brands like Trek, Specialized, and Norco. I just use mine for really casual riding.

I'd at least take a trip down to Bow Cycle though, see what they say is best for you, and see what they have in used bikes or leftover 2008 models.

yellowsnow
08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
I've never rode a road bike before... i've always had a mountain bike. is it a very different ride? is it more unstable than a mountain bike? i'm never going to use the bike to go off jumps or go down a mountain, so maybe a road bike would be better for me...

Also, I'm planning to ride my bike as much as i can in the winter if conditions aren't too bad. will a road bike slip around everywhere?

If you guys had to choose, would you pick the TREK bike or the NORCO bikes mentioned above in the kijiji ad? TREK being $200 more expensive.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

FiveFreshFish
08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Have you considered a hybrid bike?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_bicycle

im2fst4u
08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
If you guys had to choose, would you pick the TREK bike or the NORCO bikes mentioned above in the kijiji ad? TREK being $200 more expensive.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Trek for sure but I would take it for a spin as it is only a 17.5" frame....may be a little small on you. I am 5'11" and I ride a 19" Rocky Mountain ETS X-50 and I find it to be a little on the larger side for a comfortable ride.
Test ride both and see what fits you best.

Mitsu3000gt
08-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Look at a Giant SEEK 3. It will be $500. Disc brakes, and geared towards more of a road/commuter bike. A friend has one as well and he loves it. Excellent bike for the price and perfect for what you want to do.

stellerGT
08-30-2009, 11:41 PM
I you`re lookign for a new hardtail bike, BowCycle has a few on their website for under $550, Cannondale, Specialized, Norco bikes with mechanical disc brakes, lower end suntour forks, and aluminum frames. Way better than anything from sportcheck/sportmart.

Lucky97
08-30-2009, 11:50 PM
yellowsnow i sent you a pmd

scary_perry
08-31-2009, 06:46 PM
I would scour the classifieds for a used Stumpjumper M4 or newer.

Or, I would take up running and keep saving money until I had enough for a good new bike.

dooman24
08-31-2009, 06:53 PM
pmed

yellowsnow
08-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the offers guys, I'm looking for either a road bike or a hybrid though.

will probably end up getting a hybrid... road bikes are friggen expensive.

scary_perry
09-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Nah they just sell super fast.

I had an awesome Brodie Dynamo that I sold for $450 a while back. It was all decked out for commuting and was less than a year old.

trevh
09-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Don't waste your time. If you want to ride a bike and have it around for some time you need to look at expanding your budget to 1000 bucks or greater.

swak
09-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by trevh
Don't waste your time. If you want to ride a bike and have it around for some time you need to look at expanding your budget to 1000 bucks or greater.

Not necessarily true, in those manners.

As long as you maintain that $450 bike, itll be good as new, maybe upgrade some of the components.

Unless youre competing, you wont need the creme of the creme in bikes.

yellowsnow
09-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Which bike would you guys get?

1. Trek 7.2
www.ridleys.com
http://www.ridleys.com/images/2009-bikes/714-2009.jpg

2. Kona Dew (won't come in white... all out of stock.. but a bronze/brown)
www.bowcycle.com
http://www.bowcycle.com/bc09/images/bikes/hybrid-comfort/kona-dew.jpg

3. Opus Adagio
http://www.opusbike.com/site_urbain.php?lang=en
http://www.velaube.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/Adagio093.jpg

4. Devinci Stockholm
www.ridleys.com
http://www.ridleys.com/images/2009-bikes/872-2009.jpg

Specs can be found on those websites... i'm gonna be test riding them all this weekend, but wouldn't mind some feedback. THX!

fast95pony
09-19-2009, 12:51 AM
I have a Devinci Oslo (similar to the Stockholm) Nice bike . Light ,works well. Little above your price range though...