PDA

View Full Version : Yellow light shortened?

Xtrema
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
I notice this more and more lately and I thought I was going crazy then I read this:

http://www.motorists.org/blog/6-cities-that-were-caught-shortening-yellow-light-times-for-profit/

Fuck, is the city shortening yellow light to maximum red light camera revenue? Beyond CSI need to take on this case.

inline6turbo
08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Is the 4 seconds standard for Canada as well? Is there somewhere we can find this info?

This is pretty interesting.

adam c
08-26-2009, 06:11 PM
i've noticed the lights seem to be shorter at intersections with red light cameras

nismodrifter
08-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Check this story out....the numbers involved are just insane:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7862893.stm

DayGlow once posted that in Calgary the times are 3 seconds if speeds are lower than 80km/h, and 4 seconds if speeds are above 80 (those are his observations).

With the speed-on-green cams in place they should be making more than enough $$, if they are shortening the yellows too then double shame on them.

DayGlow
08-26-2009, 08:26 PM
That has been my own personal observation I've made because I was curious. I have no idea what the official times should be. If the city is shortening lights a might big stink should be raised.

mr2mike
08-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Definitely larger intersections that you're crossing say 4 lanes or 5 (with turning lane) are longer from what I've noticed. Downtown, they're definitely the same across the board and even setup in succession so if you get one green, you get them all.

What I don't like is the don't walk signs sometimes don't give you any warning. I typically use these on stale greens to determine how much time I have if they're flashing or solid. I've seen them change to solid and the light turns yellow at the same time. Not cool. Give us some warning.

Mibz
08-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Definitely larger intersections that you're crossing say 4 lanes or 5 (with turning lane) are longer from what I've noticed. Downtown, they're definitely the same across the board and even setup in succession so if you get one green, you get them all. I don't find that the yellow is longer on those, just the time when all lights are red.

The intersection HERE (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=162nd+ave+and+shawbrooke+dr&sll=50.903939,-114.089541&sspn=0.010974,0.027874&ie=UTF8&ll=50.904007,-114.089499&spn=0.010974,0.027874&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A) at 162nd Ave and Shawbrooke Dr/Somercrest St is a perfect example. There's a pretty wide median on 162nd and so when the lights change from East/West to North/South there is a huge, like 3 or 4 second, span when all lights are red.

Pollywog
08-27-2009, 12:39 PM
It might be all in my head, but I was thinking that many of the intersections I am used to have shorter yellow light timing now.

3g4u
08-27-2009, 02:19 PM
$:rolleyes:

bspot
08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
What I don't like is the don't walk signs sometimes don't give you any warning. I typically use these on stale greens to determine how much time I have if they're flashing or solid. I've seen them change to solid and the light turns yellow at the same time. Not cool. Give us some warning.

Pedestrian lights are for pedestrians.

Traffic lights are for traffic. You shouldn't need anything more than traffic lights to operate a car properly.

B4tMan
08-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Downtown, they're definitely the same across the board and even setup in succession so if you get one green, you get them all.
True. Very nice setup.

max_boost
08-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Definitely larger intersections that you're crossing say 4 lanes or 5 (with turning lane) are longer from what I've noticed. Downtown, they're definitely the same across the board and even setup in succession so if you get one green, you get them all.

Yeah I love it when I can hit all the greens haha

I'm noticing a few more intersections have the count down # below the walk sign, that helps a lot.

djayz
08-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
162nd Ave and Shawbrooke Dr/Somercrest St is a perfect example. There's a pretty wide median on 162nd and so when the lights change from East/West to North/South there is a huge, like 3 or 4 second, span when all lights are red.

I would say the 3 to 4 second span is for safety for those people that don't judge the light properly and run a red. This is pretty much standard in all intersections where all lights are red for 3-4 seconds before any direction turns green.

As for those countdown timers in downtown, those are a godsend you don't have to speed up if you know you have enough time, makes guessing the intersection must safer and during rush hour you know if theres room for you across the intersection or if you should just wait for the next light cycle instead of getting caught in the middle blocking traffic.
Should put those up in downtown everywhere, helps pedestrians and traffic :thumbsup:

TorqueDog
08-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm VERY interested to see what the yellow light times SHOULD be versus what they are.

mr2mike
08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Pedestrian lights are for pedestrians.

Traffic lights are for traffic. You shouldn't need anything more than traffic lights to operate a car properly.

Ya, I don't need anything more than traffic lights. But it's called using your resources.
Also the same reason why I use trapster.com, radar detectors and webcams for traffic.

Originally posted by max_boost

I'm noticing a few more intersections have the count down # below the walk sign, that helps a lot.
Definitely.
Although I try not to run lights downtown because I know pedestrians always jump the gun and walk on yellow lights.

B4tMan
08-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Also the same reason why I use trapster.com, radar detectors and webcams for traffic.

Smart guy :)