PDA

View Full Version : driving a vehicle without insurance

trout
08-26-2009, 07:41 PM
what is the fine in Alberta driving without insurance ? Cost and jail ? or what?

inline6turbo
08-26-2009, 07:49 PM
$3500- $10,000 fine

I may have just went through that when falsely accused :rolleyes: :thumbsdow

Weapon_R
08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Around $2500 but discretion is left to the judge for sentencing.

FiveFreshFish
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Jail term would be nice.

Hamann
08-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Huge fine than a huge jump in your future insurance rates.

Not worth risking it

im2fst4u
08-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Jail term would be nice.

I am with you! You hit someone or kill someone then you are screwed for life and the person you injure must sue you for damages.......no insurance = MESS without question. It is the law for a reason. Not worth the risk to yourself or other drivers on the roads.

Might want to add JAIL TERM to the list and I am sure you will get more votes.

DayGlow
08-26-2009, 08:34 PM
First offense is around $2900 all said and told. Also it's 30 days in jail in default if you don't pay.

The real cost would be when you try to get insurance afterwards and they ream you hard with no lube.

Boosted Gtir
08-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Jail term would be nice.

+100!

I was hit by an uninsured driver before and it was a nightmare! I really hope that you are not asking this question with the intent of risking it. If you cannot afford insurance, please dont drive. :banghead:

signature7
08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Dayglow,
What is the consequence of driving without insurance, and without a licence? Is it more lenient than what Op suggested, in terms of getting insurance in the future. The reason I ask is I knew of someone who did that, and they seemed to just have to pay impound fees to get the car out, this was about 5 years ago though if that makes a difference.

Also, what if a licensed child takes their parents car out but they aren't under their parent's policy? Or driving a friends car?
Is that the same as driving uninsured?

TorqueDog
08-26-2009, 09:00 PM
LOL Why is this a poll? :facepalm:

Originally posted by trout
what is the fine in Alberta driving without insurance ? Cost and jail ? or what? A fuck of a lot more expensive than just buying the damn insurance.

psycoticclown
08-26-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by signature7
Dayglow,
What is the consequence of driving without insurance, and without a licence? Is it more lenient than what Op suggested, in terms of getting insurance in the future. The reason I ask is I knew of someone who did that, and they seemed to just have to pay impound fees to get the car out, this was about 5 years ago though if that makes a difference.

Also, what if a licensed child takes their parents car out but they aren't under their parent's policy? Or driving a friends car?
Is that the same as driving uninsured?

Insurance goes with the car, not the driver. As long as the car itself is insured, you're fine, provided you have permission to drive said car.

whiskas
08-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
A fuck of a lot more expensive than just buying the damn insurance.

Not to mention if you hit someone and are at fault you'll probably get beat to death with a tire iron and left to rot in a ditch on the side of the road.

badatusrnames
08-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Worst. Poll. EVAR.

97'Scort
08-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Just declare yourself a "freeman on the land' and run with that. I dare you.

im2fst4u
08-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Just declare yourself a "freeman on the land' and run with that. I dare you.

:rofl: :rofl:

And make sure you tell the officers that they have no jurisdiction over you....that will get you off the hook....trust me! ;)

B4tMan
08-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Boosted Gtir
I was hit by an uninsured driver before and it was a nightmare! I really hope that you are not asking this question with the intent of risking it. If you cannot afford insurance, please dont drive. :banghead:

Same problem. The police officer at Chinook only called the other party's phone number (provided); also, although I had the ID of the guy, said cannot pursue.

Insurance company ING eventually covered my deductible. Horrible / lengthy experience.

se7en
08-27-2009, 11:56 AM
ummmm...wait...hold on a second.

I made some bad decisions in my life, including driving without insurance(with cars I just bought, and was driving home no less)

three in total.(I know, I am a sucker for that shit.)
Three things.

1. YOUR INSURANCE DOESN"T GO UP!!!!whom ever the fool that says that is wrong.

2. Same fine everytime, but year in between though...

and 3.

don't pay the ticket.

here is the trick.

Wait until after the fine is due, and you have a warrent for your arrest. Then, go down to the police station when you have a couple days off, and ask them a few questions, enough to get them to ask your name.

When they arrest you, it take like 28-29 days off of the 30 day sentence because of the inconvienience(sp?) to you.

While in said jail, ask to speak to the JP, and he/she will let you out on your own recog. With like 20-30 community service hours.
The likes of which, you can serve on your on time, when it is most conveinient(sp? again?).

I'm not saying go drive without insurance, but if it happens to you, this is the best way to go about paying for it(cheapest anyway)

97'Scort
08-27-2009, 11:59 AM
So...you're advocating a criminal record instead?

im2fst4u
08-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by se7en

I made some bad decisions in my life, including driving without insurance(with cars I just bought, and was driving home no less)

Three things.

and 3.

don't pay the ticket.

here is the trick.

Wait until after the fine is due, and you have a warrent for your arrest. Then, go down to the police station when you have a couple days off, and ask them a few questions, enough to get them to ask your name.

When they arrest you, it take like 28-29 days off of the 30 day sentence because of the inconvienience(sp?) to you.

While in said jail, ask to speak to the JP, and he/she will let you out on your own recog. With like 20-30 community service hours.
The likes of which, you can serve on your on time, when it is most conveinient(sp? again?).

I'm not saying go drive without insurance, but if it happens to you, this is the best way to go about paying for it(cheapest anyway)

And this is why we have forums, for morons like this to voice their valued experiences with everyone.
If anyone even considers driving without insurance......NOT WORTH IT EVEN WITH THIS VALUED KNOWLEDGE. :facepalm:

GQBalla
08-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Three things.

and 3.

don't pay the ticket.

here is the trick.

this deserves a :facepalm:

even though you said you shouldn't go drive without insurance

dexlargo
08-27-2009, 01:30 PM
[Stupid parts removed - weird, there's nothing left. Huh.] Almost none of what you wrote is correct.

For each subsequent offence within 5 years, the minimum fine is doubled from $2500.00 to $5000.00.

While you are correct that you can choose to serve out your fine rather than pay it, getting arrested does not shorten the sentence by 28-29 days. In criminal courts, pre-trial custody nets you (currently - this may change soon) a 2 day credit for each 1 day spent in custody. This is because the Remand Centre is overcrowded and is a very unpleasant place to spend time. Even compared to the Spyhill Facility.

Usually Driving without insurance nets 30 days in default, so if you get taken to the Remand Centre after being arrested (unlikely unless you missed your trial date) you'll get 2 days off your 30 day total for spending a night in Remand.

Oh, and the JP doesn't give community service hours on No insurance, he can only impose sentence if you plead guilty at your bail hearing, and then all he can do is give you your fine and tell you how many days in default of payment you would serve (hint: 30 minus however many days you have already been in times 2 - if they even give you the 2 for 1 credit. He doesn't have to if he doesn't want to).

Having never received a No Insurance ticket, I can't comment on whether or not your insurance goes up, maybe someone else can clue you in on that one. I think that there are some insurance people on this forum...

Anyway, if you think that's a great deal, and don't mind personally being liable for any damages that you cause driving - which could be up into the millions these days, then go ahead and drive without insurance.

Why this pisses me off: There are consequences to others too. Since you don't pay for insurance, I'm guessing that you've only got $50 in assets in the whole world. So your wages will be garnished for the rest of your life, but that'll only get the victims $100.00/week - based on my estimate of your income potential. The uninsured fund won't make up the entire difference for them. So you're not just screwing yourself, you're screwing everyone else too. Can you blame us for getting mad?

se7en
08-27-2009, 03:01 PM
lol, no criminal record for being arrested....at least not if you are a regular smoe,,,,not sure for professionals with degrees and doctors/etc....can't have ANY arrest record at all I think for them.

JP does give community service for no insurance. ONLY if you get arrested with a warrant out for your arrest!

if you voluntarily go in for the 30 days, you spend 30 days.

It happened to me not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES!

maybe people can't read.

I AM NOT SAYING DRIVE WITHOUT INS!!

Duh, that is dumb. I am just saying my experiences with the whole process.

PLEASE READ MY POST CAREFULLY.

My insurance is plenty cheap for my three cars, and my house(my assets for what it's worth).

You can't argure with these facts.

se7en
08-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I wanted to add, I guess I am a sucker for getting caught so many times, but what do ya do. I was young.

HyperZell
08-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Holy shit.

B4tMan
08-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
And this is why we have forums, for morons like this to voice their valued experiences with everyone.

oh haha come on, you're a bit tough on the guy, although his advice was ... quite soemthing :nut:

TorqueDog
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Jesus tap-dancing Christ, se7en. :facepalm:

turbotrip
08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
i dunno why everyone is crying about se7en's post; i think its great and very informative for anyone who might be in that situation, thanks!

im2fst4u
08-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

oh haha come on, you're a bit tough on the guy, although his advice was ... quite soemthing :nut:

Perhaps I was a little tough. Having said that I know of 2 people who are now in wheelchairs due to accidents with uninsured drivers and it has been a very tough road for them and their families! Touchy situation with me as I watched them struggle for years over the accidents.

Moron was uncalled for as he was a young driver when he was driving without insurance so I will retract the "moron" comment and change it to "ignorant", young and unaware of what could have happened. He should thank his lucky stars that he never subjected himself or others to the misfortune of an accident, for if he did I can assure you he would not be on here posting the way to beat the system and law that most responsible drivers and adults adhere to.

im2fst4u
08-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
i dunno why everyone is crying about se7en's post; i think its great and very informative for anyone who might be in that situation, thanks!

Why would a responsible, law abiding citizen find themselves in this situation?
All it takes is a telephone call to the insurance company to have it insured before driving on the public roadway (providing you already have insurance and are buying another vehicle).
If you cant afford to have insurance or are not eligible for coverage you should not be behind the wheel in the first place.

I cannot fathom someone going out deliberately and driving without insurance no matter what the circumstances are. Why would anyone who is responsible consider this as an option? Its simple......no responsibility nor do they consider the consequences for their actions and therefore should not be behind the wheel.

B4tMan
08-27-2009, 03:34 PM

Perhaps I was a little tough.

No worries, it was funny as hell :D

dexlargo
08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
lol, no criminal record for being arrested....Who said anything about a criminal record? Driving without insurance is not a criminal charge - it only goes on your driving record, no matter who you are.
JP does give community service for no insurance. ONLY if you get arrested with a warrant out for
your arrest!I'm not going to say that this never happened in the history of mankind, maybe it did happen for you. It is not done currently. I work in the courts, I've seen the bail hearings for people arrested on these warrants. The current process just doesn't happen the way that you are claiming.
You can't argure with these facts. Says who?

se7en
08-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Okay, so, all the things I mentioned happened to me. I am not stating that they happen all the time, but the courts don't want 'law abiding' people in jail, and do what they can to get you out with alternative payment options. The like of witch are usually far less that the original fine.

The fact that it goes on your driving record is not disputed. What I disagree with is the fact that it raises your insurance. The actual ticket doesn't. What could raise your insurance is if you hit someone or something that RESULTED in a D.W.I. ticket.

Don't have to hate on me, everyone does stupid things when they are younger. Only some get caught though, the likes of which is probably because I live in a smaller community where the police have nothing better to do :)

Disoblige
08-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Three things.

and 3.

don't pay the ticket.

here is the trick.

lol.. This is perfect example to NOT drive without insurance so you don't have to waste time with this bullshit.

se7en
08-28-2009, 07:53 PM
For sure. Couldn't agree more.

turbotrip
08-28-2009, 09:56 PM
se7en is mostly right in his posts; the ticket doesnt raise your insurance

Kavy
08-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Or you could just travel back in time and take a different route home so you don't get pulled over by the cops in the first place.

That's what i do whenever i get caught in one of my 3 cars.

You can't argue with these facts.

Toma
08-29-2009, 12:40 AM
I for one don't for a second believe insurance should be mandatory.

se7en
08-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Heh. I sorta believe the same thing, except society as a whole would be chaos for a while.....while we get used to that system.

But that is a whole other debate.

One thing it[tickets] has taught me though, is to pay you fucking insurance. It is a necessary evil that can not be ignored.

Toma
08-29-2009, 12:52 AM

Why would a responsible, law abiding citizen find themselves in this situation?

Cause the current insruance regulations can land a person with $12,000+ a year insurance for just a regular car if they have had enough tickets/suspensions on their record..... This sort of rate as a result of TICKETS, and not CLAIMS.

If I was in this situation, I certainly WOULD drive without insurance..... as a matter of fact, I know a couple people now that DO for this very reason.

Thankfully, I have a great insurance company, with no tickets/accidents for like 10 years, so my insurance on 3 vehicles is $1400 a year....

but you can easily see the incentive, ESPECIALLY if like me, you do not believe in car "accidents".

Toma
08-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Heh. I sorta believe the same thing, except society as a whole would be chaos for a while.....while we get used to that system.

But that is a whole other debate.

One thing it[tickets] has taught me though, is to pay you fucking insurance. It is a necessary evil that can not be ignored.

True.... I'm sure insurance started innocently enough... as a optional service for bad drivers...

What pissed me off most is if you let your insurance lapse... like a friend of mine who moved downtown and did not have to drive. In fact, sold her car. 2 years later, when she needed a car again.... whamo! damn near double the normal rates.

97'Scort
08-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get a jail sentence, community service, or probation, as you stated, that would show up on a criminal record check, correct?

DayGlow
08-29-2009, 04:32 AM
Intersting, I've been td by people in the business that a no insurance ticket raises your rates. Could it be a company policy for that company?

se7en
08-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get a jail sentence, community service, or probation, as you stated, that would show up on a criminal record check, correct?

Nope. You have to be formally charged with an offense for it to show up on a criminal record check.

There will be an arrest record, but as far as I know(personal experience) I have never had any negative repercussions from it.

RE:dayglow:

I have asked all the different insurance agents over the years that I have dealt with regarding DWI offenses, and they all have said that it doesn't affect my rates.

It is possible that some companies have policies regarding this sort of thing, but I haven't ran into one yet.

911fever
08-29-2009, 12:56 PM
^ such a fucking lie. Having a no-insurance ticket will raise your rates. Especially if you get caught without any policy at all or with a forged policy slip.

se7en
08-29-2009, 01:36 PM
um, forged policy? I never mentioned anything like that.

hasn't ever raised my rates....call your insurance agent and ask them :P

Kennyredline
08-29-2009, 11:03 PM

Three things.

and 3.

don't pay the ticket.

here is the trick.

Why is there no smilie for a head shake and a "holy fucking shit...."?
:facepalm: will have to do for now.

se7en
08-30-2009, 09:57 AM
already been done doughhead :poosie:

was just posting my experiences.

jakayoh
09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Na

ZenOps
09-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Let me guess, you are moving here from LA.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/lapd-turns-a-blind-eye-to-illegal-aliens-without-drivers-licenses/

"There are approximately 600,000 illegal aliens living in the city of Los Angeles, or about 15 percent of the total population. For the time being, California law does not allow non-citizens to obtain driver’s licenses, but many illegal aliens choose to risk the consequences and drive anyway."

And then there are the legal US citizens who simply decided to stop paying, which makes up another 6 to 8 percent of the population or so, bringing the total up to somewhere around one in every five people driving without a license.

And if you don't have a license, you for sure don't have insurance.

This is why they don't even try to license guns in the US - they can't even get people to register their cars.

DEATH2000
09-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by jakayoh
:drama:

I got a warrant for no insurance I thought I had time cause I got an extension. Ended up arrested driving handcuffed spent one day in remand finished up doing community service for roughly 13-14 days worth to clear ticket. Ended up with a crim record and obviously gonna have to pay more money for insurance. I do have no previous convictions when it comes to driving, a good clean record and am a 'mature' driver. I think my odds are good. I am angry I did not consult a lawyer sooner , this whole experience was avoidable had I know it would lead to me going to jail and being arrested on a warrant. I cant keep my current job either due to being 'processed.' This whole experience is a real inconveinence.

The fact that I did not know my rights and deal with my charges appropriately has caused me alot of headaches. I was driving under the 'impression' that I had insurance(under my better halfs policy)so I end up being a 'Criminal' according to Canadian law. Not fair no way no how no matter what anyone says !

To sum it up ' Know Your Rights before you end up in a plight'(similiar to mine).

You actually got lucky. A no insurance ticket ($2,875) is equivelant to 45 days in jail. The average rate is $150-175 is equivelant to one full day in jail.

Anyone who things that you can get multiple "no insurance" tickets and not have the fine change is wrong. The fine STARTS at $2,875 for your first offense. However the ticket is a Court Apperance Required ticket. If you piss off the judge you could expect to pay more. Second or third offense, expect it to double. I have seen a couple people rack up close to $30,000 in fines for repeated no insurance tickets.

dexlargo
09-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Ended up with a crim record and obviously gonna have to pay more money for insurance... so I end up being a 'Criminal' according to Canadian law. Not fair no way no how no matter what anyone says !

To sum it up ' Know Your Rights before you end up in a plight'(similiar to mine). you don't get a criminal record for that. You do get a entry on your driving record though. Stop whining.

friedn00dles
09-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Tip of the day: No insurance tickets & other non-moving violations do not warrant insurance premium increases. :clap:

ddduke
09-26-2012, 10:27 PM

The fact that I did not know my rights and deal with my charges appropriately has caused me alot of headaches. I was driving under the 'impression' that I had insurance(under my better halfs policy)so I end up being a 'Criminal' according to Canadian law.

This doesn't even make sense. Did your better half have valid insurance? If so then how did you get a no insurance ticket? I've been pulled over once in my moms car, my gfs and my friends and have never got a no insurance ticket because every time they had valid insurance.

guessboi
09-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Bet this newbie is a troll.

Duckman
09-29-2012, 01:31 AM
My wife just got clipped by some shithead a couple of days ago, pretty minor collision but the other driver couldn't produce a pink card so she calls me. I roll up and the kid tells me that his dad is bringing his insurance info.

Big red flag.

Then his story keeps changing as to the cause of the collsion. Flag #2.
I say enough, time for cops.
She calls, they come. Dad shows up in the meantime and gives me attitude.

Cop #1 arrives, talks to kid then wife, then me. I wasn't there so not much to talk about. Point out dad, this is where it gets entertaining, and cop says "I know dad"
Super.
Seeing how I had work to do and wife was OK, cops on scene, I leave.

Missed all the fun!

Talked with wife later and she tells me things got weird, I ask how so?

Dad gets cuffed and put in back of cruiser #1
Kid (driver) gets cuffed and put in back of cruiser #2
Kid's passenger gets cuffed and put in the back of cruiser #3 that arrived lights and siren!
Canada Post reponse team (kid hit letter carriers box too) shows up, many photos measurements etc.
Kid's van goes on a flatdeck, cops tell wife that the traffic part is done and she should go away while they deal with "other matters".

She does and phones our insurance company, gets appraisal done ($1900, maybe more depending on something called an RAH endorsement???)

This is how the hurting will start;
Because the kid's insurance was cancelled 6 months ago, he gets popped for his second no insurance offense.
Dad gets popped for presenting a forged financial responsibility card.
Our insurance company (Aviva) will sue the kid for every single nickel that they pay out as result of this. Not just the repairs but also the cost of the rental, physio visits (wife tweaked her neck a bit), our collision coverage deductable, every single cent.
Canada Post will sue the kid for the cost of their box.
Calgary Housing will sue the kid for the cost of repairing their landscaping.

So, assuming that he doesn't get charged with dangerous driving as well (seriously retarded move that caused the collision), I figure by the time the dust settles fuckstick and his dad are going to be out about $25K in lawsuits and lawyers fees plus whatever other sketchy shit they're into.

Sorry for the novel but I'm almost done.

From the first officer to arrive, if you are involved in a collision and any party cannot or will not produce license, registration and insurance on the spot or you think they might be fake. Call 911 and tell them.

Any song and dance bullshit or story, fuck 'em, get cops asap because chances are 100% that they're dirty and why should you get fucked so some assclown can skate?

kvg
09-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by trout
what is the fine in Alberta driving without insurance ? Cost and jail ? or what?

I wouldn't know, I'm not an idiot:nut:

speedog
09-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I got a warrant for no insurance I thought I had time cause I got an extension. Ended up arrested driving handcuffed spent one day in remand finished up doing community service for roughly 13-14 days worth to clear ticket. Ended up with a crim record and obviously gonna have to pay more money for insurance. I do have no previous convictions when it comes to driving, a good clean record and am a 'mature' driver. I think my odds are good. I am angry I did not consult a lawyer sooner , this whole experience was avoidable had I know it would lead to me going to jail and being arrested on a warrant. I cant keep my current job either due to being 'processed.' This whole experience is a real inconveinence.

The fact that I did not know my rights and deal with my charges appropriately has caused me alot of headaches. I was driving under the 'impression' that I had insurance(under my better halfs policy)so I end up being a 'Criminal' according to Canadian law. Not fair no way no how no matter what anyone says !

To sum it up ' Know Your Rights before you end up in a plight'(similiar to mine).

Driving under the "impression" - I wonder how many times a line like this or something similar has been heard by any traffic cop or judge?

themack89
09-29-2012, 01:48 PM
I wonder if there is anything unconstitutional about forcing people to buy insurance.

Redlyne_mr2
09-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Duckman
My wife just got clipped by some shithead a couple of days ago, pretty minor collision but the other driver couldn't produce a pink card so she calls me. I roll up and the kid tells me that his dad is bringing his insurance info.

Big red flag.

Cop #1 arrives, talks to kid then wife, then me. I wasn't there so not much to talk about. Point out dad, this is where it gets entertaining, and cop says "I know dad"
Super.

Missed all the fun!

Kid's passenger gets cuffed and put in the back of cruiser #3 that arrived lights and siren!
Canada Post reponse team (kid hit letter carriers box too) shows up, many photos measurements etc.
Kid's van goes on a flatdeck, cops tell wife that the traffic part is done and she should go away while they deal with "other matters".

She does and phones our insurance company, gets appraisal done ($1900, maybe more depending on something called an RAH endorsement???)

Because the kid's insurance was cancelled 6 months ago, he gets popped for his second no insurance offense.
Our insurance company (Aviva) will sue the kid for every single nickel that they pay out as result of this. Not just the repairs but also the cost of the rental, physio visits (wife tweaked her neck a bit), our collision coverage deductable, every single cent.

So, assuming that he doesn't get charged with dangerous driving as well (seriously retarded move that caused the collision), I figure by the time the dust settles fuckstick and his dad are going to be out about $25K in lawsuits and lawyers fees plus whatever other sketchy shit they're into.

From the first officer to arrive, if you are involved in a collision and any party cannot or will not produce license, registration and insurance on the spot or you think they might be fake. Call 911 and tell them.

Any song and dance bullshit or story, fuck 'em, get cops asap because chances are 100% that they're dirty and why should you get fucked so some assclown can skate?

The issue is that the kid will never pay, there will be a judgement agaisnt him and eventually if he ever comes into money or buys a house he can have it seized but there are a lot of what ifs.

Masked Bandit
09-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Duckman

Big red flag.

Super.

Missed all the fun!

It's a good thing you have collision coverage on your vehicle. If you had been going with just PLPD or even PLPD & comp, the damage to your vehicle wouldn't be covered for anything.

I can't believe there are people running around with fake pink card (the father). That's brutal.

Masked Bandit
09-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by themack89
I wonder if there is anything unconstitutional about forcing people to buy insurance.

You don't HAVE to buy insurance. Just stay off the roads, that's all.

It would be financially foolish to put up your own cash as a bond even if you had it. Back in the day you could actually do just that. Prove to the government that you had the financial means to pay for an accident and that was good enough. However this was long before plastic cars & silly bodily injury lawsuits.

speedog
09-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
It's a good thing you have collision coverage on your vehicle. If you had been going with just PLPD or even PLPD & comp, the damage to your vehicle wouldn't be covered for anything.

I can't believe there are people running around with fake pink card (the father). That's brutal.

As a side note, there is the 'Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program' in Alberta (link (http://justice.alberta.ca/programs_services/mvac/Pages/default.aspx)) although it's pretty limited in what it will cover. Probably best to have the SEF 44 endorsement added to your vehicle's insurance policy as there is probably a lot more uninsured or under-insured drivers out there then many of us are aware of.

StreetRacerX
09-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Have driven unregistered before, but never uninsured.

themack89
09-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

You don't HAVE to buy insurance. Just stay off the roads, that's all.

It would be financially foolish to put up your own cash as a bond even if you had it. Back in the day you could actually do just that. Proove to the government that you had the financial means to pay for an accident and that was good enough. However this was long before plastic cars & silly bodily injury lawsuits.

Ohh yeah I forgot.. Big corps don't even buy insurance anymore. When I worked for Halliburton I remember they didn't have insurance, they would just buy someone a new vehicle if they got smoked.

ExtraSlow
09-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by themack89

Ohh yeah I forgot.. Big corps don't even buy insurance anymore. When I worked for Halliburton I remember they didn't have insurance, they would just buy someone a new vehicle if they got smoked.
large companies still buy the mandatory liability insurance for every vehcile. They don't bother with the collision or comprehensive insurance, because they can absorb that loss.

Masked Bandit
10-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by speedog

As a side note, there is the 'Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Program' in Alberta (link (http://justice.alberta.ca/programs_services/mvac/Pages/default.aspx)) although it's pretty limited in what it will cover. Probably best to have the SEF 44 endorsement added to your vehicle's insurance policy as there is probably a lot more uninsured or under-insured drivers out there then many of us are aware of.

Oh hell you don't ever want to have to go the route of the government program. It absolutely exists but it's crazy slow to try and work through that process. It also doesn't provide any coverage whatsoever for physical damage to the vehicle, just bodily injury.

DEATH2000
10-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by dexlargo
you don't get a criminal record for that. You do get a entry on your driving record though. Stop whining.
Sorry, but he is partially right. He stated he spend the night in Remand. Any person admited to the Remand Centre is given whats called a "CoMIS" number. Its a unique identification number assigned to a person that stays with them until they die. You can bet that a criminal background check will most likely show this. A vulnerable sector check will.

A roommate i had a number of years ago got a $150 transit ticket and contemplated doing the one night in Remand instead of paying for it, but after being informed of the consequenses he decided not to.