PDA

View Full Version : Whats A Better Repair: Plug or Patch???

im2fst4u
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Recently a buddy of mine and I had a talk and we both could not see the benefits to either application for repairing a tire. What do you think is a better repair? This would be for a family vehicle application. He did say that the plug "surrounds" and fills the cords and would make a better repair.

EDIT: I guess I should have mentioned that this would be for a nail repair.

Tik-Tok
08-26-2009, 08:13 PM
I've never used a patch, but have used plugs.

On a daily driving, non performance vehicle, I've had them last 10k km (before I sold it), and the plug worked fine.

Though, if you can afford it, just change the tire.

omfgcurtis
08-26-2009, 08:15 PM
have used some with combinations of both plug/patch

http://www.reliableautorepairil.com/Images/Services/Tires/PlugPatch.jpg

im2fst4u
08-26-2009, 08:23 PM
When using the plug method, do you need to use glue or will the glue that is on the plug work by itself to seal the leak?

Tik-Tok
08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
When using the plug method, do you need to use glue or will the glue that is on the plug work by itself to seal the leak?

On the few I've done, I just stick it in, leave 1/4" out, and melt it down with a lighter.

G-ZUS
08-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

On the few I've done, I just stick it in, leave 1/4" out, and melt it down with a lighter.

:werd:

signature7
08-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Dad always reminds me to do this, It's a rites of passage for his kids to go through the patching of a tire haha. Sometimes I think he purposely does it LOL.

Ferio_vti
08-26-2009, 09:25 PM
I've used those 'temporary' plugs from Crappy tire on several cars without any issues. How long are they supposed to last? I dunno. But I've have one on the same tire with no leak or need to have it 'profesionally' redone.

Errol.
08-26-2009, 10:15 PM
I used a plug. Put it in about a month ago and its still good.
Even went to a track day with it.

CelicaST-162
08-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by omfgcurtis
have used some with combinations of both plug/patch

If you're able to dismount, this is THE repair method to use. Best of both worlds, you can't go wrong. This is used by the professionals and it's very reliable for most of the time.

heavyD
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
If you plug/patch it don't track it. For everyday use though they both work surprisingly well.

tirebob
09-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

If you're able to dismount, this is THE repair method to use. Best of both worlds, you can't go wrong. This is used by the professionals and it's very reliable for most of the time.

This.... /\/\/\

Both plug only and patch only do the job much of the time, but the chance of the repair failing and continuing to leak, or starting to leak again down the road, is much higher than it is with the combination repair.

Only plugged, the inner liner which seals the tire is not fixed so it is possible for air to slowly travel through the plies of the tire, and with steel belts it can slowly saw away at the plug cord itself. After 20+ years in this business, THIS type of repair is the one that would have the highest level of failure, but again, it is not like it was every other tire, or even close to that, but it still was the one we would see more re-repairs than any other type...

Only patched, moisture and crap can still get into the injury from outside which can in turn rot or damage the cords in the tire over time causing premature failure, or even contribute to ply seperation...

The combi repair both seals the injury from inside and out, giving the tire the best chance of lasting its full life without any more incident of leaking from the same spot...