PDA

View Full Version : JL vs Image Dynamics

20veloz02
11-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Looking to buy a new system, what subs do u recomend, JL w6v2 or image dynamics IDQ, or any other better subs, money is no object, thanx for the help

ryder_23
11-08-2003, 09:31 PM
arnt the jl w7's better? especially if money aint a thang, :rofl:

20veloz02
11-08-2003, 09:38 PM
According to firoz at soundsaround, for some reason, the w6v2 in a fiberglass box is better. I thought the same thing, how could this be?

Sean7
11-08-2003, 11:54 PM
Well of course he says the w6's are better, and do you know why? Cause he sells them and wants to make money off your ass.

As for good subs, what type of subs are you looking for, sound quality, or SPL?

Try to stay away from big brand names, such as sony, kenwood, rockford, apline. Good names to look for would be OZ, Memphis, Audiomobile, Digital Designs, Dynadio, Mmats, Old school Pheonix Gold or possibly Ti series if you want SPL.

But first you must decide if you want it to sound clean or loud.

20veloz02
11-09-2003, 12:12 AM
i am looking for overall good sound quality, but a stereo that can pound if i want it too, also, i have known firoz for many years, and he usually is alright with me, so is that a no to JL?

Is tantrum a good series of PG?

JohnnyBlaze
11-09-2003, 01:04 AM
yea i have tantrums and they are great

Gondi Stylez
11-09-2003, 04:53 AM
JL! i got them and love them!

20veloz02
11-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Gondi stylez, which series of JL are u running, and what amp to power them, if u dont mind me asking.

That.Guy.S30
11-09-2003, 01:30 PM
man screw jl's.. go high end man if money aint a thing.. eclipse, brahma(sp), focals and shit man
ive heard the w6v2 and w7 and was impressed but then i heard a pg ti.. haha destroyed the w7..

Weapon_R
11-09-2003, 02:03 PM
If you are really looking for a good subwoofer, go to the Elemental Designs website and order yourself a 12a. These subwoofers outperform the 13w7 and cost about 1/3 as much (approx $350-400). I don't have their website onhand but use a search engine.

Gondi Stylez
11-09-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 20veloz02
Gondi stylez, which series of JL are u running, and what amp to power them, if u dont mind me asking.

right now i have the lowest modle JL W0 and they are awsome! i bought them right when they got out and love them! i would love a pair of W7's but cant afford them and was thinking about 2 10" type r's but that is SPL where as the JL's are SQ! a buddy of mine has the W7 and it sounds amazing w/ the new 1000w alpine amp! i have the mrd-m300 as my amp for both my subs and it runs really well! pair up the new w7 or w6 with some nice speakers and u will have a sweet ass system! persoanlly id say either JL or PG which is what i have! :thumbsup: good luck!

theken
11-09-2003, 04:21 PM
i have a single 10w7, it punds and sounds so good, put it in the H.O. box, and it will sound 10 times better. i hit 133 DB with 1 10

20veloz02
11-09-2003, 04:27 PM
thanks for all the replies, personally, i think id like to run JL, since there are alot of satisfied cust, plus the company has years of experience behind them. thankyou all, your inputs are aperciated.

As for amps, is it smart to stick with JL?

spike98
11-09-2003, 05:58 PM
JL amps are amazing!! Any amp that can put out the rated power and more at ANY voltage between 11.5-14.5 and any load between 1.5-4.5ohms is WICKED in my books. There sound quality is amazing as well. BUT the price is killer! $1500 for a 1000/1! Nope not for me. There is lots you can do as far as amps.

To me it realy doesn't matter what the brand is to a certain extent. Like the "if lightning struck" amps are to stay away from. Brands suchs as Crunch, Pyramid, Pyle ect. Anything you can buy at wally world is CRAP!

Brands such as Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, ect. are decent brands that make power but the build quality and value aren't really there.

There are good amps out there that will give you good power for a decent price like JBL, Rockford (can be overpriced), Tsunami, Kicker ect.

Huge Power house names like Earthquake, US Amps (sweet sh*t), MMATS, Memphis MOJO ect the list goes on.

---JL would fit in here somewhere--

And there is the brands that are for audiophiles like Zapco, Xant, Mcintosh that are world renound, built perfect, put out nutso power and have MASSIVE reputations. These amps are the bomb but you better buy a wheel chair to because you will have to give up an arm and BOTH LEGS

Really it all boils down to you budget. Then look at application. Then look.

PS sorry for all this mumbo jumbo, hope it helps

20veloz02
11-09-2003, 06:30 PM
All your inputs are starting to clarify everything, thanks

)v(ortal
11-09-2003, 10:25 PM
re spl www.respl.com get the new "boobs" re, se ,re, hc or the XXX AMAZING SUB!!!!! or if you want u can get the DD subs (digital designs) there amazing sound and they can pound.... RE is an amazing company i can get u some pics of them and there "low" end subs are bigger then type-r's so ya... Mmatts is another good but very expensive but thats ok with u ;) welll i said my 2 cents

-db

)v(ortal
11-10-2003, 06:20 PM
oh with the new RE XXX you can get it in a QVC ( Quad Voice Coil )

-db

Phat_Tercel_YO!
11-11-2003, 08:09 PM
I don't much care for any of th ene wJL subs except for the W7, which I find is a little overkill in some areas and isn't all that much greater than many other subs.

As far as the IDQ V.2 goes, I would have to say it is one of the best sounding subs I have ever heard... but probably won't safely put out the volume you are most likely lookign for unless you ge ta couple of them and go ported... then they can move some air.

Aliante's and Velodynes are amazing SQ if you can possibly find them, very rare though.

As far as other subs, I heard the IDMax is even better than the IDQ, but I have not heard one yet, might want to take a chance?

Also other options are Brahma's, and XXX's for superior sound quality.

Personally, I say if you can find IDQ's easily, go with them. I would have to say they are my favorite sub, just kind of hit me in the right way.

JGerke
11-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Hey, yo man personally...if money aint no issue, go to Audio Concepts Mobile on 32nd Ave. NE right off of deerfoot.......unbelievable stuff there.......best shit you can buy, I know you said you are going to stick with JL subs, but go there and hear Eclipse subs.......they are amazing, for sound quality and bass, you would not be dissapointed........as for amps, go for Audison. simply amazing. a 300 watt audison amp will outpower a JL 800 watt amp, and with amazing quality.........but dont take my word for it........go over audio concepts and hear it for yourself.

)v(ortal
11-12-2003, 11:32 PM
^^ Eclips is a good sub... hyphonics is another good amp RE is amazin quality and also not to much money... if you want i can get u 2 RE XXX 1400$ that includes shippin and handling.... oh and ill put the word in for u on the QVC ;) let me know

-db

20veloz02
11-15-2003, 06:46 PM
i went to talk to audio concepts, and i think i would like to run 3 focal subs and front components, audisson amps, and alpine dvd player with slave monitor. does this sound like good quality?

KoukiS14
11-15-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 20veloz02
i went to talk to audio concepts, and i think i would like to run 3 focal subs and front components, audisson amps, and alpine dvd player with slave monitor. does this sound like good quality?

YES:thumbsup:

rc2002
11-15-2003, 07:44 PM
I'm biased because I have JL Audio, but in my honest opinion, it's the best stuff out there. I paid a little over $900 for my JL 500/1 Amplifier and it was worth every cent. I was trying for the longest time to get my hands on a 10W7 but I never had the money...

My vote is for JL.

Canadian 2.5RS
11-15-2003, 09:39 PM
no contest... ID all the way

jdmmavericktR
11-16-2003, 06:32 PM
I've got JL stuff in my car too, so thusly my vote followeth my wallet.

Barlow
11-22-2003, 01:44 AM
yeah, i dunno everyones gonna vouch for what they have cause honestly they got it cause they liekd it best so me i vote kicker, but mcintosh and xtant are all good, go with what you liek the sound of, go listen to every sub and then narrow it down from there.