PDA

View Full Version : River Cafe or The Ranche restaurant?

bigbadboss101
08-27-2009, 02:08 PM
River Cafe or The Ranche restaurant?

Planning to take a nice gal to. Anyone been to these two and can contrast?

dannie
08-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I find the River Cafe to be alright. I can't remember every being overly impressed with it, other than the view. I like where it is located, it is definately a one of a kind, type place.

I would take the Ranche over the River Cafe any day. It is in such an obscure place that your girl will wonder where you are going. The staff have always been fantastic. I have had them create a chefs menu for us on a number of occasions with fairly short notice. The food has always been impressive and the area is rather remote. We tend to go for a short walk after dinner just to see the area a little.

nonlinear
08-27-2009, 02:35 PM
river cafe decor is atrocious, too :barf: :barf: :barf:

Kritafo
08-27-2009, 02:43 PM
I would go with the Ranche

will_e_chill
08-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
River Cafe or The Ranche restaurant?

Planning to take a nice gal to. Anyone been to these two and can contrast?

My vote is for the River Cafe over the Ranche.

I've been to the River Cafe for lunch and breakfast several times and have always enjoyed the food and service. Plus you're on Prince's Island so you can go for a walk or catch a movie at Eau Claire after.

I've only been to the Ranche once for a wedding and the food was good but not memorable and the location was out of the way. Plus they did not have air condition in the middle of summer so it was a little hot.

If you really want to impress the girl I would suggest you try Rush.

Good luck.

buh_buh
08-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I was at the River Cafe last week, and I'd say the food was pretty good. Better than I anticipated since I read so many negative things about them on here. It was a bit pricey for a lunch though.

bignerd
08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
The Ranche has good food, no air conditioning as noted, just open windows.

The food was good, a little expensive though for what you got. Only dissapointment was the T-bone which was a little on the thin (like fast fry thickness) side. Dessert was the best part of the entire meal.

bigbadboss101
08-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Friend of mine suggested Capo in Inglewood.

That.Guy.S30
08-27-2009, 10:37 PM
capo is excellant for dinner. its small but i love it there. i was at the river cafe on the weekend. was good. great location tho.

black_2.5RS
08-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Rouge in Inglewood is the place to go.

nonlinear
08-28-2009, 10:35 AM
erm... i refuse to dine at capo any longer, and would never recommend it to anyone. don't forget this thread (look especially at the posts by "finediner," which begin near the end of the first page but get pretty insane throughout the thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/207500/capo-restaurant-calgary-tacky/

clem24
09-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by will_e_chill
I've only been to the Ranche once for a wedding and the food was good but not memorable and the location was out of the way.

I don't know if that's really fair... For a wedding? They probably made everything in advance to get it out at the same time. Also, it's not like the River Cafe is also that accessible either.

ExtraSlow
09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I work near the River Cafe, and if someone wants to buy me lunch, I always suggest there.

sputnik
09-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by clem24
I don't know if that's really fair... For a wedding? They probably made everything in advance to get it out at the same time. Also, it's not like the River Cafe is also that accessible either.

Not to mention that the bride and groom might have selected the meal on the cheap.

Graham_A_M
09-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by black_2.5RS
Rouge in Inglewood is the place to go.
This. Or the Ranche as mentioned. Its a historic site so building modifications such as air conditioning are not allowed. Thats why theres no A/C. :dunno:

I like Quincy's restaurant on 7th ave downtown, but thats another option I guess

Peacrust
09-28-2009, 09:34 AM
I havent been to the ranche but I have been to River cafe and really didnt think it was all that great. The food selection was poor and the meal I had wasnt anything spectacular. Only plus was the location..