PDA

View Full Version : Spotted: Ford Econoline Van

calgarygts
08-28-2009, 02:06 PM
I was walking home from work the other day and ran across a late 50's early 60's ford econoline van in the parking lot west of 4st and north of 6ave SW. I don't have a pic but have attached one that looks basically the same, just wondering if anyone knows the owner of this. I have a 59 ford econoline pickup that I rebuilt with my dad back in high school (many moons ago) and wouldn't mind talking about the van, maybe taking a peek at it if possible.

The one I saw was a light beige color, and looked pretty nice (much better than the one in this pic).

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/calgarygts/1960-1969-ford-trucks-18.jpg

71car2
09-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Well, first of all to clear up and straight out about Econoline vans. The model first come out in 1961 in the USA, not 1959. And their years lasted from 1961 to 1967 before the second generation changed the body style.

Hmm, I'll have to keep an eye on this van you're talking about.

calgarygts
09-08-2009, 03:47 PM
To clear up what you maybe misread, I have a 1959 ford econoline pick up truck - not van. I don't know as much about the vans - we had a 65' parts van we used for a bunch of stuff on the truck but I haven't really seen anything like them around anywhere...until the other day. It's a pretty nice example from what I saw - looked fairly clean.

71car2
09-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by calgarygts
To clear up what you maybe misread, I have a 1959 ford econoline pick up truck - not van.

No, I stand on what I said and that's the problem about your comment. Ford never built a Econoline pick-up or van in 1959! Go do Google, look in Wiki or check all "Econoline" fan groups/clubs ... and you'll find out it begin in 1961 and ends 1967 as the first generation.

I ought knew because I'm a member of an Econoline club and owns a '63 Econoline van. I've spoke with many members about your post and they all agree that can't be and said the same what I said above.

Either your truck have the wrong year (or model??) printed or misinperted somewhere in paperwork?

mac_82
09-09-2009, 08:05 AM
A teacher at ACAD drives one. I believe there are decals for webcore studios, or something similar on it.

calgarygts
09-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 71car2

No, I stand on what I said and that's the problem about your comment. Ford never built a Econoline pick-up or van in 1959! Go do Google, look in Wiki or check all "Econoline" fan groups/clubs ... and you'll find out it begin in 1961 and ends 1967 as the first generation.

I ought knew because I'm a member of an Econoline club and owns a '63 Econoline van. I've spoke with many members about your post and they all agree that can't be and said the same what I said above.

Either your truck have the wrong year (or model??) printed or misinperted somewhere in paperwork?

Wow, well that's news to me! I was always under the impression that it was a 59'. We had a book for some work we were doing to the motor that seemed to think the same but I guess maybe it was a misprint. Either way, it's ugly as all hell but I love it. What's this about an econoline club? Is it in calgary??

71car2
09-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Not exactly a local club... more of a website for all Canada, USA and International. This site is focused on vintage vans but also pickups (of the same body like vans). There is a discussion for Chevrolet, Dodge, or Ford.

Here's the link for you to take a look - have fun reading!

http://www.vintage-vans.com/index.html

Eleanor
09-10-2009, 09:05 AM
71car2, you know far too much about unmarked white vans.....

71car2
09-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
71car2, you know far too much about unmarked white vans.....

:confused: Then - what does it have to do with unmarked white vans? Mind explain why ONLY white vans anyway? :dunno:

As to "far too much" remark ... maybe that's because I used to ride in these early vans as a kid. ;)

misterrick
09-12-2009, 11:00 PM
when i saw this thread, i thought it was about my band's van.....

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p126/ricknotjames/vanboobs.jpg

71car2
09-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Ok... here is one image found on Google like what calgarygts was talking about.

http://www.lloydsautolit.com/products/stdImages/4910.jpeg

I'm only here to help out on the incorrect model year - I wouldn't want to see someone be red-faced when someone at a local truck show tell the owner that he had the wrong year. That had happened with other people with trucks or cars in the past.

So I'll call this thread closed anyway far as I'm concerned. I don't care what other people wanna say some smart remark here.

The only unanswered question is the unknown model year - calgarygts's Econoline pick-up.

There are 3 clues to help you out:

**The front turn signals - only 1961-62 models have clear lenes, while 1963-67 have amber lenses.

**Only 1967 models have the dual-master brake assemby, 1961-66 models just have the single-master type.

**The 1964-67 models have the padded dashboard top and padded glove box lid.

There, I'm done here. Thread closed (for me). Cheers!

calgarygts
09-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by 71car2
Ok... here is one image found on Google like what calgarygts was talking about.

http://www.lloydsautolit.com/products/stdImages/4910.jpeg

I'm only here to help out on the incorrect model year - I wouldn't want to see someone be red-faced when someone at a local truck show tell the owner that he had the wrong year. That had happened with other people with trucks or cars in the past.

So I'll call this thread closed anyway far as I'm concerned. I don't care what other people wanna say some smart remark here.

The only unanswered question is the unknown model year - calgarygts's Econoline pick-up.

There are 3 clues to help you out:

**The front turn signals - only 1961-62 models have clear lenes, while 1963-67 have amber lenses.

**Only 1967 models have the dual-master brake assemby, 1961-66 models just have the single-master type.

**The 1964-67 models have the padded dashboard top and padded glove box lid.

There, I'm done here. Thread closed (for me). Cheers!

Thanks for the info, I'm guessing then that the model year would be a 63 as it has amber turn lenses but non padded dashboard. It is however (through internet pics) one of the only examples I've seen with only three windows, not five. Not sure if that's a rare thing or not but I like the way it looks better without the extra windows, although the blind spots aren't so hot!
Thanks again, will definitely be joining that site.