PDA

View Full Version : So I just got a Palm Pre...

Little Dragon
08-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Bought it off a guy from kijiji for CHEAP! ($120) :thumbsup:

I've activated it to my account, and everything seems to work fine.
But my only concern is the data usage.

My phone plan is NOT a data plan, I have access to wi-fi all day long so don't need data. But I'm worried that the Palm will access the internet/updates/etc. which will in turn charge me for data usage.

Any way to turn this (data usage of the phone), off?
I can just use wi-fi instead to access the internet/emails/etc.

Let me know!
Thanks.

GQBalla
08-28-2009, 04:38 PM
call your provider i assume rogers or fido

and say to block all data because you don't want to be charged for it

Little Dragon
08-28-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm with Bell actually, been trying to get to them for about half an hour now...

So I thought I'd try on here, as I've tried searching the interwebs to no avail.

tha_bandit
08-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Little Dragon
Bought it off a guy from kijiji for CHEAP! ($120) :thumbsup:

With prices like that the pre is gonna be nice competition for the iPhone, but too bad its on Bell :nut:

btw, sorry I couldnt help with your original question but best to call bell to get some kind of data block.

gqmw
08-28-2009, 05:04 PM
How are you liking it so far? Seems like it'd be a pretty cool phone if it weren't with bell.

Little Dragon
08-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Just went to the Bell store and got them to block data instead.

It is a pretty sick phone, I'm still testing it out so we'll see how it goes.
My only complaint is that its battery life is awful and the screen heats up quite a bit.

I'm just wondering, am I still eligible for warranty if I bought this phone second hand?

samo147
08-29-2009, 12:28 AM
120?

man thats cheap...

why would someone sell it for that low? especially since u have to sign a 3 year contract to get it for 199

i only see a few for $250 and $260

crazy deal

Jlude
08-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by samo147
120?

man thats cheap...

why would someone sell it for that low? especially since u have to sign a 3 year contract to get it for 199

i only see a few for $250 and $260

crazy deal

It's probably hot.

GoChris
08-29-2009, 10:59 AM
damn, good deal. didn't even think to look for "used" new phones. I want one of these, gonna see if I can find one for cheaper (than from bell)

dino_martini
08-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Just oicked up.my pre. Loving it so far. Phone gets a little warm while charging and the demo phpne I played with at the bell store had the oreo effect. Otherwise I have no concerns.

GoChris
08-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I think I'll have to head to a store. cant find one online and I want to get my $30 unlimited data plan before they discontinue it tomorrow. Dont want to sign a 3 year contract again, ugh, but I'll probably be sticking with bell so not like it matters right.

dino_martini
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Little Dragon, does your Pre have the oreo effect? Mine had a slight oreo effect from the beginning, and now its gotten worse. But I've been told Bell has a no return policy. And I've already had 30 minutes on my phone so I can't return it that way. Shitty deal.

GoChris
09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I'm waiting till stores get the "new" ones in that have fixes for these minor problems.

reno97637
09-01-2009, 11:50 PM
To remedy battery life, try turning down the brightness and turning bluetooth off.

I might get a Pre when my 755p breaks. All my phones have been Treos so far.

scat19
09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Pre is such a copy of the iPhone. With a keyboard

Enhance
09-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Little Dragon, does your Pre have the oreo effect? Mine had a slight oreo effect from the beginning, and now its gotten worse. But I've been told Bell has a no return policy. And I've already had 30 minutes on my phone so I can't return it that way. Shitty deal.

I'm in the same boat, I was so blinded by sprints awesome return policy that i went out and got a pre on launch day instead of waiting to see if bell had the more reliable units or the same shitty batch sprint started out with. And now bell has a no return policy, 4-6 weeks to ship it out for repair... The sad part is that even if you convince them to do an exchange, you'll just get another shitty first-gen pre that will oreo after being used for half a day.

ZorroAMG
09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Let's not even START with their commercial....

snoop101
09-02-2009, 04:41 PM

And Apple copied the HTC with there phones. Apple just made it more user friendly and dumbed things down.

Im not a Palm fan, but they been making pocket pc's for ages now.

dino_martini
09-02-2009, 05:41 PM

So are you an Apple fan boy or something?

Essentially Palm got a bunch of Apple workers to come work for them. Jon Rubinstein (CEO of Palm) worked at Apple. He was one of THE guys working on the iPod/iPhone programs and apparently he and Steve Jobs had quite the argument over an iPhone w/ Keyboard vs iPhone without keyboard.

In hindsight I would wait to see what the next device Palm will put WebOS on. The Pre is a nice device, but build quality leaves something to be desired. There is supposed to be a thin full qwerty (BlackBerry-ish) device coming to AT&T/Rogers at some point. Though it could be Bell if their HSPA network is up by then.

ZorroAMG
09-02-2009, 09:31 PM

You don't need to be a fanboy to LOL at their blatant rip off tactics...

What is this the Lexus vs Mercedes of the phone world? Hahaha!

Little Dragon
09-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Nope never had the oreo effect, just to clarify the oreo effect is when theres that space in between the sliding components of the phone right?

If so, never had that. Mine was quite alright. There was a tiny bit of wiggle room but nothing as noticeable as some Pre's I've seen.

When is Bell suppose to switch over to that new network anyways? I heard they'll be getting a ton of new phones.

Little Dragon
09-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by reno97637
To remedy battery life, try turning down the brightness and turning bluetooth off.

I might get a Pre when my 755p breaks. All my phones have been Treos so far.

Tried that.
I turned off everything, closed all applications.

Phone still lost about 5%-10% every hour or two, even when not in use. I'd have it at 100% in the morning, and by 7:00pm it'd be at 15%.

I guess I'm just too used to my blackberry pearl that would last for 5 days without charging. Darn touch screen phones and their crap batteries.

ZEDGE
09-02-2009, 11:25 PM

Kinda like the iPhone was a copy of the HTC touch.. :dunno:

iPhone was not the first touch screen phone. Many people seem to think this though..

Played around with a Pre at the Bell store, its not bad. I hate the keypad though.. jesus, its nearly impossible to use your thumbs, the keys are waay to small. Used to the iPhone now and actually prefer the on screen keypads. Touch screen is nice though, and web OS runs well. iPhone is lagging behind now with thier OS I think. Not being able to have more than one app open blows. Having tried the Pre and a couple of Android phones I really hate the iPhone OS now. Waiting on the next batch of Android phones, maybe a HTC Hero or Samsung Galaxy.

Oh and check out Word Ace on what ever the Palm app store is. Its a free game, like texas holdem crossed with scrabble. (On Iphone too now). Has cross platform play between them also. Online, friends lists, the whole shebang. :thumbsup:

dino_martini
09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Nope never had the oreo effect, just to clarify the oreo effect is when theres that space in between the sliding components of the phone right?

If so, never had that. Mine was quite alright. There was a tiny bit of wiggle room but nothing as noticeable as some Pre's I've seen.

When is Bell suppose to switch over to that new network anyways? I heard they'll be getting a ton of new phones.

Oreo effect is where the top and bottom halves of the Pre twist like when you are twisting the two cookie pieces of oreo.

The HSPA network is supposed to be up either late 2009 - early 2010. Though from what I have read only Telus will be launching in time for the olympics. But the network will be up by Q2 2010.

scat19
09-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

Kinda like the iPhone was a copy of the HTC touch.. :dunno:

iPhone was not the first touch screen phone. Many people seem to think this though..

Didn't say it was the first touch screen phone, did I? Touchscreens have been around for ages.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Let's not even START with their commercial....

:werd:

Originally posted by snoop101

And Apple copied the HTC with there phones. Apple just made it more user friendly and dumbed things down.

Im not a Palm fan, but they been making pocket pc's for ages now.

Pocket pc's had tones of buttons. It was with a pen.

Apple took it to the next level - swiping, multi-touch screens (did your pocket pc have that?), the icons (not menus), on screen keyboard.

The pre has the exact same stuff - pinching, swiping, iconds. It's just too funny, not to mention, 3 years too late.

:facepalm:

You don't need to be a fanboy to LOL at their blatant rip off tactics...

What is this the Lexus vs Mercedes of the phone world? Hahaha!

It's like kia's new car. Looks identical to the honda civic. :bullshit:

Little Dragon
09-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Oreo effect is where the top and bottom halves of the Pre twist like when you are twisting the two cookie pieces of oreo.

The HSPA network is supposed to be up either late 2009 - early 2010. Though from what I have read only Telus will be launching in time for the olympics. But the network will be up by Q2 2010.

Ah, nope never had the top and bottom twist...thats really messed up. Shouldn't that be covered under the manufacturer's warranty though?

I hope the network launches soon, anybody know if they'll be getting new phones?

GoChris
09-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Ah, nope never had the top and bottom twist...thats really messed up. Shouldn't that be covered under the manufacturer's warranty though?

I hope the network launches soon, anybody know if they'll be getting new phones?

its a new network. none of their current phones are compatible.

so ya, I'd say they will get new phones.

dino_martini
09-03-2009, 09:36 PM

Its covered but only if Bell deems it a problem and so far the guys from Bell that looked at my Pre have all said I don't have enough of a twist to swap. So for now I'm sol, but I have the warantee and the guy told me to keep an eye on it if it gets any worse.

They will be getting phones like what Rogers has now for 3G phones:

iPhone (Not the 3GS but the new one when it is launched next June)
BlackBerry 9700/9000 Bold
LG BL40 (new Chocolate)
numerous Android handsets
numerous HTC/Sony Ericcson Windows Mobile handsets
Nokia will return

keep in mind these will be on Telus and Bell for the most part. Its going to be good.

ZorroAMG
09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Dino, I just bro-fisted you. Didja get it??

dino_martini
09-04-2009, 07:02 PM
My battery life has improved dramatically. I can actually get through and entire days use with my Pre. Amazing.

Dino, I just bro-fisted you. Didja get it??

Yes I did, a very strong well placed bro fist.

ZorroAMG
09-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Thank you. I've been practicing.

GoChris
09-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, I broke down and bought one. I wanted a physical keyboard, I grew tires of the keyboard on the htc touch, spent too much time correcting.

Stupid thing wasn't charged much out of the box, so haven't used it yet, but the screen is very nice and they keyboard, while the keys are small, is great.

clockworkboy3
09-06-2009, 09:54 AM
bell is the major olympics sponsor so the new network will go into effect by january before they start. It is a hybrid gsm network...don't get phones with them now until it launches. We'll finally be able to use unlocked GOOD phones!!!

snoop101
09-09-2009, 03:51 PM

Apple took it to the next level - swiping, multi-touch screens (did your pocket pc have that?), the icons (not menus), on screen keyboard.

Actually they had everything except the swiping and multi touch screens, but atleast you were able to have more then one app going at a time, much like the pre.

Dont get me wrong i love the screen on the Iphones, but I wouldent go to the extent and say that Apple was this huge inventor and they created this whole thing. They took ideas from other companies, made it into one and then made it simple so the everyday person can use it.

I think of the Iphone OS like the Mac OS. They went with the KISS theory. Keep it simple stupid.

GoChris
09-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I took my Pre back. I don't think I'll get another. Too bad the build quality sucks.

dino_martini
09-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
I took my Pre back. I don't think I'll get another. Too bad the build quality sucks.

Yeah, the Pre build quality definitly leaves a lot to be desired. If the new Palm device that will replace the Treo Pro is good, I will go for that. Otherwise I'm probably going to buy a BlackBerry as my next device.

I love WebOS, hate the build quality on the Pre.

GoChris
09-10-2009, 01:12 PM

Yeah, the Pre build quality definitly leaves a lot to be desired. If the new Palm device that will replace the Treo Pro is good, I will go for that. Otherwise I'm probably going to buy a BlackBerry as my next device.

I love WebOS, hate the build quality on the Pre.

Ya, same thoughts. The webOS was awesome. To be fair, part of the reason I'm not going to get another one is that I need to save some money, but a big factor is the fact that I'm not confident the next one won't have a build quality issue. The pixie looks nice, bit small of a screen, but it looks decent.

Hopefully in a few months when the bellus HSPA network is live here, and there exists an HSPA webOS phone, that is what I'll get.

Sugarphreak
09-10-2009, 02:52 PM

rawsensation
09-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Rumored Bell's new line up of phones, BlackBerry Bold
9700, Blackberry Bold 9000, Apple iPhone, Nokia N97, Nokia 2730, Nokia 6350, LG Xenon, Samsung T746, Novatel HSPA Turbo Stick.

dino_martini
09-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I don't blame you; eventually once the novelty wears all the gimmicky stuff gets annoying you realize that a simple functional smart phone is always a better choice. Touchscreens are way overrated IMO.

I have a blackberry now, love it to death.

Yeah its been about 10 days now and the touch screen novelty has worn off. I partially...partially...partially envy my friends with a BlackBerry. Whatever, I will buy a new phone probably in 6 months, and maybe it will be the Bold 9700.