PDA

View Full Version : Binned it

Vagabond142
08-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Had my first real crash of the season today :clap: Now it's official summer biking season XD

Was coming down 19th street heading for downtown, front wheel caught a hidden crack by a sewer drain, yanked the bike right and stopped the front wheel dead, making me endo. I went sailing off and did a lovely rolling skid across the sidewalk into a hedge :thumbsup: Also, Moutain Equipment Coop has my confidence now because I rolled over my water pack at about 20 kph, and it doesn't even have a scratch, tear, or even any signs its been in a crash, and it was full of water at the time.

Left kneecap is pretty scraped up, right calf is road rashed, left ribs on my back are pretty scraped too. All in all, lucky I went backfirst into the hedge vs facefirst. I was wearing my tight-to-face sunglasses at the time too, so nothing got poked in there. Also have to credit martial arts for taking the impact in a tucked roll vs a sprawling "ohfuckohfuckohfuck."

On the crash scale, dramatic departure from the bike probably 8/10, damage to bike = none, injuries sustained = scrapes and bruises.

Soooooo, share with me your crash stories so I don't feel so stupid for binning it :nut:

Vagabond142
08-28-2009, 06:18 PM
The required scars pictures. For some reason, my camera is making the colors go really light. Must be my whiteboy skin XD

And yes, I am wearing shorts, I just hiked em up outta shot to show the scrape on the inner right thigh.

And yes, I know... I'm hairy ._.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0552.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0555.jpg

Pollywog
08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Glad you are alright! At least you took the spill without too much speed, could've been worse.

Not from biking, but I should've been wearing my leathers.

A nice speedboarding accident on highway 1A at over 80km/h left me with second degree burns/road-rash on my shoulder, elbows, forearms, hips, legs and ankle. This is day III mid-gauzing.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs085.snc1/4586_220890895384_576620384_7091830_2013954_n.jpg

Edit: This is my shoulder after 5 days of using flamazine.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/handsomebassman/P6020279.jpg

Vagabond142
08-28-2009, 06:27 PM
O_O holy goddamned jeebus motherfuck! That'll learn ya to wear leathers o_O

GodDAMN that looks like it hurt :eek: :eek: :cry:

yeah, my scrapes are, at most, maybe 4-6 layers of skin down. The ribs and my left knee took the worst time on the pavement. In reality, my left knee is a nice deep red with a very nice bevel down to it, and my ribs, as you can see, have the gouge lines, but that's maybe 4 layers in, and not as deep red as the knee.

Still, stupid mistake on my part, will learn me to ride that close to sewer grates XD I was just trying to stay as far right as possible so traffic wouldn't be too pissed of with me :goflames:

Pollywog
08-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
GodDAMN that looks like it hurt :eek: :eek: :cry:

The shower became a torture chamber.

Edit: By the way, I thought this was from a motorcycle accident. Upon further re-reading and a topic check I now know its from cycling. Sorry for posting somewhat irrelevant photos.

Vagabond142
08-28-2009, 06:57 PM
hey, no worries dude :) This is a thread for any and all crashes. And I crashed at scooter/motorbike speeds (in a playground zone), so I guess that counts too :D

Kritafo
08-28-2009, 11:02 PM
ouchy.. Triple antibiotic cream and peroxide wash.

hopefully you didn't rip too much body hair off!

martial arts saved my son earlier this week from what would have been a wicked crash I am sure.

homelessman
08-28-2009, 11:06 PM
@OP you call that a wipeout???? :rofl:

scary_perry
08-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Haha - I had one last year that makes those pix look like a scrape.

Permanent tattoo.

60 kph crash on the Little Elbow loop onto a bed of shale after my front wheel washed out. When my buddy saw me go down he thought I was going to need a chopper ride out.

The best part was the long ride back to the car. I ripped those km. Washed the wound in the creeks each chance I got.

My ankle went black from internal bleeding. Nerves exposed on the outisde.

LOL good times!

Vagabond142
08-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by homelessman
@OP you call that a wipeout???? :rofl:

Well, it certainly hurt like one and I was tossed a good 5-10 feet horizontal distance over my handlebars, so I think it might count as a wipeout :D

I honestly think that the ribs one is a burn as well :| The knee, despite the pictures making it look pink, is a very deep red and is already scabbing like a mofo :\

but, it coulda been much, MUCH worse. I didn't even think about it, I just tucked into a roll as soon as my body hit the ground, rolled while skidding across the sidewalk (hence the ribs and knees burn) and then WHAM into the hedge, which took the impact pretty well and felt almost like falling into a pointy safety mat. If I hadn't rolled, I would probably be scraped to the bone on the knee and would have gone facefirst into the hedge, which would NOT have ended well.

Kennyredline
08-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Dude, maybe you have a future as a crash-test-product demonstrator for bike equipment. That is, when your puss-ridden road rash heals up!:thumbsup:

My story goes back to the winter; riding across a street downtown with a really heavy backpack on, riding my GT Avalanche with my Bombers softened right up. I lifted the front wheel to get up onto the sidewalk, landed IN FRONT OF the sidewalk, suspension plushed right down, I went head-over, and my backpack fell over the back of my head, pinning me on the ground, with my bike ass-up in the air.
I eventually fell over to the right, picked up my bike, and found my pride later that day.

stellerGT
08-30-2009, 11:31 PM
I just got clipless pedals, and I forgot to swing my heels out to disengage. I fell over when I stopped. :rofl:

Jlude
08-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by stellerGT
I just got clipless pedals, and I forgot to swing my heels out to disengage. I fell over when I stopped. :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

JfuckinC
08-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Took a large chunk out of my right calf sat with the foot peg on my dirtbike, 10 internal stitches 8 external, lost a fair amount of blood, and now have a dent on my leg where fat/muscle should be.. wound is only 36ish hours old and man does it fuckin hurt. i can barely walkk lol. Nerve damage left me with no feeling in my lower shin/ankle for now..

I really didnt think it would be stitchable, it was about 2 inches long 1 inch wide and you could see the side of my shin bone or whatever... there was fat/muscle tissue on the peg, on the t-shirt we used to wrap it, and on the guys quad who took me back to camp.

Mad ups to off duty CFD, in a strange stroke of luck a man and his wife, both fire department were right behind me on the trail i was on, thank fucking god, they kept there cool about it which kept me calm. He wrapped his shirt on it and got his wife to hold it while they sinched it with a tow strap..

had a hot ass doctor at the sundre hospital though :D

Vagabond142
08-31-2009, 07:40 AM
^^^ okay, THAT sounds like it fucking hurt o_O Ye gods, I'm happy now to have a solidly scabby right knee and very sore ribs.

Kennyredline
08-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by stellerGT
Ya, that's a quick learning curve, due to the damage to one's dignity that occurs when you're on the ground, and you can't get your foot out!:nut:

JfuckinC
08-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
^^^ okay, THAT sounds like it fucking hurt o_O Ye gods, I'm happy now to have a solidly scabby right knee and very sore ribs.

Haha it really didnt hurt that bad.. Like the initial hit felt like it just scraped the skin, the only thing that hurt is when they were cutting away tissue and cut something that had missed the freezing needle.. thatttt hurt. I had to act like it wasnt that bad, didnt want to seem like a pussy infront of the cute doc :angel:

stellerGT
10-18-2009, 01:31 PM
What a shitty riding day! yesterday, I was cycling from vista heights, riding the bike path down to the deer foot pedestrian bridge. There is an awesome downhill section right after that bridge, i was going 65km/h untill there was a relatively gentle s turn coming up, I lost control and wiped out into as patch of prickly weeds.
I got up and my head was spinnig, everything was white and red, and I was seeing double. I took my shirt off as there was prickly torns all over it and sat at the side of the pathway untill I could see and think straight.
My helmet was cracked, my shades were broken, and worst of all, my shoulder was killing me, i thought i dislocated it, but nothing felt out of place.
Three riders passed by without even offering to help. Finally, i lucked out. A lady that was riding home from some sort of medical training course stopped and asked if i was okay, she helped me collect my gear and rolled my bike back up to my van (about 2kms away). She did a few tests on me, making sure my arm was still circulating blood, seeing if I still had a good grip in my hand and checking if my skull is cracked or anything. By this time, my head was feeling a lot better, but my shoulder was killing me, it was hurting more cause my adrenalin was wearing off.
I drove to the hospital (peter lougheed) and i was admitted pretty quickly, the doctors came and i got an x ray done. It turns out i had a mild concussion, and i fractured my collar bone. I was given some pain killers, and my arm is now in a sling. the doctor said my collar bone should heal in 6-8 weeks.
All in all, im grateful things were not worse, im so thankfull that i wore a helmet, and so thankful that the lady stopped to help, i wish i caught her name. From now on, If i ever see a fellow rider in need i would not hesitate to stop and help. As i'm typing this, im drowsy on pain killers, and i'm only able to type with one hand, sorry for any spelling/gramatical errors, just wanted to share my story.

scary_perry
10-18-2009, 01:43 PM
My first big crash was the same: concussion and collar bone.

Glad you are OK. You will heal up stronger. I've stacked countless times since my first collar bone fracture and have never broken it again.

Only other people who have binned can share the pain/thrill of a good crash. As much as it hurts, you have a great story to tell in the future. It proves how hard core you are.

Those other riders are shit heads.

Vagabond142
10-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I lucked out an only had my one major crash, and all I got from it was some road rash. A few years back, though, I had a wicked header right over the handlebars and went headfirst into a tree, literally. Helmet cracked like an egg, and I tweaked a muscle in my neck, but no neck compression, no spine damage, not even a headache. The helmet took 230 lbs of flying human and absorbed the impact.

The point? Always wear a helmet, and never cheap out on a helmet. A helmet can be replaced. Your head can't.

Oh, also, all the scars fully healed. I am a bit hairless on the kneecap, and bald as a baby on my back where the hair and such there was ripped out by the crash. Otherwise, right as rain :)

J NRG
10-19-2009, 12:32 PM

JfuckinC
12-09-2009, 11:45 AM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs116.snc3/16362_325378530360_591785360_9532341_1650148_n.jpg

haha just remember this thread when i was looking at pics, check'r out!

Vagabond142
12-17-2009, 07:19 AM
^^^^^^^ :eek: :eek: