PDA

View Full Version : Constant emails from Hotmail?

funkedelic2
08-29-2009, 12:25 AM
I keep getting emails from "Microsoft Customer Support" lately. The subject on all of them reads "Reset your Windows Live password" They always end up in my Inbox and at first i figured it might be fake since i haven't ever tried to reset my password and my junk filter is set to high but they always get through.

This is what the email says

Hello, ****: We received your request to reset your Windows Live password. To confirm your request and reset your password, follow the instructions below. Confirming your request helps prevent unauthorized access to your account. If you didn't request that your password be reset, please follow the instructions below to cancel your request. CONFIRM REQUEST AND RESET PASSWORD

Then it asks to follow the link and instructions. At first i shruged it off not thinking much of it but lately i have been getting a few everyday. I have heard that there are a lot of scams out there to try to get your email, im not sure if this is what this is or if somebody keeps trying to hack into my email account.

The email is from [email protected], im not sure if these are valid emails from hotmail or not. Does anybody else get these often?

Since i have been getting them i changed my password to something considered to be a strong password. What should i do? Just ignore them?

Sorry if this is the wrong section, didn't seem to fit anywhere else..

soobad
08-29-2009, 12:36 AM
It's a scam -- I get tons of them to different accounts trying to rip off my ebay password, steam account, and lots of other stuff. It's just another phishing email trying to steal your password or at least confirm that receipt of the email in the first place by recording your click on the link -- thereby marking your email in their database as an "active" fish...

Edit: don't be fooled by emails coming to you from any particular "address"... I could send you 1000 emails in the next 30 seconds from "[email protected]"... what you need to pay attention to is most of the stuff in the email header the hotmail tends to hide -- like the SMTP server and IP the email is coming from.

Edit 2: also, hotmail / gmail and other service providers do a surprisingly good job *usually* of classifying these emails. If you're viewing it in the junk box, or the spam box... it probably IS.

van
08-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
I keep getting emails from "Microsoft Customer Support" lately. The subject on all of them reads "Reset your Windows Live password" They always end up in my Inbox and at first i figured it might be fake since i haven't ever tried to reset my password and my junk filter is set to high but they always get through.

This is what the email says

Then it asks to follow the link and instructions. At first i shruged it off not thinking much of it but lately i have been getting a few everyday. I have heard that there are a lot of scams out there to try to get your email, im not sure if this is what this is or if somebody keeps trying to hack into my email account.

The email is from [email protected], im not sure if these are valid emails from hotmail or not. Does anybody else get these often?

Since i have been getting them i changed my password to something considered to be a strong password. What should i do? Just ignore them?

Sorry if this is the wrong section, didn't seem to fit anywhere else..

Had this happen to me too but somebody was trying to figure out my hotmail password haha.

funkedelic2
08-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by van

Had this happen to me too but somebody was trying to figure out my hotmail password haha.

How did you find out? It wouldn't really make sense for somebody to keep trying to "reset" your password since you have to log into your email to do that. I would imagine if somebody kept trying to guess the secret answer to your email account, that you would get some notice for Hotmail.

I can't think of anybody that would even want to get my email. Nothing incriminating in there or anything somebody would want to view.

I just want to know if the email i keep getting them sent from is legit or not. The paypal/ebay ones are easy to spot that they are bullshit. These ones, i don't know but its getting annoying.