PDA

View Full Version : Please finish reading-brand new car issues

harari
08-29-2009, 02:54 PM
I bought a brand new Toyota Yaris 2009 edition car 3 months ago. But I had a bad car accident. I was hit by an incoming van at intersection and there was a big damage in the middle of the car on driver side making the front and the back door of driver side unusable. Costed insurance company to fix it almost 11000 dollars, and after more than 3 weeks in the Toyota dealer auto body repair shop, I got the car back about a week ago now.
Since I got my car back I have notice so many problems already.

1. There was scrape or chipping (about 4 x 4 inch in size) that I have noticed at the back of my rear bumper when I took my car back the first time, and I was surprised that no body came out with me to check the car when I picked up my car after initial body repair. The guy at body shop was just told me to pick the car up outside the office where it was parked and he did not bother to come out office and look around the car. By the way when I let them know my finding 30 minutes after I found out the problem at a gas station, they admitted that the chipping or scrape was not there before when the car was delivered for repair the first time and they agreed to repair it right away and did repair the damage the next day and I picked up the car the next day.

2. Now I noticed something is wrong with gas tank or gas gauge. Because usually, when I put 20 dollar value gas, it would last me 10 days to 2 weeks since I don't drive much and the gas tank fills up with about 30 to 35 dollars value of gas. but recently in the last few days since I got the car back from the Toyota auto body repair shop, the gas tank fills up with less than 30 dollars value and the gas gauge does not show full sign rather it was a bit lower, even thought I could not fill up the tank any more since I get the clicking sound while filling the gas tank which usually is the signal noise for full gas tank. So I am a bit puzzled and confused.

3. I also noticed that after some driving and when I park my car, I see water is dripping beneath, right about under front driver side seat, whether the weather is hot or not. Is it normal?

4. Then after almost a week since I got my car back from Toyota body shop, I just noticed that last night the lights for buttons, display or instrumental panels/dashboard for sound system, gauges and shift lever/gear are not working, don’t light up when it is turned on. when I turn the lightings/displays stick/lever by left side of wheel on, the display lightings for display panel for the stereo system, gear, and gauges (Tachometer, Speedometer) do not light up at all so it is impossible to see at dark changing gear, or operating the sound system and or able to see any buttons inside the car. The thing that puzzled me most is, during the accident the impact was well behind all these buttons and panels and trunk, where all the engine and mechanical equipments are located (which is front) and I can not see how the impact affect the lighting system inside the car. Because it is obvious the front or side of trunk is not affected or does not sustain any dents or break during the impact at time of the accident. The damage was halfway back between front driver side doors and halfway from the back door on driver side toward front door of driver seat. I have not driven the car at night until I tried last night.

5. My other question is when they did the repair work on the body, are they (the Toyota dealer that did the repair work) obliged to check for other mechanical problems that may have caused by the impact during the collusion?

Would Toyota dealers would do such things and tamper with the car deliberately so I can go back for repair thus making more money out of me? Personally I really doubt they do such things but it just made me wonder and ponder, how come one problem after another takes place? with the obvious one being that made me wonder and ponder is that the fact that there was scrape or chipping (about 4 x 4 inch in size) that I have noticed at the back of my rear bumper when I took my car back the first time, and the fact that no body came out with me to check the car when I picked up my car after initial body repair and the fact that the guy at body shop was just telling me to pick the car up outside the office where it was parked. By the way when I let them know my findings 30 minutes after I found out the problem, they admitted that the chipping or scrape was not before when the car was delivered for repair the first time. Or it just that I am unlucky person?

So now the question is who will be responsible for cost of the above problems? I am still under brand new Toyota warranty since I bought the car as brand new and it is less than 3 months since I bought it?

Now I am worried even if I take it back to the same Toyota dealer, I am afraid they would get angry and cause more problems to my car since I am complaining about my car frequently already. I don’t know much about cars and car parts and how the car runs. What should I do?

Do you know what causes these problems aside the chipping/scrapping that I have noticed? With regards to abnormal gas consumption someone commented that may be there is a problem with gasket that may be caused by the impact during the car accident. What do you think? What should I do? By the way what is gasket and is there any connection with gas tank. Sorry for my ignorance when it comes to car parts and about car in general.

I hear a horror story that the mechanics play around the motor/car when customers take their car to any garage, so the customer would go back to them so they would make more money fixing the problem they created and is that true of in my case or maybe it just caused by the accident? Please help me and guide me what to do.

If I want to sell or trade my car now would I get a good deal? When I bought it, I paid 21000 Canadian dollars.

Please I need your advice, feedback and thank you for your time for reading this lengthy problem filled story.

mobius
08-29-2009, 03:18 PM
@2: I don't know where the fuel tank is in a Yaris, but it's possible the the tank or the fuel pump mount became bent or damaged, and thus the fuel tank float/resistor is not able to actuate to the full mark? Just a guess.

@3: Is/was your AC on during these times? Are you sure it's water?

@4: The collision probably caused a short in a wiring harness, and blew a fuse (which happens to have your cluster lights on that circuit). You could look at the fuse block for a burnt out fuse and replace it. If it does not help, the short is probably still in the system and will need to be repaired.

@5: Yes, any mechanical problems caused directly or indirectly by the collision should have been repaired.

Do not be afraid to hassle the dealership about this. Your car should have been returned to you in nearly exactly the same condition it was before the collision, or better. If they missed something, they missed something, and they should fix it. However, they may hassle you now saying that the problems were caused after you took the car back. This is why it is very important to go over the car and document everything.

As for the trade in, as soon as you drove the car off the lot, it lost a significant value. Now that it has a record of being in a collision, the value has significantly reduced again. Trading it in or selling it privately will probably result in a significant loss for you, I'm sorry to say.

canuckcarguy
08-29-2009, 09:59 PM
There's a dimmer for your lights. Check your manual. I bet that's your problem.