PDA

View Full Version : Gold's Gym

BigShow
08-29-2009, 05:31 PM
I am interested in switching gyms and considering making the move to Gold's.

I've heard previously of contract issues, but was blown away to see 18 pages of complaints on consumeraffairs.com.

The equipment and facility is appealing but I'm skeptical on commiting to a company that may be as unethical as people are claiming it to be.

Can any Calgary members comment to membership there?

Majestic12
08-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Puke... never never nEVER..
Was joined up to the Eau Claire facility before they opened, and was told I could cancel anytime up to 1-month after opening with no penalty, no questions asked, no hassle.

It has been 6 months and they still haven't given me my deposit back, and they still say I owe THEM... Fuckers.

GQBalla
08-29-2009, 07:05 PM
i don't mind Golds,

ive been with them for a while.

the equipment is great

never had any contract issues

turbotrip
08-29-2009, 07:12 PM
the northland golds is pretty good; but what i would suggest is find someone on kijiji or here that is transferring their membership and only has a few months remaining so you are not on a contract for too long. getting out of their contract is a bitch

Travel_Dude
08-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Horrible. Stay away. (Northland)

Scams abound.

BigShow
08-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
the northland golds is pretty good; but what i would suggest is find someone on kijiji or here that is transferring their membership and only has a few months remaining so you are not on a contract for too long. getting out of their contract is a bitch

Hey, I just took a look on kijiji and couldn't believe how many ads there are. Everybody on there has a different rate...are rates negotiable?

thanks for the comments, keep them coming!

TurboD
08-29-2009, 10:41 PM
most of the opinion you will get will be bias

obviously if you are paying your gym dues each month and are using the gym you will not have an issue.

if you join a gym and don't read the fine print you will be in big trouble no matter what gym you sign up to.

if you follow the termination steps you should have no problems stopping the gym dues.
and if you sign up for a contract and cannot hold up the contract you cannot blame the gym, you are the one that signed the contract.

if you sign a contract and agree to pay the dues, this action speaks for itself.

you get both the benifits of a big company and the problems as well.

i worked out at the meca, golds gym venice beach last year.
that would fall under the benifits category.

to each their own, if you really wanna know about the gym get off the computer and go down and take a tour, tour several different gyms and check out all the different atmospheres.

dont sign and contracts, dont submit to any sales pressure, just take your time, insist on a no contract free trial, and if denied take your ass onto the next gym.

ronaldo
08-29-2009, 11:46 PM
I go to the northlands location and I love it, no complaints

muse017
08-30-2009, 01:43 AM
had one-year contract while back with the Northland Location and had a horrible experience with them. A month before contract was over, I had given them a written notice to make sure my contract is over however they kept sending me a bill that I ignore to pay for. I took me a while to sort it out the problem and actually they had a collecting agency to call my cell everyday. I never had to pay anything however it was a freaking long process to deal with them.

turbotrip
08-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

Hey, I just took a look on kijiji and couldn't believe how many ads there are. Everybody on there has a different rate...are rates negotiable?

thanks for the comments, keep them coming!

if you are transferring someone else's membership then no i dont think the rate is negotiable. they should mostly be around $5X/ month though. and there shouldnt be any fee to transfer the membership; but you should confirm that

trieuth
09-01-2009, 11:56 AM
i work out at golds in northland. It's a great gym.

sk8r3124
09-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Im looking to unload my golds membership as I don't need it anymore. PM for details.

.civictyper.
09-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Biggest pain in the a$$ for billing.
Good luck trying to cancel your contract too.
Ugh,
Nice gym, poor management

JAYMEZ
09-04-2009, 03:26 PM
I was thinking about Joining golds , one close to my work. I hear a shit load of complaints about memberships , but I go to the gym all the time and would use it , so I dont really think i would have any issues.

Whats the average monthly costs?

NoMoreG35
09-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by .civictyper.
Biggest pain in the a$$ for billing.
Good luck trying to cancel your contract too.
Ugh,
Nice gym, poor management

It's not even cancelling contracts that's a pain in the ass. I cancelled my membership after my contract expired, and they made me mail them a written notice via registered mail. In addition, they would not stop charging on my credit card until 30 days after the mail was received. Totally scam.

stevieo
09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
I was thinking about Joining golds , one close to my work. I hear a shit load of complaints about memberships , but I go to the gym all the time and would use it , so I dont really think i would have any issues.

Whats the average monthly costs?

james, you are probably looking around 50-60 a month... unless they are having like 'grand opening' promotions or whatever.

i remember when golds first opened in northgate, you signed up for about 15 bucks bi-weekly, then it went up to 20.. when i left the gym it was at around 25 bucks bi-weekly (plus tax)

TurboD
09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
im going through the cancel phase right now so ill let yall know how it works out, so far so good tho.

sent in my letter registered mail (9$)

i was told to call after 10 days and their computer will tell me that the status shows me as pending cancel.

when i went to golds to find out info about canceling my account, they didn't try one bit to keep me, there was no offer to reduce my monthly payments at all.

just a "later, and don't let the door hit ya"

sk8r3124
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Im probably going to cancel mine pretty soon here.
Registered mail = $9???
what constitutes registered mail?

Majestic12
09-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Basically mail with confirmed delivery. Any mail that offers concrete confirmation that it was received.

So I guess the consensus is.... Gold's is GREAT if you're still there, but good luck if you try to cancel cuz they'll be all over your ass till the day you die...?

Jynx
09-09-2009, 12:51 AM
Can't you just pay with cash up front for the year? Fuck the credit card and written cancellation shit

BigShow
09-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Jynx
Can't you just pay with cash up front for the year? Fuck the credit card and written cancellation shit

Yes you can. It's a ripoff this way as it works out to about $500/yr difference.

imjimmylin
09-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey guys for anyone who is interested I have a Golds membership I am looking to get rid of, instead of full out cancelling I have an option to transfer it over to someone. I believe I pay $22 bi-weekly and the contract is already done on it so you won't be tied into anything.

If you have any questions of would like it give me a PM.

sk8r3124
09-09-2009, 10:35 AM
If the contract is already done, why not just cancel it without a penalty?

imjimmylin
09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm about to but I figure it someone wants to sign up for a Golds membership and doesn't want to be tied into a contract I could do them a favor?? :dunno:

Euro838
09-09-2009, 10:50 AM
As an FYI, if you are not on contract, they will jack up your rates by 15% per year.

Gorilla
09-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I just cancelled my membership.. written letter through registered mail.. have to wait 31 days though.

I only pay 12:50 bi weekly, but cant transfer my membership since its allready changed to monthly.

GOLDS is a Great Gym if you workout there, but once you want to cancel they send the terminator after you. :guns:

sk8r3124
09-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by imjimmylin
I'm about to but I figure it someone wants to sign up for a Golds membership and doesn't want to be tied into a contract I could do them a favor?? :dunno:

Don't do that, cause I need to unload my contract. hahaha

imjimmylin
09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
As an FYI, if you are not on contract, they will jack up your rates by 15% per year.

I just checked my credit card statements and my contract was over about 4 months ago and they never jacked up my price 15%, when does this normally happen?

Euro838
09-09-2009, 12:17 PM

I just checked my credit card statements and my contract was over about 4 months ago and they never jacked up my price 15%, when does this normally happen?

It will happen next year on the annual cycle.

Speed_69
09-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Euro838

It will happen next year on the annual cycle.

Mine went up once I was done my 2 year contract by like 60 cents a month and then they said that would be the only increase for the rest of my time with Gold's Gym. The next year, it increased again and i talked to them about it because they said it wouldn't increase and they lowered it back down. $25.74/month FTW :D

imjimmylin
09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Well I'm probably gonna cancel the membership sometime this week so if anyone wants a no contract membership there just let me know!

TurboD
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Well I'm probably gonna cancel the membership sometime this week so if anyone wants a no contract membership there just let me know!

make sure you don't sign up for a new gym right away, it takes 31 or so days from the time they get your letter until you are officially canceled.

so if you sign up somewhere else post-date the signup for a month down the road.

imjimmylin
09-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Cool thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

turbotrip
09-09-2009, 01:26 PM

this is a great opportunity, someone should jump on it

JAYMEZ
09-09-2009, 02:54 PM
So whats the deal with memberships and not been able to use Eau Claire? I want to get a membership ASAP.. But I also want to use all the gyms.

Criticull
09-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Same thing if you're with WHC, even if month to month (finished contract term) they make you give them 30 days notice.

TurboD
09-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
So whats the deal with memberships and not been able to use Eau Claire? I want to get a membership ASAP.. But I also want to use all the gyms.

do a search, there was a thread about this a while ago

you gotta pay top dollar to work out at eau claire

plus parking

JAYMEZ
09-09-2009, 04:29 PM
didnt search , just called them. Got a good price quote because I knew some trainers there. I think I will be getting from Eau Claire.

GreddyHovs
10-12-2009, 04:26 PM
If I start up a membership, will I be allowed to access all the Golds gym's in Calgary? I'm located in Chestermere and i'm looking into starting a membership at the Northgate one.

pf0sh0
10-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Anyone wanna buy my gym membership?

51.40 a month. about 2 years left and I have 6 free week passes for your friends

4doorj
10-12-2009, 10:42 PM
I go to Golds Gym just off 130th AVE in the SE. I love going there. No plan on canceling my plan so no complaints on that.

Oz-
11-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I have recently started lifting at a different gym (chalk, chains, bands, etc) and no longer have a need for my Gold's membership. Anyone interested in taking over my contract for 20.99 bi-weekly at the Eau Claire location? Has towel service and you don't have the restrictions of going to the other facilities for Gold's in the city. Expires in about 2 years.