PDA

View Full Version : Shaw & Youtube HD

GoChris
08-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Does anyone else have a problem on shaw trying to stream youtube HD vids?

I can download torrents/newgroups at 1.8MB/s yet I can't stream an HD vid without having to wait all the time. :banghead:

TDFTW
08-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Where do you get torrents that download at 1.8mb/s? I cant hit more than 400, EVER.

eblend
08-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Is it studdering or just won't load? It is flash based, ensure you got the latest flash installed (adobe.com)

Also, on my netbook for example I can't watch youtube HD since it will studder, that is because there is not enough video processing power on the netbook to make for smooth playback, don't know if that is related to your problem or not.

Pollywog
08-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by eblend
Also, on my netbook for example I can't watch youtube HD since it will studder, that is because there is not enough video processing power on the netbook to make for smooth playback...
:werd:
2 of my older machines have a hell of a time with HD youtube videos. The sound is smooth, the video is stuttery and unwatchable.

Zhariak
08-30-2009, 09:28 AM
I regularly download (when maxing my connection out) between 1.6MB/sec to 2.2MB/sec...

But yes, youtube hates me also.

Mitsu3000gt
08-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by TDFTW
Where do you get torrents that download at 1.8mb/s? I cant hit more than 400, EVER.

I'm curious about this too...I've seen ~600Kb/sec but nowhere near 1.8MB/s.

beecue
08-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I'm curious about this too...I've seen ~600Kb/sec but nowhere near 1.8MB/s.

You need private trackers to get those speeds or usenet.

Zhariak
08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Downloading from VMWare, Microsoft, etc... I can hit those speeds easily :)

GoChris
08-31-2009, 12:50 PM
It's completely a problem with it being able to download the video fast enough to keep up with playing it. Haven't tried much since I posted but I did read somewhere that switching from regular to HD for the vid once it already started has this problem. I'll test some more.

And regarding the torrent speeds, yes you need good private trackers for those speeds. I don't use public trackers, they are shit. Also I use astraweb for newsgroups, $8/month and it maxes me out.

KrisYYC
08-31-2009, 01:55 PM
I've hit over 1mb/s with public trackers, but usually max out at around 600kb/s.

My fastest download to date was from Nokia.com of all places at just over 3mb/s.

I'm not on Shaw xtreme or anything either, just regular Shaw high speed.

Mitsu3000gt
08-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by beecue

You need private trackers to get those speeds or usenet.

So, how does that work? Is it like azureus but costs $/month in return for ridiculously fast DL speeds? I may be interested in something like that.

Mibz
08-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

So, how does that work? Is it like azureus but costs $/month in return for ridiculously fast DL speeds? I may be interested in something like that. Azureus and uTorrent are clients. Pirate Bay, Demonoid, Mininova, HDBits, what.cd, waffles.fm and a million others are all trackers.

Public trackers can be accessed by anybody and rarely punish people who download and then don't seed. Private trackers require a certain amount of activity and a certain share ratio be maintained for membership to continue. They usually only offer new membership through invites (where the inviter is punished if their invitees don't deliver) or through very short bursts of open signups.

GoChris
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Ya, HDBits for example is a very nice tracker for HD everything. Most seeders on there either have a seed box (rented box with 100Mbit connection), or are european and have 50Mbit+ into their rooms. Every torrent from that site maxes me out. The reason it stays good is because there is a user limit, and if you don't upload (or download even) you get kicked off.

scat19
09-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Man, I don't know what my house has (shared accomodation), but everything flashed based stutters with SHAW.

And during peek times, I'll download off microsoft site at 1.5KB/S. I've even gone low as 800 BYTES a second.

My cell phone tethered gets me 450KB/s.....