PDA

View Full Version : rate my salmon

TurboD
08-29-2009, 09:21 PM
board was soaked over 10 hours

prepped the board (untreated cedar fence board) with olive oil, lemon pepper, and oregano

prepped the fish with
-lemon pepper
-garlic powder
-onion powder
-seasoning salt
-oregano

all my favorite ingredients.

onto the final product, the board actually had red hot coals on the bottom smoldering.

you cannot quite rate it because you cannot taste it....but you get the idea.

the colors are a bit off on my camera, this is the best i could do.

http://www.modelexis.com/beyond/salmon.jpg

dj_rice
08-29-2009, 09:30 PM
From the picture it looks overcooked

bashir26
08-29-2009, 09:34 PM
looks a little crispy but i like that

TurboD
08-29-2009, 09:34 PM
i cooked it slightly longer than recommended, i like the top to have nice crispy edges.

it will take a few more tries to get a happy medium.

i cooked it for 20 mins on the bbq
probably 15 was good enough

desto2para
08-29-2009, 10:08 PM
looks delicious :drool:

sputnik
08-29-2009, 10:18 PM
That is terribly dried out.

What a waste of fish.

Disoblige
08-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
From the picture it looks overcooked

Sorry TurboD but it looks really dry.

TurboD
08-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
That is terribly dried out.

What a waste of fish.

The interior of the fish piece won't reach the same high temperature even when overcooked, so the interior omega 3 fats will still be intact. When protein is overcooked it gets tough but the protein value is still the same.

dj_rice
08-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Come up with whatever explanation and justify it all you want, its still overcooked

Disoblige
08-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by TurboD

The interior of the fish piece won't reach the same high temperature even when overcooked, so the interior omega 3 fats will still be intact. When protein is overcooked it gets tough but the protein value is still the same.

Wtf? The taste man, the taste. And equally as important, texture! :rolleyes:

TurboD
08-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Wtf? The taste man, the taste. And equally as important, texture! :rolleyes:

taste? the taste is amazing.
i know this because i ate it, did you taste it?

my typical meal is pre cooked chicken re heated in the microwave for 3 meals without anything to go with it... so even overcooked this is quite a step up for me.

dj_rice
08-29-2009, 11:35 PM
Okay, so you made this thread and wanted us to rate and critique it and now you complain about our critique.....

And I'm sure a overcooked salmon tasted as good as chewing a piece of rubber

Amysicle
08-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Where did you get your salmon from?

TurboD
08-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
Where did you get your salmon from?

just a frozen piece from safeway - was half price when i bought it.

and dj rice ^

there is a difference between suggesting that something is overcooked and saying its a waste of food, or tastes like rubber.

we've already established in my origional post that it was overcooked intentionally to get the edges crispy.

if you think its overcooked that's fine, but you don't have to tell me how my food should taste.
next time ill post in the amateur, non professional cook forum..... oh wait

or next time ill have to explain that i wont be serving my fish to the prime minister..

or next time ill make a thread where members can post up and tell me what tastes good to me....

or next time ill make a thread where members can instruct me on how to cook fish.

you should make a thread about steak with a picture of how you like your steak so i can tell you that it tastes like shit and you are doing it wrong and should cook it to my desired level.

or you can post up a picture of how you cook your eggs and i can preach about how the way i cook eggs is much more superior to yours and how your wasting eggs.

Amysicle
08-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Ahhhh I know what you're talking about. It's a really good price, but not the greatest quality. If you plan on doing this again and have company over, I find Costco salmon to be really forgiving when it comes to overcooking.

I think it's great that you're experimenting outside of your comfort zone. The flavours your tried out sound like they would go together very well, but it's not my taste. Have you tried salmon with a honey/soy sauce mixture?

TurboD
08-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Amysicle
Ahhhh I know what you're talking about. It's a really good price, but not the greatest quality. If you plan on doing this again and have company over, I find Costco salmon to be really forgiving when it comes to overcooking.

I think it's great that you're experimenting outside of your comfort zone. The flavours your tried out sound like they would go together very well, but it's not my taste. Have you tried salmon with a honey/soy sauce mixture?

i cooked a salmon like this once before and used a fresh non frozen fish from the supermarket that I right away cooked and got great results from.

i tried adding a little bit of vinaigrette with the salmon before but it wasn't quite my taste, or something was missing from the mix.

i had king fish at a restaurant once and it had a dark soy sauce looking mix at the bottom of the plate that the fish was dipped in, but im not sure exactly what was all included.

def would be willing to try a honey/soy mix.
this mix is added after cooking? or before

dj_rice
08-30-2009, 12:08 AM

just a frozen piece from safeway - was half price when i bought it.

and dj rice ^

there is a difference between suggesting that something is overcooked and saying its a waste of food, or tastes like rubber.

we've already established in my origional post that it was overcooked intentionally to get the edges crispy.

if you think its overcooked that's fine, but you don't have to tell me how my food should taste.
next time ill post in the amateur, non professional cook forum..... oh wait

or next time ill have to explain that i wont be serving my fish to the prime minister..

or next time ill make a thread where members can post up and tell me what tastes good to me....

or next time ill make a thread where members can instruct me on how to cook fish.

you should make a thread about steak with a picture of how you like your steak so i can tell you that it tastes like shit and you are doing it wrong and should cook it to my desired level.

or you can post up a picture of how you cook your eggs and i can preach about how the way i cook eggs is much more superior to yours and how your wasting eggs.

I wouldnt cook anything wrong, I went to Culinary School....:rofl: :rofl:

TurboD
08-30-2009, 12:12 AM
^ it seems all you learned from culinary school was how to be a douchebag troll

the one time i tried king fish, the dish looked similar to this, it was crispy almost throughout, best tasting fish i've ever had.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S-6UU2lsdE8/SU4v6rK_-QI/AAAAAAAAAGI/-AiN3PMjEHM/s400/daali+044.JPG

dj_rice
08-30-2009, 12:26 AM
^ it seems all you learned from culinary school was how to be a douchebag troll

the one time i tried king fish, the dish looked similar to this, it was crispy almost throughout, best tasting fish i've ever had.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S-6UU2lsdE8/SU4v6rK_-QI/AAAAAAAAAGI/-AiN3PMjEHM/s400/daali+044.JPG

That looks burned and overcooked too, did you make that one also?

Pahnda
08-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Holy crap people are anal about food, but it gives me a case of the lulz so that's alright.

Grogador
08-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Personally, I prefer "rate my cameltoe" or even "rate my rack", however valiant effort either way.

nonlinear
08-30-2009, 12:21 PM
i'm sorry, but i'v gotta agree with everyone else on this one... it does look really overcooked, especially since it's roasted and not fried like the second one you showed there (i.e. where you would expect a fried crust on the exterior but still a nice, moist inside).

also, IMO salmon sucks in general. way too rich and heavy, and way way way overused cause it's so damn cheap. trout stuffed with lemon and herbs is the best fish for planking.

just my two cents, since you're asking us to 'rate [your] salmon.' :D

EDIT: wow, just read how long you cooked it for, and 20 minutes is far too long of a cooking time, even for a whole trout with all the bones, etc. i would suspect 10-12 minutes would be a more appropriate cooking time for a salmon steak (although as i said i don't do trash fish ahahhahah)

TurboD
08-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
i'm sorry, but i'v gotta agree with everyone else on this one... it does look really overcooked, especially since it's roasted and not fried like the second one you showed there (i.e. where you would expect a fried crust on the exterior but still a nice, moist inside).

also, IMO salmon sucks in general. way too rich and heavy, and way way way overused cause it's so damn cheap. trout stuffed with lemon and herbs is the best fish for planking.

just my two cents, since you're asking us to 'rate [your] salmon.' :D

EDIT: wow, just read how long you cooked it for, and 20 minutes is far too long of a cooking time, even for a whole trout with all the bones, etc. i would suspect 10-12 minutes would be a more appropriate cooking time for a salmon steak (although as i said i don't do trash fish ahahhahah)

can't argue with a reply like that
+1 for actual contribution

heinz256
08-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

That looks burned and overcooked too, did you make that one also?

:rofl: