PDA

View Full Version : Indoor plant suggestions for our weather/climate/location

Old Snake
08-29-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm looking for plants that would survive whole year round that will survive with indirect lighting or artificial lighting.

I'm particular about the plants not having so many leaves that it would take me forever to wipe the dust off the leaves.

JC522
08-29-2009, 11:57 PM
We bought a bonzai tree from home depot for 50$ and it came with a nice decorative pot but it was pretty hard to keep alive. We also bought a palm tree from rona but when I repotted it I reused the soil. Didn't think anything of it until a month later when I watered the plant and a bunch of little bugs that looked like mini centipede came out of the soil. I put the plant outside as fast as I could and learned not to reuse the potting soil and to only use sterilized potting soil when repotting.

ChristineOne
09-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Looking around...

Indoor gardening is just as fun as having an outdoor garden. In fact, indoor plants not only help clean the environment around them, but they act as a quick decorating tool.

TimG
09-05-2009, 07:26 AM
we have a few around the office and at home that have done well:

spider plants
Schefflera

i want to say Dracaena too, but i'm not 100% sure. I'd had one by my desk that has never seen direct sunlight and it's doing just fine.

Old Snake
09-05-2009, 08:29 AM
After doing some research I have found the plants I need for our home.

Originally posted by TimG
we have a few around the office and at home that have done well:

spider plants
Schefflera

i want to say Dracaena too, but i'm not 100% sure. I'd had one by my desk that has never seen direct sunlight and it's doing just fine.

Got 1 spider plant now in the kitchen. :)

Originally posted by ChristineOne
...In fact, indoor plants not only help clean the environment around them, but they act as a quick decorating tool.

For the bedroom I got Philodendron martianum. It was called "Gordo" on the tag when I purchased it on Greengate beside Fishcreek park.

It's great because it has very large leaves with a cool green color on it. Easy to clean with those big leaves. I actually sleep better now that I have a plant.

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron-martianum-2-fo.gif

Has anyone here tried egg shells, coffee grounds and grass clippings as fertilizer? How about melted snow for watering the plants? Rain is supposed to be great since it has a lot of nutrients.

Kritafo
09-05-2009, 12:36 PM
I can hardly believe I missed this thread..lol.
Yes coffee grounds are great. Dry them first, then add just a table spoon or so to the top. If you are potting you can add dried coffee grounds to the mix, along with crushed egg shells, we use an old blender to do ours. Dry the egg shells throw them into the blender store them in a baggie then just add a little every now and then.

Rain water is so incredibly wonderful for plants, we use snow in the winter we just 1/2 fill a bucket and then let it melt to room temp.

Enjoy your new plants! I have lots of ivy, but it's a pain to clean now, it's about 8 ft long. I am just getting ready to start a new topiary with it. Also have lots of violets and cactus. Very simple...a polka dot plant, and ferns do well in Calgary.