PDA

View Full Version : Best Registry To Get Class 5.

seed2
08-30-2009, 11:15 AM
I'm new to the forum and I just wanted to ask some few simply questions about getting my class 5 GDL.

Well let's start by saying that I'm 18 years old and completed my driving course in June, with A-driving in order to lower my insurance cost. Over the summer I have been driving in Italy with my dad. Since I am Italian citizen getting my learners permit there was easy because it only required a medical exam. So I got plenty of experience driving on the most chaotic roads of Rome. I'm coming back in early September in Calgary and starting university and I have some questions.

1. Which registry is the easiest to get your class 5 GDL in the Bowness, crowfoot or Montgomery region? I simply don't want to fail the first time because my instructor is a jacka$%.

2. Is it true that I have to talk all the time with my examiner on what I'm doing in the middle of the exam. I heard from my driving instructor that they even install audio recorders?

3. What's the expense of doing the exam plus getting your license, and registering a vehicle?

4. Which car do you guys recommend to buy, used of course, that doesn't kill me with insurance costs? This car must last me at least all of my secondary education which will last around 4 years. Which place do you guys recommend to buy a used car since is the first time I'm buying one.

And of course i have my class 7 for more then a year-

Thanks for your time.

FullMetal
08-30-2009, 11:27 AM
1-well no its not true that you have to talk to them, u can tell the instructor that u simpily dont want to talk while driving for personal resons.

2- there isnt any easy way to get ur drivers at any registry, if you know how to drive really good and listen to your instructor on what to do as in when he tells you take the left lane, turn left/right some thing like that and also dont make your own actions as in switching lanes or any thing and always have 2 hands on the steering wheel.

3- it depends on the instructor you get. Some people say they always fail you at the first try but i passed at the first try its kinda hard to tell these days cuz theres alot of retarded drivers are out there and the instructors are now more stricked on every one...

seed2
08-30-2009, 12:17 PM
really i dont have to talk to them? so why did they implement these kind of regulations then? :confused:

jljhlhl
08-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Your evaluator will likely ask you to talk for approximately 5 minutes saying what you see going on, road hazards, signs, etc.

I cant remember the cost, but I think the test is around $100 and registering a vehicle is around $100.

As far as a car goes, your insurance will likely be $2000+ as a new driver just for liability anyways, so theres not much to change that unless you have a car that you want collision coverage on.

dannie
08-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Do you physically have an Italian learners licence? If you do, that will help you....

seed2
08-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Yes i do have my italian leaners but its just half sized piece of paper with my pic on it, but how will that help? Do you think that the examiner will somehow show some sympathy for me.

dannie
08-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Ok, so bear with me. This wont be the easiest thing to explain.

If you have a licence from any jurisdiction in the world, you are eligible for exemption. So if you had your learners in Italy for 2 years, you will be exempt from waiting one year to take your road test. You would have to get it translated (if it isnt entirely in english) and surrender it to the registry. You will still have to do the written exam and the road test, but you wouldnt have to wait the full year to do the exam.

If your licence was issued 3 months ago, you get credited for those three months and you will only have to wait for 9 months to do your road test. Making sense so far?

As far as your road test goes, the majority of driver examiners are fair. There are a few that I wouldnt go near with a 10 foot pole, but those are few and far between. You need to remember that the examiner doesn't like failing people. It isn't fun for them either.

Study the book, pass the written test, hand in your licence and do the basic. I would suggest a couple brush-up lessons before you do your road test, but other than that, you should be good to go!

To answer your questions as well:

1. Don't worry about the examiner being a jackass. Driver properly and you will be fine

2. You dont have to talk at all. Talk, dont talk.... doesnt matter. If you dont want to talk though, tell the examiner ahead of time so they dont think you are being a prick and ignoring them. Oh, and no audio recorders. Dont worry about that.

3. $17.60 every time you write your exam, 64.45 to get your licence, 70-85 bucks for the road test, 22.45 to chage the licence from a learner to a driver.

4. I can't give you a great answer for this one, i am sure someone else on here would have some great suggestions.

If this doesnt make sense, let me know