PDA

View Full Version : help - looking to purchase a car

dshadoe
08-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used car and have gotten lost in all the research I've been trying to do, so I'm hoping for some outside perspective,

I'm coming from a 1994 BMW 325i, and aside from some horrible rust issues, have had quite a few mechanical and electrical problems as well. The car is great to drive when it doesn't have problems, but that is fairly infrequent. Unfortunately, I believe the dealer knew more than they let on when they sold it to me, but anyway,

I'm looking for something newer this time around, preferably '03+. Something available in a hatchback is preferable too. I was thinking of just sticking with a Japanese make - Honda over Toyota - but I'm open to anything reliable, and resistant to rust! Manual transmission is also definitely preferable.

I'd like to keep my budget at $8000, taxes/fees in.

I've considered a few cars already...

Various makes of Honda, particularly the Civic (of course), but I just don't find them to be very exciting cars. They also don't seem to be the best for rust protection from what I hear. '06+ look great with the makeover, but sell at closer to $10K from what I've seen.

The Mazda3 seemed like a great option, especially in a hatchback, but it seems Mazda offers extremely poor paint and rust protection. Apparently those issues were handled in '06 (still within my budget too) but I've heard reports of rust issues still being present. I'd love to avoid rust, I'm sick of it.

Volkswagen came up at this point, being affordable cars that offer apparently great rust protection. Golfs/Jettas seem prevalent in particular, not always a good sign. Reviews seem mixed on their reliability though, and BMW has already left a bad taste in my mouth for German engineering.

Anway, anyone have any opinions/insight/advice/etc? Are there other forums where I may be able to get more feedback? I'm located in Toronto by the way, if it matters.

Thanks!

michaelross
09-01-2009, 03:10 AM
hi there.. well i suggest that you go with mazda3. It a nice car minus the rust.. aside from that mazda parts (http://www.car-stuff.com/mazdaparts.htm) can be easily spotted.. new or aftermarket. When it comes to the rust issue, its quite difficult to prevent. But if you really dont want to deal with the rust, then buy a porsche probably. Ive heard that they have this rust prevention technology. :)