PDA

View Full Version : Rat found in NE Calgary

Kritafo
08-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone know which neighborhood?

Apparently they sent letters to all the residents in the community.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/discovered+northeast+Calgary+neighbourhood/1945181/story.html

GQBalla
08-30-2009, 05:59 PM
hehe alberta no longer rat free?

how can they claim something about being rat free anyways?

black13
08-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Hopefully the first cold snap will wipe them out.

5000Audi
08-30-2009, 06:16 PM
wow a rat made news... who the fuck cares.. its just like a mouse.. most likly this rat found was probably a pet rat bought from petland or pieces

spikerS
08-30-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by 5000Audi
wow a rat made news... who the fuck cares.. its just like a mouse.. most likly this rat found was probably a pet rat bought from petland or pieces

it is illegal for any petstores to sell them or import them into Alberta, or to own a "pet" rat for that matter in the province.

I know people have them, but no stores will sell you one.

ZenOps
08-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Alberta is pretty much one of the last rat free zones on the planet. It is the largest by far.

Rats are diesease ridden, and have no quibbles about chewing through power and TV cables. One of the reasons New York has such crappy cable TV - is the 50 year old RG59 cabling that is not only rusting, but also feeds several varieties of rat. They actively pre-poison their cables to discourage rats eating the infrastructure.

Winterkill should help.

homelessman
08-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Alberta is pretty much one of the last rat free zones on the planet. It is the largest by far.

Rats are diesease ridden, and have no quibbles about chewing through power and TV cables. One of the reasons New York has such crappy cable TV - is the 50 year old RG59 cabling that is not only rusting, but also feeds several varieties of rat. They actively pre-poison their cables to discourage rats eating the infrastructure.

Winterkill should help.

no rat to rob anders comparison. i am disappointed

Grogador
08-30-2009, 09:13 PM
One of the reasons New York has such crappy cable TV - is the 50 year old RG59 cabling that is not only rusting, but also feeds several varieties of rat.

Here, we have squirrels :whipped:

Jlude
08-30-2009, 09:18 PM
with a title containing the words "rat" and "NE" I expect this thread to be gang related or something better than this.

71car2
08-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Alberta as one of the last rat free zones? That, somehow I don't believe in that. The US/Alberta border may have success in keeping away these rats from entering... but what about from BC or Sask? I knew BC have rats in the lower mainland - I've seen them while lived there. So there's no way Alberta can guard every KM of its borders all around :rolleyes: !

It's nothing new... the rats had been around a long time on earth.

Now that everyone have seen the news here. That had to happen soon or later and now that day have come... we have to deal with it.

After all, these rats are like cockroaches - they seem to survive thru our endless traps somehow!

GQBalla
08-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by 71car2
Alberta as one of the last rat free zones? That, somehow I don't believe in that. The US/Alberta border may have success in keeping away these rats from entering... but what about from BC or Sask? I knew BC have rats in the lower mainland - I've seen them while lived there. So there's no way Alberta can guard every KM of its borders all around :rolleyes: !

Now that everyone have seen the news here. That had to happen soon or later and now that day have come... we have to deal with it.

After all, these rats are like cockroaches - they seem to survive thru our endless traps somehow!

werd, its so unbelievable when they state Alberta is rat free

top_speed
08-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
with a title containing the words "rat" and "NE" I expect this thread to be gang related or something better than this.
was thinking the same thing :rofl:

szw
08-30-2009, 09:37 PM
wow a rat made news... who the fuck cares.. its just like a mouse.. most likly this rat found was probably a pet rat bought from petland or pieces Spoken like someone who grew up in alberta without having seen a real rat before

ZenOps
08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I've never seen a rat in Alberta going on 35 years. I do believe the statement.

Its almost a daily occurance in other cities, much like pigeons.

Yes, lots of squirrels and gophers, the occasional mouse, but no rats. Rats tend to like heat first, moisture second (as most creatures do) Alberta has neither.

Rob Anders could never be a rat. Rats are resourceful and intellegent.

Antonito
08-30-2009, 09:54 PM
I had no idea that Alberta was rat free. It's kind of weird to think of

Pretty much every highrise I work on in Vancouver ends up with a rat problem before it gets turned over to the owners, and not just in the lower floors. 20 floors up there are rats nests in the fucking walls.

mac_82
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
The history of rat control in Alberta:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3441

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/ba3468a2a8681f69872569d60073fde1/03e5fc78a720466387256a50005184e0/Information/0.852!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

GQBalla
08-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by szw
Spoken like someone who grew up in alberta without having seen a real rat before

i suppose me too, i've also never seen a rat.

probably would think it was gross too...hrm maybe ill retract my statements

Diesel2005
08-30-2009, 10:12 PM
winter is coming up in a few months. The -30c should kill them if there is a rat problem.

Kennyredline
08-30-2009, 10:19 PM

Me too...how ironic is it that they'll get rid of vermin, but they'll keep jackie tran in town.....:dunno:

D'z Nutz
08-30-2009, 10:24 PM
I admit I don't know a lot about rats, but do you guys really think the winter temperatures are enough to kill a rat? Rats are pretty adaptable animals. I don't think our winters are enough to kill them off, especially since they're known to live in a lot colder areas (even within Canada). And really, we only get maybe a week or two of freakish -30 or colder winter days a year.

Edit: Norway/brown rat distribution via wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rat). Haha, there should be a little red speck in Alberta now
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Brown_rat_distribution.png/800px-Brown_rat_distribution.png

nrt_vw
08-30-2009, 10:33 PM
yeah ive also never seen a rat in alberta. seen them all over the states and a few other provinces but not here in alberta

retarded_hobo
08-30-2009, 10:52 PM
wtf is a rat?

Legless_Marine2
08-30-2009, 11:28 PM

Yes, lots of squirrels and gophers, the occasional mouse, but no rats. R

I'd hardly seen any mice in Calgary until 3 years ago, but now I see, and hear about them, all the time. The cat-control bylaw was passed in 2005, and the mice have been having a field day since then.

The rabbit population appears to be exploding as well.

Hopefully someone will look at the unintended consequences of the cat-control bylaw, and rethink it.

Jlude
08-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by retarded_hobo
wtf is a rat?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44307000/jpg/_44307921_rat_416.jpg

bignerd
08-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by 71car2

Rats usually thrive in the lower mainland due to the weather and the large amount of fruit/food grown there. The mountains and lack of crops/fruit in the mountains stops them from spreading to Alberta. Not sure how they stop rats at the Saskatchewan border-I would assume Saskatchewan must have some sort of similar plan in place to protect their crops as well. Maybe it is just the cold winters that kill them off and keep them from spreading across the border.

el_fefes
08-31-2009, 01:49 AM
Rats Infest Saskatchewan city (http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/08/20/10539461-cp.html)

The calls range from rat sightings to bites in people's own beds.

:eek:

H4LFY2nR
08-31-2009, 03:04 AM
wow a rat made news...

Originally posted by mac_82
The history of rat control in Alberta:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3441

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/ba3468a2a8681f69872569d60073fde1/03e5fc78a720466387256a50005184e0/Information/0.852!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

From what it says in the link, it's required/common practice to use local media to make people living outside the "control zone" aware of rat control.

Kritafo
08-31-2009, 05:04 AM
Rats are just nasty...I have seen them the size of a cat. Careful what you pet kids!

whomever mentioned the cat by-law....and I never really thought of it before, but you may be onto something! We never had a problem before the last few years. Been catching a couple a day recently.

spike98
08-31-2009, 08:41 AM
There was a story last week that was in the news regarding a rat that jumped off of a truck coming from sask in brooks. It was killed by a dog and the owners of the dog were on the radio, in the paper, and on TV.

Kind of retarded that someones 15 min of fame is triggered by a rodent.

D. Dub
08-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
Rats are just nasty...I have seen them the size of a cat. Careful what you pet kids!

whomever mentioned the cat by-law....and I never really thought of it before, but you may be onto something! We never had a problem before the last few years. Been catching a couple a day recently.

My "outlaw" cat brings home one or two mice a week. ;)

Our currently politically correct society is often short sighted and downright stupid -- we domesticated cats to control rodents -- not just to look cute and fluffy.

Kritafo
08-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Outlaw cat...lol!

My Airedale is on the program as well, I can barely get her in the house these days. I just hope she never comes to the door with something larger than a mouse.

msommers
08-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

The rabbit population appears to be exploding as well.

Thank god someone else noticed this. Those little fuckers are everywhere now.

As for the winter killing off the rats, Manitoba and N.W.T. get colder than here and the map posted clearly shows they have rats.

Maybe we need to introduce a species to eat rats, mice, gophers and rabbits to control the populations. Circle of life bitches!

freshprince1
08-31-2009, 09:32 AM
I've never seen a rat in Alberta in my 29 years.

I have seen them in Vancouver, around the states and some incredibly huge ones (maybe they were R.O.U.S's) in the Philippines.

R.O.U.S - read: Rodents Of Unusual Size (The Princess Bride).
http://scienceblogs.com/retrospectacle/rous.bmp

Kritafo
08-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by msommers

As for the winter killing off the rats, Manitoba and N.W.T. get colder than here and the map posted clearly shows they have rats.

Maybe we need to introduce a species to eat rats, mice, gophers and rabbits to control the populations. Circle of life bitches!

My neighbors golden coughed up a rabbit....about 2 months ago.

ZenOps
08-31-2009, 10:43 AM

Whoa - no way I'd want to see a creature capable of going toe to toe with a 18-inch rat.

People complain about bed bugs - but just wait until they get a half inch chunk of flesh torn off of them by those gigantic rat teeth.

A natural cold climate defense along with human vigilance has kept the nasties at bay.

Kritafo
08-31-2009, 10:52 AM

Check out this bad ass pitcher plant...it eats rats...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32478588/ns/technology_and_science-science/

msommers
08-31-2009, 11:00 AM
^^That is a pretty sweet plant actually

em2ab
08-31-2009, 11:14 AM

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44307000/jpg/_44307921_rat_416.jpg
Looks like an oppossum, are you sure?

em2ab
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by spikers
it is illegal for any petstores to sell them or import them into Alberta, or to own a "pet" rat for that matter in the province.

I know people have them, but no stores will sell you one.
Shouldn't be too hard to pick up a rat somewhere, they're snake food. How do you make the transition from mice to rabbits?

D. Dub
08-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo

Check out this bad ass pitcher plant...it eats rats...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32478588/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Sure...

great plan...

until it takes a few toddlers

:D

nonlinear
08-31-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I admit I don't know a lot about rats, but do you guys really think the winter temperatures are enough to kill a rat? Rats are pretty adaptable animals. I don't think our winters are enough to kill them off, especially since they're known to live in a lot colder areas (even within Canada). And really, we only get maybe a week or two of freakish -30 or colder winter days a year.

Edit: Norway/brown rat distribution via wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rat). Haha, there should be a little red speck in Alberta now
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/20/Brown_rat_distribution.png/800px-Brown_rat_distribution.png

i'm sorry guys, but that is seriously one of the silliest pictures i've EVER seen, and pretty much confirms that there are indeed rats in alberta. alberta and its big cities are run by fucking idiots (not kidding). they can't even design infrastructure, encourage diversification or figure out long-term stabilizatoin of the economy, yet you think they alone can control the spread of a rat species that has taken over the entire fucking world? give me a fucking break :facepalm:

a lot of you are saying "in my long years of living in alberta, i've never seen a rat therefore they must not exist." shit man, i've travelled all over eurpoe and the us, and lived in the US for 21 years, and i've only seen rats one time, on the docks in San Francisco. so that doesn't mean shit.

nonlinear
08-31-2009, 11:40 AM
oops

D. Dub
08-31-2009, 11:43 AM
^^^^

OK...

Do some of you guys have autism or what? Holy concrete thinking batman.

"Rat free" means that we have no active, breeding infestations of rats.

Not that the occasional rat or two or three doesn't get into Alberta.

When they are discovered we actively and aggressively control them.

Dave P
08-31-2009, 11:54 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e297/morbid_muffin_man/Master_Splinter_Sm1.jpg

Shogged
08-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Alberta is fortunate to be rat free. I sure wish I spent all day long reading things and calling bullshit because im so close minded. :rolleyes:

shit people even provided resources for you to read up on all the things Alberta does to control rats.

We're lucky though, rocky mountains to the west, Montanas shitty climate to the south, and then we have the buffer zone along the Saskatchewan border that is literally FILLED with rat traps and poison. As soon as someone reports a rat too the province goes apeshit and sends out the rat team. Makes it pretty easy to control them.

CUG
08-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Shogged
Alberta is fortunate to be rat free. I sure wish I spent all day long reading things and calling bullshit because im so close minded. :rolleyes:

shit people even provided resources for you to read up on all the things Alberta does to control rats.

We're lucky though, rocky mountains to the west, Montanas shitty climate to the south, and then we have the buffer zone along the Saskatchewan border that is literally FILLED with rat traps and poison. As soon as someone reports a rat too the province goes apeshit and sends out the rat team. Makes it pretty easy to control them. Bienvenue de Beyond.ca

911fever
08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
haha hello So-called Rat Free Alberta

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/08/31/calgary-rats-northeast-neighbourhood.html

FiveFreshFish
08-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Rats don't give a rat's ass about political boundaries.

Antonito
08-31-2009, 05:06 PM

Oh how I wish those fuckers at Fox didn't purge every hint of the simpsons on Youtube. Lets do this the old fashioned way I guess:

SKINNER
Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

LISA
But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

SKINNER
No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

LISA
But aren't the snakes even worse?

SKINNER
Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA
But then we're stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER
No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

nonlinear
08-31-2009, 05:30 PM
the neighborHOOD is conventry hills http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/08/31/calgary-rats-northeast-neighbourhood.html

man, the NE becomes more and more of a ghetto every day :rofl:

5000Audi
08-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by szw
Spoken like someone who grew up in alberta without having seen a real rat before

actually i grew up in small town saskaboob, seen and shot many of rats.. so i do know a rat when i see one... and i was pretty sure ive seen Rats at petland before...

spikerS
08-31-2009, 07:16 PM

actually i grew up in small town saskaboob, seen and shot many of rats.. so i do know a rat when i see one... and i was pretty sure ive seen Rats at petland before...

WELL, there is your problem.....everything looks bigger through a scope.

Again, it is illegal to own, sell or transport a rat in alberta. If petland was selling them, in alberta, they would end up with a pretty hefty fine, and probably have the store shut down. It is pretty serious business in alberta to be caught with a rat, even if it is a pet.

The more you know, 'Cause knowledge is power!
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/03/0331_030331_rats.html

msommers
08-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

Oh how I wish those fuckers at Fox didn't purge every hint of the simpsons on Youtube. Lets do this the old fashioned way I guess:

SKINNER
Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

LISA
But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

SKINNER
No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

LISA
But aren't the snakes even worse?

SKINNER
Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

LISA
But then we're stuck with gorillas!

SKINNER
No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

:rofl: :rofl: I remember that episode. I see your point and it makes sense, but dear God the rabbit populations have exploded. Probably because they're...fuckin like rabbits, and zero predators. Therefore, the big fad at next year's Stampede, deep-fried hare.

msommers
08-31-2009, 07:47 PM

Maybe this guy:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Mustela_putorius_furo.jpg

masoncgy
08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
the neighborHOOD is conventry hills http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2009/08/31/calgary-rats-northeast-neighbourhood.html

man, the NE becomes more and more of a ghetto every day :rofl:

Coventry Hills is ghetto? That's like saying Bridlewood is ghetto... :rolleyes:

Kritafo
09-01-2009, 09:51 AM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Rodents+defying+Alberta+free+claim/1949949/story.html

they are saying it's not just Calgary either now. More have been reported.

bignerd
09-01-2009, 05:45 PM
It pisses me off that people don't take care of thier shit more, and by shit I mean houses. First it was freaking Coyotes living under someones shed in Coventry Hills with pups-because of a broken fence board in their fence, and now rats in someones shed.

Its not that hard to fix a fence board or clean shit out of your shed or away from around your house or under your deck and then this stuff wouldn't happen.

Actually I thought maybe they were at Kritafo's house since she is so big into the vegetable garden and all... lots of food etc..