PDA

View Full Version : Bmw Z4

noob1234
08-31-2009, 01:35 AM
Whats your opinion on the bmw z4? Anybody that owns them can you give me posatives and negatives of the vehicle. I'm looking into an 04 3.0 z4 with smg. Also it won't be my daily driver so I dont really care about the trunk space or anything like that.
thanks guys

95EagleAWD
08-31-2009, 01:51 AM
SMG = :thumbsdow

tawheed
08-31-2009, 01:59 AM
get an s2000 :)

noob1234
08-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by tawheed

Had one already, didnt like the plain interior, and didn't like having to rev the shit out of it all the time.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-31-2009, 09:18 AM
SMG isnt great. Try and go for a 6 speed 3.0si, those are very fun! Also pretty reliable. Styling is controversial, but I like it.

Sugarphreak
08-31-2009, 08:32 PM

tentacles
08-31-2009, 08:55 PM
You can get Z4s with SMG? :confused:

noob1234
08-31-2009, 11:06 PM
The one i'm inquiring about is a great deal so it don't matter that it's smg , I know how to drive manual. Smg will be alright because the gf will be driving it too.

Graham_A_M
09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
You can get Z4s with SMG? :confused:

^ yes mine has SMG. Yeah I absolutely love mine... just a wicked little car. A German go-kart, but with tons of creature comforts. A quick little car considering it gets 36mpg on the highway, and still fairly usable as a daily driver. The M54 engine has insane amounts of torque from 1200 rpm up. I never have to rev mine to get smile inducing performance. But I agree, go with the 3.0I (or 3.0SI if its a 2006 or newer) and only get the conventional 6speed.
The SMG tranny is fantastic WHEN it works right. If one of its countless sensors acts up, the whole tranny will act odd. Its a fantastic design marvel, but as you rack up the kilometers the design complexities can lead to problems. As such: Im looking at converting mine to a conventional 6speed. :( Since with 97k on my odometer with the aftermarket warrenty soon to expire: I dont want to be left with repair bills in the four figure range fairly consistently :banghead:
My tranny has a few quirks about it that REALLY aggravate me. Not having the ability to put the car into any form of "park" isn't too cool. The SMG tranny doesn't have a "park", you have to use the E brake. So forget parking on steep inclines.

Originally posted by tawheed
:nut: Fuck that. There are TONS of former S2k owners that have went from an S2k to a Z4 on Zpost.com all for a variety of reasons. I originally had my eye on an S2k, but after sitting in a Z4 at the auto & truck show THEN into an S2k, it wasn't even a choice.... seriously. The interior differences (if nothing else) did it.. I could go on but. I respect the S2k's, I do, but given the choice? I'd stick with the Z4 anyday.

911fever
09-03-2009, 07:50 AM
I think a Porsche 911 (used, like a 2002+) would be a better choice and more fun. Plus better resale. Buy from the US ;)

Q-TIP
09-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by noob1234
The one i'm inquiring about is a great deal so it don't matter that it's smg , I know how to drive manual. Smg will be alright because the gf will be driving it too.

My gf learned to drive stick in one day and ended up placing mid-pack among a bunch of technically faster cars at autocross a week later.

I say if she can't drive stick then you aren't making her practice enough :bigpimp:

whiskas
09-03-2009, 04:35 PM
S2000 is more of a purist's car, alot of what you're paying for is under the hood. In turn it's why the S2000 outperforms the Z4, but also why the Z4 is more comfortable and easier to live with.

It's really a matter of taste. If someone was looking for a fun roadster for cruising around in I would recommend a miata, Z4 or the 350Z with the touring package.

Taking the S2000 into the mountain twisties is a blast but can be very exhausting.

95EagleAWD
09-03-2009, 04:55 PM
They were saying on Sonic this morning that a Z4 is your wife's or gf's car... And I'd have to agree.

The S2K escapes the "girls car" label for me, because you have to work so hard to get it to perform.

Jlude
09-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

:nut: Fuck that. There are TONS of former S2k owners that have went from an S2k to a Z4 on Zpost.com all for a variety of reasons. I originally had my eye on an S2k, but after sitting in a Z4 at the auto & truck show THEN into an S2k, it wasn't even a choice.... seriously. The interior differences (if nothing else) did it.. I could go on but. I respect the S2k's, I do, but given the choice? I'd stick with the Z4 anyday.

Please go on, I'd really like to hear why it's not even a choice and how the Z4 trumps the S2K.... besides the main reason being, because you own one.

homelessman
09-03-2009, 05:42 PM
z4 is a hairdresser car.

scat19
09-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by whiskas
S2000 is more of a purist's car, alot of what you're paying for is under the hood.

lmao this made me laugh. Sure a 9k RPM limit, but it's booooring the entire way to that 9k.

Purist's car? How? Why? A purists car is a Koengisegg CCXR, Ferrari FXX etc.

And where are you the entire time the car is moving? Interior. And the S2K interior blows.

Impreza
09-04-2009, 08:51 AM
All of you who say the S2000 isn't a great sports car are smoking crack or haven't driven one. At its price range, the S2000 is one of the last few true sports cars out there. There really isn't much that can touch it in terms of a sports car in its price range.

I previously owned a decently modded S2000 for 4 years and loved every single moment I was in the car. I have now moved onto a Z4 Mcoupe and I still miss my S2000 every day! The S2000 puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. It isn't just about revving it to 9k, but everything else, like how it handles and behaves. The silky smooth transmission in the S2000 is hands down, the BEST I have ever driven. It puts the 6sp in my Mcoupe to shame. I even love the interior in the S2000 and how it is so driver focused. Sure, it is not the most visually appealing interior, but it does the trick and really gives you a race-inspired feel while driving.

The Z4 is also a great car, but it appeals to different markets. It is made to be more luxurious and comfortable yet still offer some top down excitement. At the end of the day, the Z4 is not a true sports car, but rather more of a SPORTY car.

Bottom line, dollar for dollar, nothing can match an S2000 if you want a true sports car. If you want something that offers the best of both worlds, go for a Z4. It all comes down to what you want, an all out balls to the wall go-kart, or a fun car that offers you some comforts.

I know the OP previously had an S2000, but I just wanted to give some some helpful insight to those looking at an S2000 and Z4...

texasnick
09-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by scat19

lmao this made me laugh. Sure a 9k RPM limit, but it's booooring the entire way to that 9k.

Purist's car? How? Why? A purists car is a Koengisegg CCXR, Ferrari FXX etc.

And where are you the entire time the car is moving? Interior. And the S2K interior blows.

A car can be a "purist" car without having a Koenigsegg or Ferrari pricetag.

By purist, he means how the driving experience is the number one focus in this car....not how the interior looks.

The F20C and F22C are seriously impressive engines for what they are. Stock they may be a bit boring to some, but TUNING is where they come to life. The heads flow VERY impressive numbers compared to ANY 2.0 or 2.2 L in a stock car. Honda did not comprimise performance for economy like they did with the k series and all their other engines. IMO the s2000 engines (both of them....okay maybe the F20C a bit more) are prime examples of Honda "purist" engines.

It's going to come down to personal preference. If you learn to drive the car correctly, the s2000 will outperform a 3.0 Z4 on a track. If you want something comfortable with cool gadgets and doodads inside, buy the Z4.

tawheed
09-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Aren't the old Z4s built in America?? The latest generation moved back to being built in Germany. I've driven a Z4 M roadster and the one thing I though was impressive were the brakes..

Anyway, they're different cars for different purposes :)

dimi
09-05-2009, 11:42 PM
LOL!

Before I clicked on this thread I knew 2 things would happen:

1. Graham_A_M would start the controversy
2. Somehow an S2000 would be mixed in again

Oh yea, and dollar for dollar a miata is a better sports car than the S2000 IMO.

whiskas
09-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by dimi
Oh yea, and dollar for dollar a miata is a better sports car than the S2000 IMO.

True, but some people like vaginas.

dimi
09-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by whiskas

True, but some people like vaginas.

So why'd you buy an S2000?

95EagleAWD
09-07-2009, 12:17 PM

So why'd you buy an S2000?

He bought that one so I could have money to buy my Evo. :p

kwazy
10-07-2009, 03:13 AM
The Z4 is a POS with the SMG system, I was dating a girl before that had one, I drove it for the first week when she first got it, it was absolute crap with the SMG system, either get the auto or a manual version. Also, the interior looks like shit compared to all the newer gen BMW's. I only drove it a few times when she first got it and I felt like such a tool driving a dinky car like that.

potatopineapple
10-07-2009, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by kwazy
The Z4 is a POS with the SMG system, I was dating a girl before that had one, I drove it for the first week when she first got it, it was absolute crap with the SMG system, either get the auto or a manual version. Also, the interior looks like shit compared to all the newer gen BMW's. I only drove it a few times when she first got it and I felt like such a tool driving a dinky car like that.

Hahaha You sound like a dick, but superficially judging you by your rides list, u have a total right to be. Play on playa!

ragu
10-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Impreza
At its price range, the S2000 is one of the last few true sports cars out there. There really isn't much that can touch it in terms of a sports car in its price range.

You kidding me? 50g for brand new 0 torque 240hp car?
Honestly, ap1 is barely worth 10g. Driving this thing just pisses me of....9k rpm when 7k of it is useless.

LOL!

If you were to spend 20g for a used sports car, nothing can touch corvette.

Skyline_Addict
10-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
All of you who say the S2000 isn't a great sports car are smoking crack or haven't driven one. At its price range, the S2000 is one of the last few true sports cars out there. There really isn't much that can touch it in terms of a sports car in its price range.

I previously owned a decently modded S2000 for 4 years and loved every single moment I was in the car. I have now moved onto a Z4 Mcoupe and I still miss my S2000 every day! The S2000 puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. It isn't just about revving it to 9k, but everything else, like how it handles and behaves. The silky smooth transmission in the S2000 is hands down, the BEST I have ever driven. It puts the 6sp in my Mcoupe to shame. I even love the interior in the S2000 and how it is so driver focused. Sure, it is not the most visually appealing interior, but it does the trick and really gives you a race-inspired feel while driving.

The Z4 is also a great car, but it appeals to different markets. It is made to be more luxurious and comfortable yet still offer some top down excitement. At the end of the day, the Z4 is not a true sports car, but rather more of a SPORTY car.

Bottom line, dollar for dollar, nothing can match an S2000 if you want a true sports car. If you want something that offers the best of both worlds, go for a Z4. It all comes down to what you want, an all out balls to the wall go-kart, or a fun car that offers you some comforts.

I know the OP previously had an S2000, but I just wanted to give some some helpful insight to those looking at an S2000 and Z4...

Excellent post, but then I'm a bit biased as I love my s2000 as much as you. At the end of the day go with what car makes you happier and puts a smile (or bigger smile, since both are undoubtedly nice cars) on your face. Don't be too worried about what other people think - you're not buying it for other people.

To be fair it's hard to decide on a car without trying out its competition. I would suggest test driving a few cars and seeing which one you like the most.

Everything Impreza said about the s2000 is true, though. :D

Skyline_Addict
10-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ragu

You kidding me? 50g for brand new 0 torque 240hp car?
Honestly, ap1 is barely worth 10g. Driving this thing just pisses me of....9k rpm when 7k of it is useless.

do you judge the overall performance of a car based on horse power alone? not saying that there's anything wrong with that if you do, but you have to understand there are people out there who enjoy a car for different reasons than just horsepower alone. that's not even to say the s2000 is slow, as it is a light car. you have to atleast consider power to weight ratio when you talk about horsepower for the number to mean anything at all.

ragu
10-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

do you judge the overall performance of a car based on horse power alone? not saying that there's anything wrong with that if you do, but you have to understand there are people out there who enjoy a car for different reasons than just horsepower alone. that's not even to say the s2000 is slow, as it is a light car. you have to atleast consider power to weight ratio when you talk about horsepower for the number to mean anything at all.

O come on now, you know what exactly I mean when I bring in HP, TQ. If I was to spend 50g on a car and a car thats supposed to be a 'purist' car with perfect seating and bla bla....I would at least expect it to perform as much too.
I love the way they look and I have no issues with the cockpit/ interior... I think its very well laid but the only thing S2K is supposed to deliver is performance....which it lacks. Big Time.

Skyline_Addict
10-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by ragu

O come on now, you know what exactly I mean when I bring in HP, TQ. If I was to spend 50g on a car and a car thats supposed to be a 'purist' car with perfect seating and bla bla....I would at least expect it to perform as much too.
I love the way they look and I have no issues with the cockpit/ interior... I think its very well laid but the only thing S2K is supposed to deliver is performance....which it lacks. Big Time.

I completely understand what the HP/TQ numbers are and what they mean. Numbers are numbers. In fact, I also completely agree that the car could use a bit more oomph (primarly in the lower range rpm), which is why I opted for the 2.2L engine (yes, yes, I know it doesn't make a huge difference, but it's noticeable in that regard).

I'm not trying to deny or talk-up anything in particular about the car. I'm just asking you what you evaluate "performance" on, and what the word means to you. For me personally, I would like to base the abilty of the car on what it can do on circuit road courses with tight turns. That's the type of driving I like to do.

From my knowledge, the s2000 has been documented in many many regards as being in a class of its own when it comes to road racing. I have also been involved in road racing to some degree and know others with s2000s who do the same. It's a hell of a car on the track, amazing to drive, and the s2000s always seem to be some of the faster cars of the pack. Mind you, the best modification for a car is a good driver, so there are too many variables in that statement...but there's no doubt that a good driver matted to a properly tuned s2000 is a pretty deadly combo.

To me personally, this is what defines much of the "purist"word that has been brought up a few times. I am well aware that most well-documented competition racing involves modified s2000s, but it's interesting to note that 99% of these cars are NA with practically stock engines. I love the car for the thrill it provides and what I want from a car and I can get over the "lack of power". It's no secret that the car is all about the handling and not so much about the power. But for some, perhaps yourself, a car can never be complete without having what you define as acceptable performance (power). And that's perfectly fine.

P.S I wouldn't pay 50,000 for a brand new s2000 either, that's a rip off. One of the nice things about them is they can be had for pretty good prices on the used market if you're willing to look/wait! Most if not all cars are a rip off for what you pay brand new from the dealer anyway.

P.S.S I'm not going to jack this thread anymore, lol :P

ragu
10-07-2009, 05:33 PM
^Fair enough, I was going price vs power/performance when someone said its the best priced sports car. Yes, for me most of performance is pure power....if I did own the s2000 it would be my perfect winter beater, RWD + cockpit + low TQ + no roof for chinooks :clap: (no offense, I do have a thing for s2000 but disappointed due to its power)