PDA

View Full Version : Chunky Soup and camping

Euro838
08-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Okay,

I just had discussion with a friend of mine regarding this topic and a few questions came up. I'm sure a lot of ppl here have had the age old delicacy of opening up the top, removing the label and placing a can of Chunky Soup (or other type) on the campfire (on a grill above the fire of course). Then waiting until it boils and then eating directly from the can.

It's a simple and fulfilling meal. Anyways, the question came up as whether this is a safe practice to do now that the new cans have that inner lining or whatever. I did a quick google and nothing certain came up so we are wondering if anyone knows more regarding this topic.

For those that go camping, do you do this or still do this? Any concerns regarding contaminants "leaking" into the soup from heating? Anyways, hopefully someone can shed some factual light on this topic rather than just frenzy paranoia.

Rat Fink
08-31-2009, 10:02 AM

Sasuke_Kensai
08-31-2009, 10:12 AM
It's supposed to be Bisphenol A lining canned goods, isn't it?

lilmira
08-31-2009, 10:32 AM
You can phone Campbell's at 1-800-410-7687.

Euro838
08-31-2009, 10:34 AM
I guess from these articles that I have read, if it's considered unsafe to eat from these lined cans, it doesn't matter if you heat it up in it or not as they all contain the "toxic" compound.

http://www.lifemeanshealth.com/health-news/bisphenol-a-chemical-commonly-found-in-canned-soup-and-food-storage-plastics.html

msommers
08-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Fuck cambells soup!! What you need to do is buy packages of the microwavable rice, cut the top off a beer can, throw the rice in there, put beside fire and rotate till it's steaming. SOO DELICIOUS

sputnik
08-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
I just had discussion with a friend of mine regarding this topic and a few questions came up. I'm sure a lot of ppl here have had the age old delicacy of opening up the top, removing the label and placing a can of Chunky Soup (or other type) on the campfire (on a grill above the fire of course). Then waiting until it boils and then eating directly from the can.

The thing that will be the biggest problem is you inability to stir the soup resulting in the soup on the bottom burning completely.

It really isnt that hard to bring a small pot with you.

Danny Meehan
08-31-2009, 11:06 AM
pot is a good idea. don't eat it from the can

SilverGS
08-31-2009, 11:26 AM
You had to make a thread about this lol.

Okay so this came up while we were camping as well. We did a can the regular way and ate it but the next couple we used a pot a friend brought. I guess since we have always done it that way I didn't even think of the BPA issue with the plastic lining inside. I thought about it again when all I had to put it in for eating was a plastic cup.

Even before seeing this thread though already decided to get some camping pots and cups and bowls for next time.

Originally posted by msommers
Fuck cambells soup!! What you need to do is buy packages of the microwavable rice, cut the top off a beer can, throw the rice in there, put beside fire and rotate till it's steaming. SOO DELICIOUS