View Full Version : Baby beaten on Winnipeg street

urban.one
09-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Baby assaulted in Gilbert Park area
Teen credited with saving child's life
By: Gabrielle Giroday

1/09/2009 11:25 AM
Print E–mail Share ThisReport Error [email protected] Enlarge Image

The Winnipeg police child abuse unit is investigating the incident on Chudley Street near Gilbert Avenue.
WINNIPEG — An 18-year-old man is being credited with saving the life of a baby whose head was being smashed into a sidewalk early this morning.

Tyler Bilsborrow said between 4 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. Tuesday he stepped outside his Gilbert Park home to smoke a cigarette and heard whimpering noises.

He noticed a woman sitting on a sidewalk near Chudley Street and Tyndall Avenue hitting something against the sidewalk. He realized with horror it was a child.

"I thought the woman was drunk, beating up a cat," recalled Bilsborrow, standing less than 100 metres from where the incident took place. "(The child) was screaming, crying, trying to breathe."

As he walked toward them, the crying woman dropped the child and ran off. The baby lay on its stomach and feebly tried to crawl, he said.

Bilsborrow, father of a two-year-old daughter, used his sweatshirt to wrap around the beaten child. He used a cell phone to alert police and rubbed the child’s stomach to calm it down, he said.

Police said Tuesday morning the child was in guarded condition at hospital.

Bilsborrow said he believed the child was a girl about six or seven months old. He said the woman had gripped the child’s body by its neck, with its face turned away from her, as she rapped its head against the sidewalk.

"Nobody in their straight mind could do that to a kid," he said. "(The police) said ‘You pretty much saved its life.’"

Bilsborrow said the woman was in her 20s, wearing jeans and a short-sleeved shirt.

He described extensive injuries to the child, who was clothed in a muscle shirt covered in blood and a diaper.

Police said Tuesday morning officers were interviewing people in connection with the case but could not confirm anyone had been taken into custody.

Bilsborrow said he was at the Public Safety Building for about two to three hours being interviewed by police.

Tyler's mother, mother, Pearl Bilsborrow said she wants to bring the child a blanket. She said she considers her son a hero.

Officers from the Child Abuse Unit are leading the investigation.

Tik-Tok
09-01-2009, 02:13 PM
:(

adam c
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
holy fuck, everytime i read something like this it makes me think of my daughter and how someone could fucking do that

i hope that person is hung from a fucking tree and has rocks thrown at their face

JMaj7
09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
WwwoooowwwWw. I wouldve lost it the second I heard the whimpering noise.

dharminder
09-01-2009, 02:18 PM

rockanrepublic
Originally posted by adam c
holy fuck, everytime i read something like this it makes me think of my daughter and how someone could fucking do that

i hope that person is hung from a fucking tree and has rocks thrown at their face

i hope there kept alive for years while people throw rocks at there face

EK 2.0
I truly understand less and less what is going through the minds of "human beings" as time goes on....

JfuckinC
09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
yah that would have been a fucking flying kick to the face and hopeful KO. hand the kid off to someone and beat that bitch bad.

GQBalla
09-01-2009, 02:42 PM
wow....

people these days...

CdnSilverStreak
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by JMaj7
WwwoooowwwWw. I wouldve lost it the second I heard the whimpering noise.

x2

whiskas
09-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Good on the guy saving the baby. Although I pity the bastard for being 18 and having a 2yo kid already.

revelations
09-01-2009, 02:57 PM
:facepalm:

FYI, Gilbert Park is the Forest Lawn of the Peg.

97'Scort
09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Wait, did smoking a cigarette just SAVE a life here?

TorqueDog
09-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by revelations
FYI, Gilbert Park is the Forest Lawn of the Peg. LOL, there is nothing in Calgary that compares to how bad Winnipeg is. Not even Forest Lawn.

I read this article earlier and it made my stomach turn. Either shoot her immediately, without a trial, or keep her alive and torture her for decades.

psycoticclown
09-01-2009, 03:22 PM
This story actually made me sad and sick, and most stories don't.

revelations
09-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
LOL, there is nothing in Calgary that compares to how bad Winnipeg is. Not even Forest Lawn.

I read this article earlier and it made my stomach turn. Either shoot her immediately, without a trial, or keep her alive and torture her for decades.

I didnt say Gilbert Park is LIKE Forest Lawn, I said it is like THE Forest Lawn of Winnipeg :thumbsup:

KuruptEX
09-01-2009, 03:29 PM
stupid bitch should be hung after i read that i had to give my baby girl a hug. i cant think how you can do this to an innocent playful child stupid bitch should be stoned to near death :banghead: :banghead:

Kloubek
09-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Wait, did smoking a cigarette just SAVE a life here?

Lol... I was thinking the same thing.

That's just sick. What the hell is wrong with people?

JAYMEZ
09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
wow... I dont even know what to say about that.. gota be fucking kidding me... Hunt the bitch down.

masoncgy
09-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Alright, I am officially sick to my stomach... :barf:

Clark-Kent
09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
:facepalm:
People who do this make me sick

Like Jaymez said Hunt the bitch down :guns:

01RedDX
09-01-2009, 04:05 PM

GoChris
09-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Wow...I actually felt like puking reading that. Being a father of a 1 year old...that's fucking disgusting.

Xtrema
09-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
$5 says Native...

I don't like the odds.

jonnycat
09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Sick, sick, sick. I don't think I could handle having witnessed that. That shit would be replaying in you mind everytime you closed your eyes.

swak
09-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I love manitoba, im not ashamed to say it.
But winnipeg drives me nuts, its sick, dirty, and crap like this happens on a more regular basis than it should.

v2kai
09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
:thumbsdow :guns: kill the bitch

Eleanor
09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
It was self-defense.

FREE HAT!

abyss
09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
:barf: Stories like this always make me ill. I can't even imagine being that out of it to do that to a baby. I think I'm gonna go hug my son. :cry:

CUG
09-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Are you fucking kidding me? For fucking real? I've had it with this shit.

CUG
09-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I don't like the odds. I've toured that area, guaranteed. I'll make it a $20 for anyone wanting in on it.

Little Dragon
09-01-2009, 05:45 PM
The baby lay on its stomach and feebly tried to crawl...

That really got me, the thought of the baby desperately trying to crawl away.

BenC
09-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Unfucking believable. I can't imagine seeing that

im2fst4u
09-01-2009, 07:07 PM
This has to be one of the most disturbing, gut wrenching, sad stories I have ever heard. I cant imagine what possessed the woman to commit such an act on a helpless child.

And like Little Dragon said, the part in the story "The baby lay on its stomach and feebly tried to crawl..." really hit me....hard.

I have 4 children and even the thought of this makes my entire household that much closer from the read. This woman must have some serious issues and does not deserve to have a child (assuming the child was hers) nor does she deserve to breathe the same air.

Very sad story.....I am going to call a bank in Winnipeg tomorrow and set up a fund for the little one....perhaps one day the little one will have a better life.

And one more thing....I am going to send a card and flowers to the Bilsborrow family on behalf of my family and Beyond members. Tyler Bilsborrow is a hero and he stood up for what is right and he deserves the right to be labeled a "HERO"!

Tyler Bilsborrow
http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/240*153/bilsborrow18143021H2884189.jpg

pf0sh0
09-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Thats fucked. But I like how they used the word "it" when referring to the baby.

Ajay
09-01-2009, 07:31 PM

Reading that sent a shiver down my spine. A poor little innocent and defenceless newborn doesn't deserve that.

illtim3d
09-01-2009, 07:45 PM
"I thought the woman was drunk, beating up a cat,"

I like how it sounds like this is a common thing in peg. Even beating up a cat is fucked in the head, but a baby is x10.

Melinda
09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
That actually brought tears to my eyes. If my son wasn't sleeping soundly right now, I'd be giving him the biggest hug ever.

I can't believe anyone would do that to another human let alone a small baby. And at 4am? What a totally random time. I hope they catch that woman and the baby gets a home he or she will be loved and nurtured in.

Graham_A_M
09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
$5 says Native...

I was just about to say, it probably was a Native. :(

Wow, I honest to God hope they find that broad and put her behind bars until her hair is grey. :banghead: :banghead:
WTF is wrong with people? honestly? Jesus christ.

rizfarmer
09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I was just about to say, it probably was a Native. :(

Wow, I honest to God hope they find that broad and put her behind bars until her hair is grey. :banghead: :banghead:
WTF is wrong with people? honestly? Jesus christ.

damn racists! how dare you say the N word in the same sentance as Winnipeg.

swak
09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

damn racists! how dare you say the N word in the same sentance as Winnipeg.

hahahaha...
Gold. :D

Stealth22
09-01-2009, 10:35 PM
+1 to pretty much everything said above :(

I honestly feel like I'm going to puke all over my keyboard. I can't imagine being a witness to that, or even try to think how the responding cops/paramedics must have felt...for what those guys deal with, this is over the top.

I'm only 21, so I'm not nearly old enough to have kids of my own, but I have friends and older cousins who have kids...this is just...disgusting. :barf:

TurboD
09-01-2009, 10:55 PM
hate to think with a start like this how hard the rest of life will be for this child.

reno97637
09-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Sad to hear another child get hurt in Manitoba. Seems like Winnipeg is getting worse and worse.

banned3x
09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
i cant even comment on this story too fucked up.

reno97637
09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by TurboD
hate to think with a start like this how hard the rest of life will be for this child.

True. With no parents around and most likely no family coming forward, this kiddo is gonna be bounced around from foster parent to foster parent. And most foster parents in Winnipeg are in it for the money.

Danny Meehan
09-02-2009, 12:23 AM
We have been desensitized by crime and violence , but once in a while you read something that turns your stomach upside down

Tomaz
09-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Fucking sick.

That woman better pray that nobody reconises her on the street. She deserves unimaginable amounts of pain.:barf:

Shunsui
09-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm actually cringing right now, fuck! I honestly believe I would've killed her after I saw what she did to the poor baby cause this is just disgusting, and inhuman.:barf:

Wrinkly
09-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Stunned! Just stunned - and sick to my stomach.

Any news on how the little one is doing? I hope there's no brain damage and she finds a good, loving family to take care of her :( :( :(

im2fst4u
09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
ATTEMPTED MURDER

WINNIPEG — A 19-year-old woman has been charged with attempted murder after a baby was severely beaten in public in Winnipeg's inner city Tuesday morning.

A police investigation revealed that the 14-month-old child was removed from a city residence, after which the assault occurred near an area school.

A witness, Tyler Bilsborrow, 18, came to the baby's rescue and called 911. The suspect fled the scene but was apprehended a short distance away shortly after.

Police said Tuesday morning the child was in guarded condition in hospital with serious injuries.

Nikita Solange Eaglestick faces numerous charges including attempted murder, abduction, aggravated assault and failure to comply with conditions of a recognizance.

She has been detained in custody.

The Winnipeg Police child abuse unit continues to investigate.
© Copyright (c) Winnipeg Free Press

403Gemini
09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
It's good that the 18 year old did something instead of "minding his own business" ... but man that's scary and sad :(

D'z Nutz
09-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by im2fst4u
Nikita Solange Eaglestick

Now before anyone jumps to any conclusions, Eaglestick might be a variation of Eigelsteich, which obviously isn't a native name :rofl:

All joking aside, I'm glad they found this nutjob.

adam c
09-02-2009, 12:43 PM
ATTEMPTED MURDER

WINNIPEG — A 19-year-old woman has been charged with attempted murder after a baby was severely beaten in public in Winnipeg's inner city Tuesday morning.

A police investigation revealed that the 14-month-old child was removed from a city residence, after which the assault occurred near an area school.

A witness, Tyler Bilsborrow, 18, came to the baby's rescue and called 911. The suspect fled the scene but was apprehended a short distance away shortly after.

Police said Tuesday morning the child was in guarded condition in hospital with serious injuries.

Nikita Solange Eaglestick faces numerous charges including attempted murder, abduction, aggravated assault and failure to comply with conditions of a recognizance.

She has been detained in custody.

The Winnipeg Police child abuse unit continues to investigate.
© Copyright (c) Winnipeg Free Press

i can finally stop checking this thread now, everytime i come into this thread i picture the baby trying to crawl away all beaten :(

Wrinkly
09-02-2009, 01:05 PM
ATTEMPTED MURDER

the 14-month-old child was removed from a city residence

Nikita Solange Eaglestick faces numerous charges including abduction

So she did this to some one elses child???

revelations
09-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly

So she did this to some one elses child???

"Eaglestick was drinking at a party at the residence of the child's parents prior to the assault, but police have not yet identified any potential motive for the attack against the girl."

Z_Fan
09-02-2009, 05:06 PM
LOL

The only thing I am surprised about is that it is not her own kid.

That's fucking disgusting. Hope this girl gets the death penalty.

*OH WAIT* Stupid Fucking Canada doesn't have the death penalty. Well, newsflash, we need it for dumb bitches like this.

Graham_A_M
09-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Now before anyone jumps to any conclusions, Eaglestick might be a variation of Eigelsteich, which obviously isn't a native name :rofl:

All joking aside, I'm glad they found this nutjob.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Xtrema
09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by CUG
I've toured that area, guaranteed. I'll make it a $20 for anyone wanting in on it.

I don't like the odds as it's not a bet you can win. Fuck up stories + Winnipeg = 99% Native relative. And sure enough, it is.

The other sad news out of the same area this week:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090831/national/crime_teen_killed

sputnik
09-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Nikita Eaglestick's MSN profile.

http://cid-becd26aa7a55bb47.profile.live.com/

im2fst4u
09-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Nikita Eaglestick's MSN profile.

http://cid-becd26aa7a55bb47.profile.live.com/

Not that I care to see what this animal looks like but I clicked the link as curiosity got the best of me.....now I hate this waste of skin even more after reading the comments left on her profile by others outraged by her actions.

GQBalla
09-03-2009, 08:10 AM
what a waste of skin that girl is, look at her profile shes getting drilled ahahah

n1zm0
09-03-2009, 08:35 AM
the girl had no relation to the baby or parents? WTF? she deserves a curb stomp x10 i hope she gets beat to shit in jail, fken disgusting, 6-7 months that poor kid couldn't do anything whatsoever, also the parents, you get that fked up that you didnt have your baby in check? or maybe she just stole him/her out of the house.

JAYMEZ
09-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Wow someone elses child... Fuck , i hope the worse on her... Stupid bitch. I hope the baby is ok.. Hopefully because of the age , the child will forget the actual incident.. Who knows :dunno:

TorqueDog
09-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Wow someone elses child... Fuck , i hope the worse on her... Stupid bitch. I hope the baby is ok.. Hopefully because of the age , the child will forget the actual incident.. Who knows :dunno: Given the potential for this assault to cause brain damage, the child might be fucked for the rest of its life. Remembering the incident is the least of its worries - wiping its own ass without assistance at age 30, however....

D'z Nutz
09-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Eaglestick not unfamiliar with the law.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2009/09/03/mb-child-beaten-winnipeg-recovery.html

Toddler beaten in Winnipeg expected to recover

A toddler beaten and left near a Winnipeg playground on Tuesday is making remarkable progress and is expected to recover with no permanent damage, says her mother.

Fourteen-month-old Vanessa Jamie Houle had breathing tubes removed from her mouth and is doing fine, according to her mother, Daisy Houle.

Houle, however, has not yet been able to see Vanessa due to the investigation, which involves the police and Child and Family Services. She said she has been told she will get access soon.

When that time comes, she has invited the man she credits with saving Vanessa's life to visit the little girl.

Tyler Bilsborrow was having a cigarette outside his home on Chudley Street at about 4:30 a.m. on Tuesday when he heard screams and went to look. At the edge of a playground across the street he saw a woman slamming something against the sidewalk.

In the dark, Bilsborrow thought it was a cat being beaten, but when he approached the woman, she dropped the child and ran off.
Tyler Bilsborrow is being hailed as a hero for intervening in the assault on Vanessa Houle.Tyler Bilsborrow is being hailed as a hero for intervening in the assault on Vanessa Houle. (CBC)

He removed his sweater and swaddled the little girl, holding her until emergency crews arrived. Emergency crews have told him Vanessa would surely have died if he hadn't intervened.

She was in serious condition when she was initially rushed to hospital.

Nikita Solange Eaglestick, 19, is in custody charged with attempted murder, abduction and aggravated assault.

According to court documents obtained by CBC News, Eaglestick was already facing 14 other charges from incidents earlier this summer, including assault with a weapon, assault causing bodily harm, and uttering threats. Last week, the Crown consented to release her from custody with strict conditions.

Kelvin Goertzen, Manitoba Conservative justice critic, said she should never have been released.

"The majority of individuals who are going out on bail and getting conditions don't think they're ever going to be monitored, and if they do break those conditions of their bail, that there's ever going to be consequences. That was probably the case here as well," he said.

According to police, there is no relationship between Eaglestick and Vanessa. Eaglestick was attending a house party at Houle's residence in a Manitoba housing complex on Gilbert Avenue when she allegedly snatched the girl from her crib.

Houle said Eaglestick came to the party with a friend but was not known to anyone else at the home.

Gilbert intersects with Chudley at the edge of Shaughnessy Park, where Bilsborrow found Vanessa. Houle didn't know Vanessa was missing until the little girl had already been taken to the hospital.

She said she ran around looking for Vanessa. Not until she heard on early-morning radio newscasts that a baby had been beaten in the neighbourhood did Houle realize where her daughter was. She then contacted police.

On Thursday, residents in the Gilbert Park housing complex where Houle and Vanessa live gathered to hold a healing circle with an elder at a nearby community centre to pray for the girl's recovery and those emotionally affected by the incident.

Eaglestick remains in custody and is scheduled to be in court on Sept. 21.

PremiumRSX
09-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Another criminal who has been released only to have re-offended.. :banghead:

Rat Fink
09-04-2009, 03:24 PM

Sugarphreak
09-04-2009, 03:41 PM
6 months from now after we are going to hear the same old "Not criminally responcible" and she will be sent to a crazy house... a year from now she will be out again. :rolleyes:

Graham_A_M
09-05-2009, 05:53 PM
She has a beating of her own coming to her if she ever steps foot in a jail.
Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Yeah I think she has a name that'll stick in a lot of peoples minds after this incident.
If I ever run across this person in my travels I'll make sure experiences what Karma really is.
This is unbelieveable a person could do that to an innocent tottler, just boggles my mind completely. :nut:

TorqueDog
09-05-2009, 09:14 PM
You guys aren't going to believe this... in the Winnipeg Sun today:

Tot's dad furious accused out on bail
When daughter seriously beaten

By CHRIS KITCHING, SUN MEDIA

The father of a little girl seriously beaten earlier this week is furious the 19-year-old woman accused in the attack was out on bail at the time, despite alleged repeated court-order breaches.

Vincent Bear said the woman should've been kept in custody, given the fact she allegedly violated conditions of her release nine times in a two-month period, in addition to other alleged crimes.

"Somebody like that, they shouldn't be running around on the streets," said Bear, whose 14-month-old daughter Vanessa is recovering in hospital after Tuesday morning's abduction and attack on Chudley Street.

The toddler suffered serious injuries to her face and head but has made a significant recovery since she arrived in hospital in critical condition. She is now stable. "She should be OK," Bear said yesterday.

Tory MLA Kelvin Goertzen, the party's justice critic, said he, too, wonders why the woman was given bail. He attacked the NDP government's bail policy, accusing it of being too lenient.

'Preventable'

"This is a situation where the crime could have been prevented," Goertzen said.

Bear said he was angered and sickened by the assault.

"I'm trying to blank it out of my head," said Bear, who is separated from the girl's mother, Daisy Houle. He said the pair also has a four-year-old son and two-year-old daughter.

The suspect allegedly snatched Vanessa from her crib, took her from Houle's Gilbert Avenue home, and repeatedly smashed her face into a concrete sidewalk.

Police spokesman Const. Jason Michalyshen said he hasn't been told what the motive was. He was unaware if the child abuse unit has identified one.

Police have charged Nikita Solange Eaglestick, 19, with attempted murder and other offences.

Eaglestick, who doesn't have any adult convictions, was granted bail about four days before the assault.

She was in custody for an Aug. 21 incident in Little Grand Rapids First Nation, her home community, where she allegedly resisted arrest, made threats and breached court orders to abstain from alcohol and keep the peace. The Crown didn't oppose bail.

Prior to that, it's alleged Eaglestick failed to abstain or keep the peace seven times since the conditions were imposed July 10, when she was charged in a serious assault in Little Grand Rapids, according to court records.

[email protected]

Disoblige
09-05-2009, 09:58 PM
What the fuck.

Bail on attempted murder.. of a BABY? Well fuck me..

Watch her offend again later.. Is 14 previous charges not enough for you Judge?!

I seen 19 year olds face extensive community service from taking their dads new BMW for a joy ride and then crashing it, in Calgary courts.. And this bitch gets bail?! Seriously.

atgilchrist
09-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
What the fuck.

Bail on attempted murder.. of a BABY? Well fuck me..

Watch her offend again later.. Is 14 previous charges not enough for you Judge?!

I seen 19 year olds face extensive community service from taking their dads new BMW for a joy ride and then crashing it, in Calgary courts.. And this bitch gets bail?! Seriously.

READ! She was out on bail when she committed the attack. She's still a piece of shit, but definitely not out on bail now.

nrt_vw
09-06-2009, 06:48 PM
wow that is fucked

revelations
09-06-2009, 10:18 PM
This is what can happen when a left-leaning party runs a province - the courts start to get soft on criminals.

mac70135
09-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I wish I could get my hands on this Eaglestick piece of shit bitch