PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy art prints

ExtraSlow
09-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Looking to get some more art for the house. The spaces I'm looking at will require some pretty major sized pieces, which if it's an original painting, would be $2500 to $10,000. Anyone know of a place that sells large prints?

I don't have much trouble finding art that intests me in pretty much any gallery, so it's not like I"m looking for something from a specific artist or anything.

the ones I've been drawn to recently have been oil painitngs of landscapes (mountain or prairie).

Civ2NR
09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I recently purchased a couple of large prints from Avenida Art in Market Mall. They do have lots of landscape prints there from what I remember. Also, I was able to bargain them way down by purchasing multiple pieces...not many people buying prints in a recession I gathered ;)

ExtraSlow
09-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I'll check that out. What kind of prices were they?

Civ2NR
09-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I don't remember the individual breakdown but they were in the range of $1000, $1000, and $2000...I paid $4,000 in total. If I remember correctly the original price on these was closer to $5,000.

black_2.5RS
09-01-2009, 07:52 PM
If you live in the SW (by Aspen Hills), you may want to check out "Prints Charming". There's a little strip mall in there with a Crepe and a good wine store.

Grogador
09-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Avenida Art Gallery is owned/run by a stupid bitch and her husband, who abuse and exploit their employees :(

http://www.preludeframing.com just did some HuGE pieces for our new building, they came out very nice :thumbsup:

Edit: I guess Prelude Framing does the framing (duh) and their actual galleries are http://www.artevo.com and/or http://www.artevogalleries.com/

ExtraSlow
10-03-2009, 02:06 PM
The Calgary Artevo Gallery, Artists of the World, is a beautiful space. We had a work function there, and it was great to be able to hang out before and afterwords in the gallery.
I've been sidetracked by a vacation, but I'm hoping to get some time to check out these places this fall.

ExtraSlow
10-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Just as an update, ended up buying a couple pieces from deviantart dot com.
They have a pretty varied selection of prints, and you can choose your size and framing method.
Got one in a 30x40 inch size for my dining room.
They should be here in a week or two.

ExtraSlow
11-13-2009, 11:11 AM
And as a further update, the pieces came from DeviantArt.
The 30x40 inch piece is a photo that's been printed on canvas and stretched over a wooden frame. Quality looks great and no damage during shipping. We don't plan on doing any additional framing on this one.
The smaller print is a 20x30 inch print of a painting that was actually printed on Photo paper. Came shipped in a roll, and quality looks good.
We're putting it in a $30 frame from Ikea.
They were running a free shipping event when I ordered these, so total price for both, plus the $30 fram from ikea was under $350. Pretty darned good.

No substitute for original artwork, but a good option for the non-baller crowd.

mr2mike
11-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Could you not tour art central downtown and if you see a piece you like, buy it? I'm sure some of those are for sale.

Or check out ACAD's yearly art sale. You then get local artists and some of them are damn good.