PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Issue, Opinions Please

t_soarer
09-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Hi all,

My car was originally purchased from Honda West and serviced there until pretty much now. Took her to the dealership 2 months ago to get my check engine light inspected. It was determined that I needed a new catalytic converter and an O2 sensor. The dealership quoted $1100+GST for everything :eek: and I couldn't afford that at the time. So I had everything done for about $450 somewhere else. Today I was flipping through my warranty manual and discovered that these emission parts are still covered for another year, in particular the cat. converter. Need an opinion, if anyone has had a similar experience, for how this will turn out. I'm calling the service manager tomorrow to find out why this wasn't discussed when I was being quoted the outrageous amount. I'm the 2nd owner of the vehicle if that makes any difference. Thanks for the input.

adidas
09-01-2009, 09:57 PM
As ive read hear multiple times,

If they decline to anything, go in on a busy saturday afternoon and complain right infront of all the customers!

anothers10
09-02-2009, 03:32 AM
are you still under the kms ?

t_soarer
09-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by anothers10
are you still under the kms ?

Yeah, got 115,000 kms right now and the warranty covers 8 years/130,000kms. Car is 7 years old. :dunno:

gen3teggy
09-02-2009, 07:07 AM
i think ur over, that could cover power train, like...ur tranny? i think?

t_soarer
09-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by gen3teggy
i think ur over, that could cover power train, like...ur tranny? i think?

As per warranty manual: Emissions parts: 3 way catalytic converter: 8 years/130,000 kms

redline
09-02-2009, 09:00 AM
So what do you want them to do?

hampstor
09-02-2009, 09:16 AM
^^ :werd:

You've already had the work done elsewhere... what do you want them to do about it now?

You probably spoke to a newbie at the counter who like you, didn't know the warranty on that component at the time. Sorry bud... i think the most you'll get is an apology from them.

Zero102
09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Was the warranty transferred to you when you bought the car?

Also, it is likely the catalytic converter is fine they were just trying to squeeze some extra cash from you, and the O2 sensor is not covered by the emissions warranty.

t_soarer
09-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

You probably spoke to a newbie at the counter who like you, didn't know the warranty on that component at the time.

I actually spoke with one of their senior service advisors at the time. Just spoke with the service manager & will be sending a copy of the invoice for the job I got done somewhere else. See what happens.

t_soarer
09-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Was the warranty transferred to you when you bought the car?

Also, it is likely the catalytic converter is fine they were just trying to squeeze some extra cash from you, and the O2 sensor is not covered by the emissions warranty.

Warranty transferred over. Cat. converter was actually damaged & needed replacement. O2 sensor not covered is fine; cat. converter was more expensive to replace anyway.

hampstor
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by t_soarer

I actually spoke with one of their senior service advisors at the time. Just spoke with the service manager & will be sending a copy of the invoice for the job I got done somewhere else. See what happens.

It sounds like you're wanting them to foot the bill, hopefully you get the money back. At the very least, push for a credit to use towards your next service there. Good luck

t_soarer
09-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by hampstor

It sounds like you're wanting them to foot the bill, hopefully you get the money back. At the very least, push for a credit to use towards your next service there. Good luck

Well just seeing if there's anything at all they can do now. If not, then it's not the end of the world. But yeah some kind credit would be nice given the situation.

redline
09-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Warranty transferred over. Cat. converter was actually damaged & needed replacement. O2 sensor not covered is fine; cat. converter was more expensive to replace anyway.

damaged how? as in what was damaged and how did it happen?

t_soarer
09-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by redline

damaged how? as in what was damaged and how did it happen?

Deterioration via corrosion.

t_soarer
09-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Update: dealership is giving a service credit equivalent to the invoice of the cat. converter replacement. Mission accomplished!

Zero102
09-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Deterioration via corrosion.

Wow, great news :thumbsup:

anothers10
09-04-2009, 04:44 PM
good to hear.

signature7
09-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Nice, one more for the good guys.