Tribulus,
Creatine
Protein
Omega 3
Multivitamin

and Working out 3 days a week

bulaian
09-02-2009, 08:28 AM
what type of protein shakes? are there many carbs in it, or is it a high protein, low carb shake? are you mixing with water, or milk?

A790
09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
How tall are you, and what is your body type and bmr? How many calories are you taking in as a surplus? What kind of workout are you doing?

tom_9109
09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
I'd focus on having great workouts and getting proper amounts of protein while ensuring you're in caloric excess. I'd also do some research on how much protein id actually bioavailable in one setting. I know the attitude with building muscle is more than better but half those 50g of protein shakes might be wasted.

BigShow
09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Any way for you to workout more than 3 days/week?

GQBalla
09-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by BigShow
Any way for you to workout more than 3 days/week?

why?

3 times is fine

OP with that diet you should be able to gain 10 pounds easy, depending already on all the questions other beyonder's have inquired

Originally posted by tom_9109
I know the attitude with building muscle is more than better but half those 50g of protein shakes might be wasted.

werd

i would add more food in that though

BigShow
09-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

why?

3 times is fine

OP with that diet you should be able to gain 10 pounds easy, depending already on all the questions other beyonder's have inquired

werd

I'd be doing 5 days for size, plus you want to thrown in cardio workouts to burn off fat from all those calories. OP should checkout the forums at 'iron addicts'.

wintonyk
09-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Gorilla
Just a quick question, I want to gain about 10 pounds of mass. This is my diet

5:45- Multivitamin + Omega3 + Tribulus
6 Egg Whites + whole wheat toast 6:30am
50g protein Shake 8:00am
10:30 Peanut Butter Sandwich with juice
12:00 Sandwich (TUNA) diet pop)
2:30 Peanut Butter Sandwich
5:00 50 G protein Shake
7:00 pm Workout
25grm Protein Shake + Creatine
8pm Chicken Breast with Veggies
10pm ZMA Omega 3

Supplements
ZMA,
Tribulus,
Creatine
Protein
Omega 3
Multivitamin

and Working out 3 days a week

Just so I don't get BS from People right away, I do work as a nutritionist.

As you may of heard once or twice, it takes 3500 calorie deficit to burn 1 lb of fat. So to put it in perspective to gain 1 lb of muscle you need a surplus of ~5000 per week.

If you didn't know what BMR is or RMR its your resting metabolic rate. This means the amount of energy required by your body to supports vital organs, reflects heat production and is affected by height, weight, body type, activity, climate.

To Calculate RMR this is the most popular formula:

RMR = 66.5 + (13.8 x wt __kg) + (5 x height__cm) – (6.76 x age__yr) = ___Cal/day

Then what you could do is figure out that 1 lb/week or every 2 weeks and break it down.

5000 calories/ 7 =~ 715 + RMR will give you how many calories per day.

I prefer using a different formula that takes into account your energy levels to calculate your TEE or total energy expenditure, because you will be burning energy during your workout.

TEE = 662 - 9.53 x age + PA x [15.9 x Wt + 540 x Ht]

Your PA is your physical activity equivalent. Sedentary being 1, low active 1.11, active being 1.25, and what you are likely if you hit the gym 3-5 days/week hard 1.48.

So now that you have taken into account your exercise level and its energy required you can add that 715 kcal to the TEE.

I could go on for days on what is best. This should certainly help. If you have questions PM me or we could set up an appointment (my first consult is always free) and figure things out further.

If you are curious about how many calories you are taking in, the best free tracker online is fitday (http://fitday.com/)

After slimming up for the summer I am starting to do the same thing and pack on about 15 lbs.

wintonyk
09-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
I'd focus on having great workouts and getting proper amounts of protein while ensuring you're in caloric excess. I'd also do some research on how much protein id actually bioavailable in one setting. I know the attitude with building muscle is more than better but half those 50g of protein shakes might be wasted.

You are absolutely right, the bioavailability of protein is a limiting factor. From what I have read, and there is nothing for certain actually. its between 30 and 40 grams per meal. As for where does it go, for many it gets stored as energy (fat) and the rest you literally shit it out. We all know that our caveman ancestors ate tons of meat. Scientists found fossilzed fecal matter containing high amounts of protein. Interesting random fact I came across.

If you are eating 5-6 meals a day then a 25g protein shake would probably just as beneficial and save you some $$$.

j.garner
09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
I dont see much carbs which will help for gaining weight all i see is bread for carbs. We also need your current weight.

Darkane
09-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Bioavailablity of protein doesn't matter on the amount consumed, it matters on the protein synthesis capacity of the individual.

If you have low synthesis (sedentary, low testosterone, high cortisol etc) then the protein will not be used as efficiently.

If you want to grow, eat 2g/lb of body weight for now. Protein is the most efficient calorie - 30% of the cal's are burned in just TEF (Thermic Effect of Food).

OP since you are a nutritionist, this should be easy. Are you insulin resistant? If not, growing can be easy.

Down carbs, they are protein sparing.