PDA

View Full Version : Luongo signs for 12 years in Vancouver

bulaian
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
from tsn.ca
EDIT: tsn updated their story

Roberto Luongo will be between the pipes in Vancouver for the foreseeable future.

On Wednesday, the Canucks announced that they have agreed to terms with their star goalie on a 12-year contract extension. RDS is reporting that the deal is worth $64 million.

The deal will keep Luongo in Vancouver through the 2021-22 season.

"This is a great day for me and my family," said Luongo in a press release. "I love playing in a passionate hockey city like Vancouver and along with my teammates I am committed to doing everything I can to help make this a championship team."

Luongo had originally set a deadline of Sept. 13 to complete the deal, after which time he did not want the mid-season distraction of negotiating a new contract.

The 30-year old Canucks captain was entering the final year of a four-year, $27 million contract. He will make $7.5-million for the 2009-10 season.

"Today is a very exciting day for the Canucks organization," said Canucks president and general manager Mike Gillis. "Roberto Luongo is the leader of our hockey team; he is in the prime of his playing career and has a tremendous desire to make the Canucks a championship team. His leadership, competitiveness and character are what this team will represent for many years to come."

Last season, the all-star goalie went 33-13-7 with nine shutouts and a GAA of 2.34 for the Canucks. He is one of the top candidates to be selected to play for Canada at the upcoming Olympics.

He was drafted by the New York Islanders in the first round (4th overall) of the 1997 draft. He will be entering his 10th NHL season.

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Heard it's one of those "front-loaded" contracts according to this: http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/281577.html

$63M for 12 years!! That's a lot of coin!!
As if Luongo will still be playing past his 40s.

adam c
09-02-2009, 10:16 AM
i hope he crashes and fails like so many goalies have after having great seasons and vancouver is left with a huge bill

SilverGS
09-02-2009, 10:20 AM
He's probably going to "retire" when his salary hits 1 mill in the last 3 years.

thinmyster
09-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Way too long of a contract. I think the nhl has to do something about these loop holes teams use to avoid salary cap problems

remarx-j
09-02-2009, 10:43 AM
that sucks for calgary haha

Kloubek
09-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Wow. That works out to only 5.3 million per year. That is a STEAL of a deal for my team.

It shows Lou really wants to build a contender in Vancouver, and gives us the ability to do so under the cap.

We can now also trade Corey Schneider - who is expected to be a stellar goalie down the road. (Already the best in the AHL)

This puts Vancouver in a position to be a contending team for years to come. I can't say that in my 20 years of being a fan I've ever been so confident in my team's future.

The flaming may begin, should you desire.

Dave P
09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I hope he turns out like Rick Dipietro

ZorroAMG
09-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek

This puts Vancouver in a position to be a contending team for years to come. I can't say that in my 20 years of being a fan I've ever been so confident in my team's future.

Why? Because they signed the goalie they already had when they couldn't win, they are a contender?

:rofl:

He's not the acai berry, you know? Or maybe he IS haha

masoncgy
09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
I hope he turns out like Rick Dipietro

haha... Luongo has already demonstrated that he is not immune to injury... so who knows... ;)

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy

haha... Luongo has already demonstrated that he is not immune to injury... so who knows... ;)

Diarrhea can be a bitch, too! LOL

Nice cap hit for Vancouver... now. What will they think 8-10 years down the road when his career's winding down and his cap hit will still be 5.3M?

D'z Nutz
09-02-2009, 12:25 PM
That's good news for the Canucks. Not so much the Flames.

Originally posted by Quizzes
Diarrhea can be a bitch, too! LOL

Bwahaha!

dharminder
09-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Wow. That works out to only 5.3 million per year. That is a STEAL of a deal for my team.

It shows Lou really wants to build a contender in Vancouver, and gives us the ability to do so under the cap.

We can now also trade Corey Schneider - who is expected to be a stellar goalie down the road. (Already the best in the AHL)

The flaming may begin, should you desire.

I am with you this is a great signing by Gillis, great for the Canucks organization and Canucks fans.

I would say they should hang on to Schneider and bring him up next year show him off as the back off (or the 5-10 games he would play) and possible to raise his stock and get more in return.

I agree that I have never been this happy about the future of the Canucks

dharminder
09-02-2009, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D'z Nutz
[B]That's good news for the Canucks. Not so much the Flames.

Might not be good news but this will make for great hockey for the next couple years.

403ep3
09-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Should be a good season.

I can't wait for flames vs canucks

eglove
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
And in that 12 years the Canucks will probably never get the cup. They can't rely on a sole player.

dezmarez
09-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Why? Because they signed the goalie they already had when they couldn't win, they are a contender?

haha my thoughts exactly!

Kloubek
09-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

1) Lou is the only reason the Canucks were even CLOSE to making the playoffs in previous years. Without him, the Canucks may very well have been on the 1/3 of the league.

2) Most do not dispute he is one of, if not THE best goalie in the league. (Chicago series notwithstanding...)

3) He is locked up at a very reasonable yearly cap hit, which allows us to have better players on our team.

4) We can now trade Schneider and get someone in return who can help our team longer-term.

5) His signing proves that he is buying into the team and its direction. Not only should this rub off on the rest of the team, but don't think the fact he took less money than he could have gotten elsewhere has gone unnoticed.

This is good in all respects.

Sure, the Canucks haven't been very dominant since Lou has arrived. But the team that Mike Gillis is creating right now is by noticably better than the one Nonis was building a couple of years ago, and Lou is a big part of it.

homelessman
09-02-2009, 01:15 PM
^ poor guy :rofl:

R-Audi
09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Part of me wonders if this contract could be investigated like the Hossa one... I dont think anyone would expect any goalie to play until they are 42... Broduer is 37 and showing signs of aging.. and hes not a Butterfly goalie which is much harder on the body.

Logically Gillis and Lou had to think he would retire much before 42.... which puts this contract in the same league as Hossa's. If it passes... its a good signing for the next 4-5 years... after that the only option would be to buy him out. No one will want an again back up worth 5.3 mill.

dezmarez
09-02-2009, 01:28 PM

1) Lou is the only reason the Canucks were even CLOSE to making the playoffs in previous years. Without him, the Canucks may very well have been on the 1/3 of the league.

2) Most do not dispute he is one of, if not THE best goalie in the league. (Chicago series notwithstanding...)

3) He is locked up at a very reasonable yearly cap hit, which allows us to have better players on our team.

4) We can now trade Schneider and get someone in return who can help our team longer-term.

5) His signing proves that he is buying into the team and its direction. Not only should this rub off on the rest of the team, but don't think the fact he took less money than he could have gotten elsewhere has gone unnoticed.

This is good in all respects.

Sure, the Canucks haven't been very dominant since Lou has arrived. But the team that Mike Gillis is creating right now is by noticably better than the one Nonis was building a couple of years ago, and Lou is a big part of it.

haha what do you mean?
they won the northwest division 2 seasons before they got him
and the season before they finished 9th in the west???

how were they in the bottom 3rd of the league before him?

dont even get me started on Schneider
he is overrated...he got LIT up last year and i dont think he even played in 10 games, while luongo was hurt....if he was so amazing you would think vancouver would have called him up rather then bringing in labarbera or going with sanford

haha i will admit luongo is a very good goalie

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Jason Labarbera and Dany Sabourin were both good AHL goalies. You're putting way too much stock in Schneider being able to fetch a good return. I'd say max a 3rd rounder.

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Broduer is 37 and showing signs of aging.. and hes not a Butterfly goalie which is much harder on the body.

I was gonna mention that also. Luongo's knees or groin will be done by the time he's 35.

2002civic
09-02-2009, 01:44 PM
so what makes Vancouver better this year?
overpaid twins?
same goalie lit up when it mattered?
Losing their top D man and gaining a cast of from san jose and two over the hill D

As a Flames fan I am not that concerned but I guess we shall see in a few weeks....

remarx-j
09-02-2009, 02:06 PM
vancouver pretty much has the same team as last year, and they won the NW division. this year, they improved their depth in defense, while locking up their core players for the foreseeable future.
your guys aren't worried? i am a little concerned, especially since we play them like 6 times a year haha. their pp is gonna be fucking deadly

give credit where credit is due, from top to bottom they are a very solid team. don't bash cause they improved their team significantly during the past week or so.

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Their team improved, but they are over the cap. Someone's gotta go.

dezmarez
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by remarx-j
vancouver pretty much has the same team as last year, and they won the NW division. this year, they improved their depth in defense, while locking up their core players for the foreseeable future.
your guys aren't worried? i am a little concerned, especially since we play them like 6 times a year haha. their pp is gonna be fucking deadly

give credit where credit is due, from top to bottom they are a very solid team. don't bash cause they improved their team significantly during the past week or so.

dude what are you talking about...

"pretty much has the same team as last year"

" they improved their team significantly during the past week"

how did they improve their team "significantly" during the past week?
by re-signing a player that they had on for another year?

they lost ohlund??

remarx-j
09-02-2009, 02:40 PM
schneider, ehrhoff and raycroft are pretty good upgrades

dharminder
09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
We can sit here and go back and forth and say the Canucks are the same team as last year, and say there is nothing to worry about.
Now I am a huge Canucks fan, but I have respect and admiration for the flames fans, so correct me if I am wrong. Really other the Jay B the flames have not really addressed any other issue.

Between Jay, Dion, Robin they maybe the best three d men in the entire league. But you need 4 other guys and that could be a little bit of a shakey situation. The other 4 guys on the back end are not that solid and could be a cause for concern.

Taking a look at the flames forwards the entire weight is being put on Iggy & Olli to make up for the two lost forwards Cammy and Bert. Combined between the two they had 126 points.
Rene had 40 points lets say he gets 66 points cause he was injured last year who will make up the other 100 points?

I think and I could be completly wrong but the flames do have something to worry about

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 02:58 PM
schneider, ehrhoff and raycroft are pretty good upgrades

But, who will they have to get rid off to fit these players into the lineup and stay under the cap?

:rofl: @ Raycroft as an upgrade. Dude couldn't even cut it as a backup for the Avalanche last year.

remarx-j
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM

But, who will they have to get rid off to fit these players into the lineup and stay under the cap?

:rofl: @ Raycroft as an upgrade. Dude couldn't even cut it as a backup for the Avalanche last year.

to be fair, he's not that old, and still has the capability to win 15-20 games for the cancuks.

and to the guy who was talking about how we only got jaybo, we also got dawes and sjostrom who are good depth players for the 3rd and 4th line. we just need to hope that boyd and moss can consistently play the 2nd line

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 03:15 PM
to be fair, he's not that old, and still has the capability to win 15-20 games for the cancuks.

:eek: They expect Luongo to win them around 40 games!
So, you're saying the Canucks can get around 55-60 wins?! :eek:

Give them the cup already!

bmeier
09-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by dharminder
We can sit here and go back and forth and say the Canucks are the same team as last year, and say there is nothing to worry about.
Now I am a huge Canucks fan, but I have respect and admiration for the flames fans, so correct me if I am wrong. Really other the Jay B the flames have not really addressed any other issue.

Between Jay, Dion, Robin they maybe the best three d men in the entire league. But you need 4 other guys and that could be a little bit of a shakey situation. The other 4 guys on the back end are not that solid and could be a cause for concern.

Taking a look at the flames forwards the entire weight is being put on Iggy & Olli to make up for the two lost forwards Cammy and Bert. Combined between the two they had 126 points.
Rene had 40 points lets say he gets 66 points cause he was injured last year who will make up the other 100 points?

I think and I could be completly wrong but the flames do have something to worry about

do you realize we only got Jokinen at the trade deadline??? So basically we replaced cammaleri with jokinen and bert with Dawes. We also added some young depth players. I dont think the flames will be that far off from last years scoring and we have a younger faster team.

remarx-j
09-02-2009, 03:21 PM

:eek: They expect Luongo to win them around 40 games!
So, you're saying the Canucks can get around 55-60 wins?! :eek:

Give them the cup already!

obviously not, what i meant to say was rest luongo a little more if raycroft is playing well or near the end of the season why playoff's are coming around.

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Cory Sarich says hello.
He's a top 4 d-man for sure.

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 03:26 PM

obviously not, what i meant to say was rest luongo a little more if raycroft is playing well or near the end of the season why playoff's are coming around.

Luongo's not getting paid to play only 50 games.

So, if Raycroft plays maximum 30 games and gets 15-20 wins, he's pretty much All-Star material.

remarx-j
09-02-2009, 03:37 PM
nabakov was 41-12 this, except he was left off of the all star team.
i know where your coming from, all i'm saying is that raycroft is a competent back up, and vancouver isn't as shitty as all of you guys are making them out to be.

bulaian
09-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't think vancouver is shitty but i don't think raycroft is that good of a backup. He hasn't really done much outside of his rookie season.

like quizzes said above, cory sarich is a top 4 d man and pardy played pretty well for us last year after being called up

dezmarez
09-02-2009, 04:00 PM

haha dude you have no idea what your talking about...
you...as a canuck fan should appreciate how important role players are... like kesler and burrows
dont even try to say were going to have issues up front...

and what other four guys??
cory sarich?
giordano?

there are our top 5 d...
you think any of our top 4 cant handle 25+ minutes a game...

again another canuck fan having no idea whats he's talking about

Canucks3322
09-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Bla bla blaaaaaaa.....same talk every year, what matters is what happens in the season lol...can't wait till OCTOBER 1!!

npham
09-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
you...as a canuck fan should appreciate how important role players are... like kesler and burrows

there are our top 5 d...

Burrows spent no time on the PP, and he still scored 28 goals. He was definitely benefiting from being with the Sedins, but he still had to put the puck in the net.

Kesler was a Selke finalist. Do you know many other Selke finalists being paid $1.75 Million? He's only 25 as well, entering his prime.

Both players played on the 3rd line for a good portion of the season, over 30 games I bet before AV blew up the lines and then were put into a scoring role. A reasonable person would think that the increased minutes that they will sustain over the course of the season on the first and second line will translate into similar point totals.

The Flames' D are scary good on paper, but they lack the depth that Vancouver has. Both Phaneuf and JBo are top pairing defencemen, but it's always been about the chemistry. If you can't admit Dion was god-awful last season, then you are clearly blind. He played fine offensively, but defensively he was running around with his head cut off. Also, if you want your D playing 25+ per game, you are going run the risk of injuries yet again. If Dion wasn't logging all those minutes towards the end of the 08-09 season, maybe he wouldn't have played another post-season injured.

But the Canucks have solid depth, and now they've added Ehrhoff, Schnieder and Lukowich. They now have a puck moving defencemen which we needed, and while Schnieder is old as fuck, he still scored 30+ points on some shaky teams last season! A bet a lot of teams would love to have a guy like Lukowich as their press-box bitch. He's a top 6 on most teams as well. The Canucks are only 2 million over right now, and while they could trade some pieces away, there is always the AHL for some and using someone with an entry-level contract, ie Cody Hodgson instead of Kyle Wellwood.

As for the Flames scoring goals, this will be the hot topic this season. But hopefully you can see that losing your top goal scorer from last season will hurt you. But the Flames will let in fewer goals, so this could be a wash in the end.

hks
09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
dion and jay.bo both were in the top 10 average ice time for the past three seasons while only missing a combined total of 3 games (all from dion). there really hasn't been an injury problem for dion until this year.
in fact, jay.bo hasn't missed a game since the 2003/2004 season. :poosie:

npham
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
He may have missed only a handful of games, more than 3 I might add(though not many more though), but he's played hurt plenty of times and it has shown. In his rookie year he was injured as the playoffs started, as well as this past post season. Both times he was not very effective. What's the point of having a player that is a major cog injured when winning games matter the most. Having Phaneuf at 100 percent before going into the playoffs is a luxury the Flames have not had, by limiting his minutes(22 minutes or so) you are increasing the chances of a deeper run.

Quizzes
09-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by npham
Burrows spent no time on the PP, and he still scored 28 goals. He was definitely benefiting from being with the Sedins, but he still had to put the puck in the net.

Kesler was a Selke finalist. Do you know many other Selke finalists being paid $1.75 Million? He's only 25 as well, entering his prime.

Burrows and Kesler weren't slated for a top-6 role and look what happens when given the chance. I think the potential for some of the Flames' bottom-6 may play a bigger offensive role this season.

Originally posted by nphan
...The Canucks are only 2 million over right now, and while they could trade some pieces away, there is always the AHL for some and using someone with an entry-level contract, ie Cody Hodgson instead of Kyle Wellwood.

Bad idea... Hodgson's cap hit could be bigger than Wellwood's if he plays more than 10 games. Also, Mathieu Schneider has a 1.2M bonus waiting to kick in (probably a minimum games played bonus) which can be added to the cap hit. Finally, it'd be hard to trade Mitchell or Salo (both at 3.5M) as they both have the infamous No Trade/Movement Clause.

dezmarez
09-02-2009, 10:57 PM
oh mannnnnnnnn

i love it!!

to say the flames have no depth on D is just plain retarded....

we are stacked with prospects on the back end...

and again our top 5 are superior to anything else in the league...

but i guess only time will tell!!

i just dont agree that vancouver got "significantly better" this off-season

hks
09-02-2009, 11:44 PM
philly, boston, chicago and detroit all arguably have equal or better defense than us. i sure as hell wouldn't rate us as the best dcorp in the league.

max_boost
09-03-2009, 12:33 AM
So Vancouver took care of some business by signing their Captain. Other than that, can't say they have improved unless their players all have career years.

The Flames lost some offence, gained some defence, new coaching staff with actual structure and accountability. I like my team more.

No matter what, still have to play the games. Can't wait. Hockey gets me through the winter hehe

Majestic12
09-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by hks
philly, boston, chicago and detroit all arguably have equal or better defense than us. i sure as hell wouldn't rate us as the best dcorp in the league.

At least it's arguable now, rather than us clearly being in a lower tier in terms of defensive rankings.

Team_Mclaren
09-03-2009, 02:12 AM
So Luongo will be the next Canada Olympic team goalie that'll never win a cup (hi cujo)... how sad.. :rofl:

Shogged
09-03-2009, 02:41 AM
man i can't wait for october 1st! fuck the flames oilers rivalry, all I care about is beating the nucks!

dharminder
09-03-2009, 07:48 AM

and what other four guys??
cory sarich?
giordano?

there are our top 5 d...

again another canuck fan having no idea whats he's talking about

I guess I dont know what I am talking about, thanks for pointing that out for me.
Well just wait and see how the season unfolds

Quizzes
09-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
The Flames lost some offence, gained some defence, new coaching staff with actual structure and accountability. I like my team more.

:werd: Their biggest off-season acquisition was Brent Sutter by far.

masoncgy
09-03-2009, 08:43 AM
i just dont agree that vancouver got "significantly better" this off-season

haha... Canucks fans say that every year. Just like 'it's our year'... 'Canada's Team'... and what other stupid catch phrase they can come up with.

I've been dealing with this crap since the 80s... it never changes. It's one of those things you can expect, like the Canucks crapping the bed on a consistent basis.

:thumbsup:

2002civic
09-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by hks

I disagree...three possible team canada olympic players on our defense...

Detroit is good but aging, Philly is comparable, Boston Has Chara and then who else, Chicago has a great top three but I like our back end possibilities better. I may be biased though ;)

alloroc
09-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 2002civic

I disagree...three possible team canada olympic players on our defense...

Detroit is good but aging, Philly is comparable, Boston Has Chara and then who else, Chicago has a great top three but I like our back end possibilities better. I may be biased though ;)

Regher and JB will be the top defensive pairing in the league.
Phaneuf won't have to sacrifice his body as much this year with the new coaching style as will Sarich and they will likely be pairing up a lot - and will do very well indeed.
Giordano is going to have a breakout year I expect he is going to surprise a few teams. Not ot mention Adam Pardy who proved last year he can play as a solid third liner. A pickup everyone is forgetting is Staffan Kronwall, he is solid on the blue line and has some offensive benifit as well, may see time on the PP.

As for faces new to the NHL we all already know Seabrook sho has amazing hockey sense and can already make decisions at 'big game speed' and if you think Phanuef is big and strong, wait until Keith Aulie fills out, this kid is a monster :)

bulaian
09-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by alloroc

Phaneuf won't have to sacrifice his body as much this year with the new coaching style as will Sarich and they will likely be pairing up a lot - and will do very well indeed.
Giordano is going to have a breakout year I expect he is going to surprise a few teams. Not ot mention Adam Pardy who proved last year he can play as a solid third liner. A pickup everyone is forgetting is Staffan Kronwall, he is solid on the blue line and has some offensive benifit as well, may see time on the PP.

As for faces new to the NHL we all already know Seabrook sho has amazing hockey sense and can already make decisions at 'big game speed' and if you think Phanuef is big and strong, wait until Keith Aulie fills out, this kid is a monster :)

I'm not too optimistic about Staffan Kronwall... i'm expecting big things from Anton Stralman though. Either this year or next, depending on what he can make out of this training camp

remarx-j
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by alloroc

you are way too optimistic dude. for one, you can't just throw good players together and expect them to play well. sarich was paired with dion a few times during last season, and it didn't really work out too well lol.
even if jay and reggie are paired up, they most definitely will not be the top pairing in the league, top 5 is more reasonable.

btw, outside of our top 4, we are pretty weak. a gio-pardy pairing makes me a little uneasy :confused:

89s1
09-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure i'm fully on board with the whole Ted Nolan train of thought going on in van-city, lets hope it doesn't bite them in the ass too bad.

:goflames:

TorqueDog
09-03-2009, 01:24 PM
btw, outside of our top 4, we are pretty weak. a gio-pardy pairing makes me a little uneasy :confused: Gio-Pardy will do well under a defensive-minded coach like Sutter.

2002civic
09-03-2009, 01:35 PM
gio/pardy wont even be paired together IMO, it hink they flames will have a solid first pairing and two strong second/third pairings that get similar ice time with sarich's pairing getting the least

Quizzes
09-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Both Sarich and Phaneuf play strictly on the right side, so that combo might not work so well. Regehr is mainly on the left, so he can go with either Sarich or Phaneuf. Bouwmeester is more versatile and can play both sides. The Sarich-Pardy combo wasn't bad last year... they'll probably stick with that and get bottom minutes.

Sucks to be Gio as he may have some tough competition from Pelech, Stralman and Kronwall. IMO

rumeo
09-03-2009, 05:46 PM
I really like Adam Pardy and I'm hoping to see some big things out of him this year.

Both the Canucks and Flames are to be feared this year...

Kipper is going to get less ice time, meaning he's gonna play like a phenom...the same with Bobby Lou...

Both our D lines are pretty solid and are going to be hard to break through...with JayBo and Schneider added to their respective teams, I can see a ton of PP goals going through..

The Forward lines on both sides are going to be putting a ton of pucks in the net. The Sedins get better year after year, they showed last play offs that they won't choke. If Jokinen plays like how he should I can see Calgary's top line being one of the best in the league...

And we all know Borque is going to rip through everyone...

This is the season to watch....

Team_Mclaren
09-03-2009, 05:50 PM
^^ you lost me at comparaing Jaybo to Schneider

rumeo
09-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I was just comparing both their abilities at dictating the PP

DelSoln
09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Even in his old age Schneider is still a great qb on the PP. Hell over his entire career over 50% of his points came from the PP. I shall miss him.

npham
09-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
It's one of those things you can expect, like the Canucks crapping the bed on a consistent basis.

:thumbsup:

After the season the Flames just had, and not making it past the first round since "the run," you can't really say that about the Canucks and NOT think the same about the Flames. Last year everyone, myself included, thought that the Flames were better on paper. Hell, the last few years the Flames had been better on paper and it's proven time and time again that being good on paper, like the Flames, is worthless.

Crapping the bed? What about the streak of games at the end of the season for the Flames. From the 21 games starting at the 1st of March in the 08-09 season, the Flames could not play .500 hockey, losing 12 of the 21 and letting the Canucks close the gap and eventually win the NW. The Flames were a double digit ahead of the Canucks, and they crapped the bed...

npham
09-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
^^ you lost me at comparaing Jaybo to Schneider

You are clueless sir. Comparing Bouwmeester's 9 PP goals and Schneider's 6 PP goals isn't that tough to figure out. I'd easily take Bouwmeester over Schneider as well, but he was talking about PP goals and not their overall capabilities.

Canucks3322
09-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
I really like Adam Pardy and I'm hoping to see some big things out of him this year.

Both the Canucks and Flames are to be feared this year...

Kipper is going to get less ice time, meaning he's gonna play like a phenom...the same with Bobby Lou...

Both our D lines are pretty solid and are going to be hard to break through...with JayBo and Schneider added to their respective teams, I can see a ton of PP goals going through..

The Forward lines on both sides are going to be putting a ton of pucks in the net. The Sedins get better year after year, they showed last play offs that they won't choke. If Jokinen plays like how he should I can see Calgary's top line being one of the best in the league...

And we all know Borque is going to rip through everyone...

This is the season to watch....

Agreed on Rene Bourque, he and Cammalleri were the 2 Flames I liked.

2002civic
09-06-2009, 09:40 AM

After the season the Flames just had, and not making it past the first round since "the run," you can't really say that about the Canucks and NOT think the same about the Flames. Last year everyone, myself included, thought that the Flames were better on paper. Hell, the last few years the Flames had been better on paper and it's proven time and time again that being good on paper, like the Flames, is worthless.

Crapping the bed? What about the streak of games at the end of the season for the Flames. From the 21 games starting at the 1st of March in the 08-09 season, the Flames could not play .500 hockey, losing 12 of the 21 and letting the Canucks close the gap and eventually win the NW. The Flames were a double digit ahead of the Canucks, and they crapped the bed...

not to make excuses...but how would vancouver or any team for that matter have done with their top two Dmen injured and missing a few top forwards?

npham
09-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Fair enough, but we went without Luongo for 30 games and got destroyed during those games as well. Also, poor cap management was probably a huge part of the terrible losing streak towards the end of the regular season. Dressing 15 guys or whatever is just unacceptable. 1 game I could understand, but wasn't it around 6? Maybe more, but definitely not much less than 6.

2002civic
09-07-2009, 11:31 AM
^^you obviously don't understand what happened then...because of the timing of the injuries it looked like poor cap management, but could anyone predict losing that many players in the last 8 games of the year? half the teams in the league would have had the same issues...and speaking of cap mismanagement isn't Vancouver over the cap currently? ;)

npham
09-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Well shouldn't a GM account for some injuries? Why does everyone think Darryl is the best GM, and he does nothing wrong? The Canucks are one of the most injured teams typically. Guys like Salo, Demitra, Rypien, etc are all known to suffer from the injury bug and we seem to be able to dress a full roster. Bad luck on the Flames part, but Sutter knew he was flirting with danger when he brought in Ollie. Putting himself so close to the cap gave him no room for error for injuries. He gambled and it didn't work out in the long term. Ollie did light it up for first 10 games or so.

Also, being over the cap means nothing right now as it doesn't affect the Canucks in the least bit. There are still moves to make after training camp, and also there's Sundin potentially signing. He won't be offered anything after training camp, it's all or nothing this year. All these factors are why the Canucks are over the cap right now. They want to wait and see who will make the team. Guys like Lukowich, Rome and Nychloat can all be waived if need be. Wouldn't you put the Flames over the cap(before the season even starts) for a top 4 defencemen in Ehrhoff and a top 6 guy in Lukowich for basically garbage? I don't think either prospect will play in the NHL for a long period of time, if ever.

Nissanaddict
09-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Well shouldn't a GM account for some injuries? Why does everyone think Darryl is the best GM, and he does nothing wrong? The Canucks are one of the most injured teams typically. Guys like Salo, Demitra, Rypien, etc are all known to suffer from the injury bug and we seem to be able to dress a full roster. Bad luck on the Flames part, but Sutter knew he was flirting with danger when he brought in Ollie. Putting himself so close to the cap gave him no room for error for injuries. He gambled and it didn't work out in the long term. Ollie did light it up for first 10 games or so.

In the last bunch of games, the league does not offer long term injury reserve cap relief. Many teams would have been in the same situation, including Detroit, Pittsburgh, and other teams who's GMs don't get criticised for being that close. It was simply bad luck.

Also, being over the cap means nothing right now as it doesn't affect the Canucks in the least bit. There are still moves to make after training camp, and also there's Sundin potentially signing. He won't be offered anything after training camp, it's all or nothing this year. All these factors are why the Canucks are over the cap right now. They want to wait and see who will make the team. Guys like Lukowich, Rome and Nychloat can all be waived if need be. Wouldn't you put the Flames over the cap(before the season even starts) for a top 4 defencemen in Ehrhoff and a top 6 guy in Lukowich for basically garbage? I don't think either prospect will play in the NHL for a long period of time, if ever.

Being over the cap is an issue. It's by 2 million bucks. That's a considerable gap. There will have to be moves made. Demitra on LTIR will likely not cut it on its own, and even if it does, it'd still be very close. There is no potential Sundin signing, as there is no such money available on that team. None...and how does a potential Sundin signing put the Canucks over the cap? Last year, they were 10 million UNDER the cap. That's why Sundin was offered 10 million.

Out of the defensemen you listed, only lukovich counts against the cap, and his salary doesn't cover how far over the cap the Canucks are. All this said, that's with Cody Hodgson on the roster. Imagine if he had to be sent back to the OHL for cap reasons. That would look BAD.

As far as the Ehrhoff+Lukovich trade, that's a good trade for sure, gotta admit. Gotta address that cap though.

npham
09-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
Being over the cap is an issue. It's by 2 million bucks. That's a considerable gap. There will have to be moves made. Demitra on LTIR will likely not cut it on its own, and even if it does, it'd still be very close. There is no potential Sundin signing, as there is no such money available on that team. None...and how does a potential Sundin signing put the Canucks over the cap? Last year, they were 10 million UNDER the cap. That's why Sundin was offered 10 million.

IF Sundin were to come back for another season, he'd be coming back at a significantly reduced price to offset the redonkulous salary+bonus(5 million each) he received last year to play half the year. Something along the lines of 2-3 million for this year, and then it would average out to be like 6 per year, which is not THAT bad. Though it took him to the Chicago series to start playing like a PPG player again.

There is a lot that could be done to get under the cap. Wellwood, Lukowich, Rome and Nycholat could be traded or waived. Combined with Demitra on the LTIR, we could get close. Again, Mike Gillis is waiting to see how camp and the Sundin saga II unfolds before he makes a move. Also, Hodgson may not make the team based on skill as well. There is a lot of pivots on the team already, and there is also Grabner, Shirokov, Wellwood etc fighting for those few un-determined spots. Bobby Ryan was not on the Ducks line-up to start the season, but he still turned out ok. Cody is only 19, there's plenty of time for him to become an impact NHLer.

In an ideal situation, MG would trade Demitra, plus Raymond, Grabner, etc for a young top 6 player. But that's asking quite a bit.

Nissanaddict
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM

IF Sundin were to come back for another season, he'd be coming back at a significantly reduced price to offset the redonkulous salary+bonus(5 million each) he received last year to play half the year. Something along the lines of 2-3 million for this year, and then it would average out to be like 6 per year, which is not THAT bad. Though it took him to the Chicago series to start playing like a PPG player again.

What reason would Sundin have to play hockey for a reduced salary than he's used to? The guy just got married, so I doubt playing for the Vancouver Canucks is on top of his priority list. There has been 0 said about it, and Sundin's one to be an annoying wanker about it, rather than sitting quietly, and signing a contract when the public isn't paying attention.

There is a lot that could be done to get under the cap. Wellwood, Lukowich, Rome and Nycholat could be traded or waived. Combined with Demitra on the LTIR, we could get close. Again, Mike Gillis is waiting to see how camp and the Sundin saga II unfolds before he makes a move. Also, Hodgson may not make the team based on skill as well. There is a lot of pivots on the team already, and there is also Grabner, Shirokov, Wellwood etc fighting for those few un-determined spots. Bobby Ryan was not on the Ducks line-up to start the season, but he still turned out ok. Cody is only 19, there's plenty of time for him to become an impact NHLer.

In an ideal situation, MG would trade Demitra, plus Raymond, Grabner, etc for a young top 6 player. But that's asking quite a bit.
Well right now, the Canucks have 13 forwards if you have Hodgson on the team. If you go and trade 3 of your forwards for one forward (which really sounds absurd) and sign Sundin, you've got 12, and still have no cap room.

Moving a defenseman would help the cap situation, but unless it's O'Brien or Lukovich (for which you'll get much crappier value than the other 6...probably a long-shot prospect or a 4th rounder)...unless it's one of those, then your defense is similar to last year, if not worse. The 6 solid guys are the idea behind the strength.

The situation isn't as nice as it sounds.

npham
09-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict

What reason would Sundin have to play hockey for a reduced salary than he's used to? The guy just got married, so I doubt playing for the Vancouver Canucks is on top of his priority list. There has been 0 said about it, and Sundin's one to be an annoying wanker about it, rather than sitting quietly, and signing a contract when the public isn't paying attention.

Canucks perhaps talking with Sundin (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/09/10/canucks_sundin/)

While this is Sportsnet, I would still consider this probably just speculation. But you are allowed to be over the cap, I think upwards of 63 million before the season actually starts. We are cap compliant for now, but would definitely be moving roster players for picks. Demitra would be probably the first player to leave, 4 million per year on his final year could be dealt to PHX or NYI for a pick, any pick would do. If the rumor of 2 million per year was true, then we'd be close. Waiving Lukowich and O'Brian and taking Rome as our 7th defencemen.

Sundin was a PPG in the playoffs, it just took him forever to get started, so I think it's worth the risk. Plus him to mentor Hodgson and Kesler some more would be awesome. Man I can't wait for the season to start!