PDA

View Full Version : Highway Riding...

Super_Geo
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
I was thinking of going out to Canmore with a couple of buddies, riding out to Banff on road bikes, grabbing some brunch and then riding back to Canmore as a precursor to a heavy nigh of drinking and taking down cougars at The Drake...

Which got me thinking... the highway between Banff/Canmore probably isn't the best road to ride on (lots of cars, might have some gravel). Has anyone ridden it before? What did you think?

Also, what are some highway routes that you guys would recommend? Looking for something in the 40-100km range.

scary_perry
09-02-2009, 03:54 PM
What quadrant of the city are you in?

swak
09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Ive ridden highway 1 out to Canmore, its really not that bad, its busy, yes, but people are pretty curtious.
In my experiences its the dump trucks, and big F430s that you gotta keep an eye on, the 18 wheelers switched lanes to pass me, or gave me a little extra room every time.

Highway 1A i think goes to Canmore, but i dont think its worth it.

ExtraSlow
09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Highway 1A has no shoulder at all, totally unsafe for cycling.

Super_Geo
09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I think the plan would be to drive to Canmore and ride to Banff and back... we have a couple of guys who are just got bikes within the last week or two so I don't know if a 200km ride is in the cards yet...

Plus, riding in the mountains > riding in the prairies :bigpimp:

swak
09-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Highway 1A has no shoulder at all, totally unsafe for cycling.

On that note Highway 1 has a huge shoulder, for cycling standards.
If your buds havent done a long ride before though, id say drive out.

98type_r
09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Another option is the Lake Louise parkway just past Banff, may be less traffic depending on the day.

J NRG
09-03-2009, 10:44 PM

chris
09-07-2009, 03:03 PM
banff/lake louise is a way better road ride if that's what you want to do, you can grab a coffee at laggans or something. You take the 1A, it's a really cool ride about 110 k round trip if i remember correctly.

If you want to go canmore to banff, there's the goat creek trail which is an 18 k xcountry ride that spits you out at the banff springs, it takes less than an hour one way.