PDA

View Full Version : Astroturf

JC522
09-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Since I didn't put grass on the side of my house because no sunlight ever hits it anyways and would have been a waste of money, I was wondering about astroturf. one of my friend's neighbours has astroturf on his whole lawn but I was just interested in the sides. Is there a noticeable difference when it's beside real grass?

sexualbanana
09-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Go with Field Turf like the pros. :D

Ben
09-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Do rocks with stepping stones.

4lti
09-03-2009, 05:38 AM
My friends house has astro turf and its really noticeable beside real grass because its not as dark in color and alot shorter.

tobypaddock
09-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
Go with Field Turf like the pros. :D
+1

89coupe
09-08-2009, 11:44 AM
There are some atrificial lawns that look absolutely amazing! You would have to get right up to it to notice if it was real or not. Even walking on it feels real.

I'm not sure of how many companies do it here in Calgary but its very common in the southern states.

I had a company called Synthetic Turf International send me up a bunch of samples and its pretty cool stuff.

Here is the link if are interested.

http://www.synthetic-turf.com/prodSoftLawn.asp

Photo Gallery.
http://www.synthetic-turf.com/photoGallery.asp?Cat=Lawns_Landscapes&SubCat=Residential

dezinr
09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
http://rymargrass.ca/

These guys are great. Good service and great results!

Ichigo
09-08-2009, 12:58 PM
So do you have to vacuum these things to keep them looking minty?

dr_jared88
09-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Anybody have a rough idea of how much it costs a sq foot to get this installed? I'd love to never have to take care of my front lawn again haha

89coupe
09-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
Anybody have a rough idea of how much it costs a sq foot to get this installed? I'd love to never have to take care of my front lawn again haha

Bottom right of page.

http://rymargrass.ca/lawns.aspx

whiskas
09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
How do these cope with severe freezing temperatures and huge snow dumps? It would be awesome to have a fresh green lawn in the middle of winter.

dezinr
09-08-2009, 03:22 PM
A colleague of mine has putting greens in his backyard and the winters have no effect on it.

revelations
09-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Damn this stuff would save huge coin at our condo. Something to bring to the next condo mtg!

Graham_A_M
09-12-2009, 01:01 PM
If anybody is interested in Synthetic turf, let me know.

:)

AudiPWR
09-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Contact Synlawn in Calgary.
They do great work, I cannot tell the difference between the real grass next to the fake in some cases.

Graham_A_M
09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
^ I can get the same stuff, but for much much less price (no overhead) so like i say, PM me. I'll do a beyond.ca discount. :) I get it from the same factory that supplies Synturf.

jsn
09-25-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by dezinr
A colleague of mine has putting greens in his backyard and the winters have no effect on it.

Putting greens generally have shorter grass than a normal lawn. Would snowfall permanently bend the astroturf? Also, wouldn't it look strange in the winter when you're the only house on the block with a green lawn? Seems sort of out of place:dunno:

bmeier
09-25-2009, 02:44 PM
also you have to freaking vacuum this crap...

Graham_A_M
09-25-2009, 10:44 PM
^If you have dead leaves or whatever on it, just go over with a regular mower. It wont cut the synthetic grass (given the deck is set to the proper height) and it'll suck all that stuff up for you. Yes its that simple

Originally posted by jsn

Putting greens generally have shorter grass than a normal lawn. Would snowfall permanently bend the astroturf? Also, wouldn't it look strange in the winter when you're the only house on the block with a green lawn? Seems sort of out of place:dunno:

no it doesn't bend it. Yes it may look a bit out of place for the brief period in spring before the grass starts to grow, and the odd chinook :dunno: but all in all, who cares?
having a well-manicured lawn throughout the mid-spring to mid-fall outweighs that to me at least.

Yes putting greens grass is normally cut to a height of .125 to .150 of an inch. Thats ~1/8" height. You need special reel mowers to cut to that short height.
I forget the actual names of that type of grass as there are several, but I think its called Kentucky bent grass.
I used to work for two seasons in the maintenance department of a golf course: and no its **extremely** high maintenance. Its highly prone to disease(s) fungi and rott etc etc. Proper drainage, aeration and countless other factors are required to having healthy greens. Tarping them over the winter also adds significantly to their health in the very early spring. Unless you're willing to engage in ALL that hassle, forget it. Seriously

I can go on and on and on, but I wont. Unless you want a gloriously high maintenance lawn that *needs* to be constantly irrigated and cut at least twice a week, do not opt to use that breed of grass.

Tony2
10-03-2009, 07:14 PM
You guys really don't know what you are talking about on the synthetic turf! I have it in my backyard due to having 2 large dogs and them killing the real stuff. Anyhow they use artificial turf for all types of applications from putting greens, to dug runs, to down south where there are water restrictions.

Anyhow you DO NOT vacuum synthetic turf! The turf is laid on a fine gravel base, then installed, once installed there is a layer of sand that is laid over the turf and “broomed In” which keeps the blades standing up.

Then in the spring, or more often if you like you broom the grass (Basically sweep) and it stands all the grass blades back up and gets rid if debris.

I bought and had mine installed from http://www.perfectturfgrass.com/products.cfm

Tony2