PDA

View Full Version : Businesses that will pay cash for cars

Q-TIP
09-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I am selling a car and I kinda need it gone relatively quickly, you can check in the marketplace for it.

My question is, are there any places in calgary that will pay cash for cars and then sell them? If I don't necessarily want to trade in the car will a dealer pay cash for it on the expectation that I buy a new vehicle from them?

2EFNFAST
09-02-2009, 10:19 PM
You mean you want a dealership to sell it on consignment?

Or you just want the dealership to pay you for it and take it off your hands (in which case they're goign to rape you in the price since you arn't buying anything from them.....)

topazdude
09-02-2009, 11:33 PM
i heard on the radio today that honda west buys cars

J NRG
09-02-2009, 11:43 PM

Q-TIP
09-03-2009, 08:08 AM
It's a 2004 RX-8. And I will be buying a new truck from the stealership that buys my car.

Pollywog
09-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Not that it will change your decision, but why have you decided to get rid of the rx?

bourge73
09-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Dont expect to see much $ for it......they are going to bend you right over, I guess unless you buy a Mazda truck?

Q-TIP
09-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Not that it will change your decision, but why have you decided to get rid of the rx?

I need a truck pronto and Dodge has some stellar deals on right now.

topmade
09-03-2009, 08:21 AM
You will get less value back if you sell your car to a dealer vs trade it in because with the trade in you can negotiate a bit more usually.

Q-TIP
09-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah, but I need the cash more than I need lower payments.

That being said I would FAR prefer to sell privately

Weapon_R
09-03-2009, 08:37 AM
If you are buying from the dealer, that dealer should take your car on trade in. They will probably give you book value, or worse, but they will take your car.

You can also call the old T&T Honda. I can't remember the name of the dealership but they have a sign that says they'll pay cash on the spot for your vehicle. I doubt they'd give you as much as the Dodge dealer, especially if they are trying to offload the trucks you are looking at.

2EFNFAST
09-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
If you are buying from the dealer, that dealer should take your car on trade in. They will probably give you book value, or worse, but they will take your car.

You can also call the old T&T Honda. I can't remember the name of the dealership but they have a sign that says they'll pay cash on the spot for your vehicle. I doubt they'd give you as much as the Dodge dealer, especially if they are trying to offload the trucks you are looking at.

Is TT Honda Honda West? I keep hearing ads on the radio how they'll pay cash for your old vehicles.

inline6turbo
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
It really depends on how much you owe on it still.

If you owe 24,000 but the car is only worth 18,000 you're going to have to pay them the extra 6,000 on top of the price of the new vehicle plus tax on it all so they can pay out your loan.

I know Envision Auto has a lot of nice trucks for sale and would probably take it on trade, and can finance you the new truck. Just an option.

Weapon_R
09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Is TT Honda Honda West? I keep hearing ads on the radio how they'll pay cash for your old vehicles.

No. It's the old T&T location that I'm talking about. It used to be contemporary motorsports, but now I don't know what it's called. It's on 32nd Ave NE.

canuckcarguy
09-03-2009, 12:59 PM
If you trade it in, at least you get a break on the GST for the trade portion (ie, if you get $10K, you save $500 GST).

If you go to a "cash for cars" outfit, expect to get hit pretty low. I'm guessing you'll get about $9-$12K for it.

canuckcarguy
09-03-2009, 01:00 PM
And also, if you don't owe much or any money against it, the dealer where you trade it in can easily give you cash back, as long as you qualify for the new financing. How much is owing on it?

GOnSHO
09-03-2009, 01:08 PM
i wanted to trade my car in for a truck at Dodge.. they only wanted to give me 6,000 for my car, and i still owe 16,000...

and my car is in IMMACULATE condition..

trade-ins are such crap

Civ2NR
09-03-2009, 01:27 PM
I just sold a vehicle privately with the intention of buying another. I was offered $13,000 for a trade in at the dealer, decided to try to sell privately first and sold it for $19,000 in less than 24hrs. Most people expect to sell their vehicle privately at the max price point of whatever comparables are on the market because their car is "mint", these are the ones that stay on the market for long periods of time. I needed to sell relatively fast so I priced it roughly 10% below what others were selling for. If you price your rx properly for the market it will sell and you will still do better than a trade-in.

03ozwhip
09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
i dunno. i sold my 03 Lancer in 05 or 06 back to them for a little more than i paid for it, just to offload it. but there was an easy 10k in mods+labor on that car, sooo....youre gonna get raped no matter how you look at it. the only thing you have going for you, is that its an import, not domestic so youll likely get a little more

Q-TIP
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I owe nothing on the car, and I realize that most RX-8's are "mint" as this is one particular type of car that tends to have loving owners.

I would rather sell privately, but I will see what Dodge will do for me (hell, they got me $4000 for a 1998 ford exploder already...)

QuasarCav
09-03-2009, 02:55 PM
I would be willing to buy the car off you for a decent price. Why don't you see what you would be offered by the car lots and let me know.

Q-TIP
09-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Well, still need to sell the car so I sent you a PM.