PDA

View Full Version : Road Bike Component Upgrades

Super_Geo
09-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey so I've put on probably around 400-500km on my bike so far and I love it... I think I've finally hit the point where I'm really comfortable on the bike and being in traffic.

I'm looking to do some upgrading now, but only for functionality, not weight savings... I figure paying hundreds to shave half a pound on a bike is pretty ridiculous when I probably have around 10-15lbs that I should drop to get into optimal shape. Let me know what you think of these upgrades:

BRAKES
Current: FSA Gossamer
Proposed: 105 calipers/pads
I can get a set of lightly used 105 calipers/pads off of a co-worker for $50. I wouldn't mind getting an Ultegra brakeset off of eBay for $100-120 if it stops a lot better than the 105s, but if the only difference is weight then I would definitely go with the 105s. I figure once I wear down the 105 pads I can replace them with some Dura Ace pads. I test rode a buddy's bike with Ultegra brakes and it stops one hell of a lot harder than my FSA Gossamers...

PEDALS
Current: Normal pedals that I got for free when I got the bike.
Proposed: Ultegra 6620s
They go on eBay for around $120-150 delivered. I've been told numerous times that clip-in pedals should be the first thing I get with a bike, but have been pretty lazy on this front so far. Other than looks, are there any appreciable difference between these and the $50 cheap-o clip-ins? Also, is there another brand of clip-in pedals that I should be looking at?

FRONT DERAILER
Current: 105s
Proposed: Ultegras
They're pretty cheap on eBay... like $40-60 delivered. Would it be worth it? Or would it just save a couple of grams? I don't use the front derailer much... I don't think I'm going to bother with this one unless you guys think it'd make a big difference somehow.

Things I don't want to change:
Shifters: Ultegra, happy with it.
Rear Derailer: Ultegra, happy with it.
Crankset: FSA Gossamer, happy with it.
Chains, Cables, etc: I have no idea what they are... is there a need to change them up?

Thanks, and post up any mods you guys are looking to do... would be good to see some discussion on this. I don't know much about components yet so I've been pretty much only looking up Shimano parts.

swak
09-03-2009, 12:08 AM
For Brakes look into 'Tektro R580's'
They are 105 spec, and cheaper than Shimano brakes, and most likely good for what you need it for.

If youre going to upgrade your front deraillur, dont do it unless you do a whole component swap. You wont notice a thing, and it'll look kind of stupid to be honest to have tiagra/105 components and a Dura Ace front deraillur haha..

And you definitely should buy new pedals.
Probably dont NEED, Dura Ace spec, look into 105. Its what i ride with, and they are fine and dandy for me, and i consider myself to ride a lot.

Think about it, tell me what happens.
Pics of said bike?

Good luck kiddo.

superflychief
09-03-2009, 07:31 AM
upgrading anything from 105 to Ultegra isn't really worth it. Very little difference besides weight. Maybe when you wear out the component then go for it but just for the sake of an upgrade, save your money. The pedals are a good choice. I have them on my bike and they feel great. As for the brakes, you'll be happy with the 105. Once again, not worth going to Ultegra if you can get a great deal on the 105.

98type_r
09-03-2009, 10:22 AM
order your parts online from probikekit (http://www.probikekit.com/index.php)
It's a UK based site, but shipping is free and often cheaper than ebay. They have the pedals for $117.xx

agree with swak on the FD swap, it's totally unnecessary and there is no appreciable difference going from 105 to ultegra at this time. Now, that being said seeing as how the rest of your groupo is Ultegra I'd do it just for the sake of continuity but I'm a groupo whore.

What wheels are you running right now, you could save a lot of weight by replacing the wheelset. That could be a costly upgrade though but it doesn't have to be. You might also want to start looking at your tires as they wear out. You could save some weight, or get some better grip/rolling resistance/puncture resistance depending on your preference.

scary_perry
09-03-2009, 11:07 PM
The pedals are a good idea, everything else is a waste of money - just light your money on fire - same thing. Brakes and a new Fr Der will not improve your rides one single iota.

Tires: Get better, lighter ones. Schwalbe Ultremos are great. Lower rolling resistance, weight and better ride quality. $80 for a pair.

Tubes: Get lighter ones, Michelin ultralights are good. Conti UL too. $20

Wheels: Lighter and bladed spokes. Target 1500 grams - this will save you a pound. A pound or rolling weight makes a huge difference - moreso than losing 5 lbs off your gut.