PDA

View Full Version : Athabasca U Questions

jus_sum_guy
09-03-2009, 11:03 AM
For anyone that has experiance or knows anyone in the same situation...

I am looking at changing careers.

Interested in taking the BComm Accounting Major and eventually getting my CMA afterwards.

http://www2.athabascau.ca/programs/bcomm4acct/

If I am working fulltime and taking the degree at the same time, can I finish it in 4 years or less?

How much time devoted to studies is needed each day if I study all the way through summer as well?

The reason why I ask is people go to school 8 hours each day to complete a degree in 4 years. If I am only putting aside 3-4 hours per day towards my studies, can I do it?

Is Athabasca "fast-tracked" compared to going to the UofC for example so that students finish within 4 years?

Hope that all makes sense lol

Any help greatly appreciated.

thinmyster
09-03-2009, 09:19 PM
I would say: no FACKING chance IN HELL...

I took a calculus course through athabasca and it was pretty fustrating at the best of times. The tutors there are useless so I ended up paying a tutor myself. Im assuming you'll have to take a few math courses if you havent already.

IMO you would need bare minimum 1 hour every second day/per course. MINIMUM. (This would be on par with university lectures where most courses run MWF for 1hr). Then the U of C recommends you should study 2 hours for every 1 hour of lecture. (So for you, 3 hrs every second night per course). Now obviously some courses are easier than others and some people will tell you they never study at all and do fine but I've found:
not studying = teh fail. Especially in science courses. Ill let you do the rest of the math

Another thing, Universities force you to know your material ON TIME and take tests ON TIME even if your not totally prepared. It would be hard for me to think of a quiz/exam where another day of studying would not have been beneficial to me.
My advice to you if you must go to Athabasca would be to set realistic midterm and final dates right as you start the course and STICK to them. Better yet phone them in so your less likely to back out. (Each course will have an outline for you to follow on how long each unit should take 1 week, 2 week etc and when you should write your exams)

Reality check*****

Since no one is pushing you to take tests you will undoubtedly put things off to be better prepared and before you know it you will be paying for 150$$ per course per extension. NOT GOOD!

My advice would to quit your job and apply for school full time. The only realistic way you will finish. Most people cant hold down a part time job with a full course load at u of c