PDA

View Full Version : Pay the lawyer or the vet? Mature Opinions Plz.

J NRG
09-03-2009, 11:57 AM

JfuckinC
09-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Line of credit? loan? anyway you can swing that shit?

J NRG
09-03-2009, 12:03 PM

Danny Meehan
09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
You worked hard for what you have / achieved. Pay the lawyer, sell any assets / liabilities (cars) at lower cost, just to preserve what you worked for all these years.

bulaian
09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
if you can't afford a lawyer, won't the courts provide you with one?

masoncgy
09-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Citifinancial? HSBC Finance? Have you checked with either of them on getting a loan?

You can probably get approved to spring the dog and pay the vet bill off.

I would probably look at other alternatives with respect to your criminal case...

im2fst4u
09-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Danny Meehan
You worked hard for what you have / achieved. Pay the lawyer, sell any assets / liabilities (cars) at lower cost, just to preserve what you worked for all these years.

Sit down and tell your entire story to the vet and work something out, I am sure that they would be willing to set up a payment schedule concidering your situation.
There are also organizations that may help with the vet bill.....I would call the Humane Society (403) 205-4455, perhaps they can point you in the right direction for financial assistance.

Hakkola
09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Is this the dog that was hit on Glenmore?

J NRG
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM

spike98
09-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I find it weird that the lawyer wants you to pay the full cost up front. Usually they take a standard fee right away and the remainder will be due once the trial (if any) is over.

Get some different opinions from different lawyers. Most if not all offer 30 min free for consultation. Check out a few.

I would spring the dog first and drag the case out as long as you can. Really your inbetween a rock and a hard place.

Mind sharing what kind of figures your looking at? From your last thread i would guess ~$3000 for the vet and in the end maybe $7-$8000 for the lawyer?

Loan, HELOC, mutual funds, RRSPS, Bonds and the interest rape companies like HSBC and Wells Fargo.

Weapon_R
09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
If it's a first appearance, go yourself and explain to the judge that you have not had time to retain counsel and want to reserve your plea for a later date. Explain that you are raising funds for counsel and you will need more time to discuss your options and enter a plea at a later date.

This will allow you to address your vet bills and defer payment to a lawyer to a later date. Depending on your circumstances, you can defer your hearing for a considerable amount of time. Even if its not your first appearance, you can still ask that the matter be put over to a later date until you find counsel, to which the judge may set the date or ask for a date better for you (within reason).

Weapon_R
09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by spike98
I find it weird that the lawyer wants you to pay the full cost up front. Usually they take a standard fee right away and the remainder will be due once the trial (if any) is over.

Get some different opinions from different lawyers. Most if not all offer 30 min free for consultation. Check out a few.

lol not a chance in hell. No criminal defense lawyer in the city (that I know of) defers payment until the end of trial.

benyl
09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Being that I am not an animal person, I would say ditch the dog.

Dogs last, what, 10 years or so? Criminal records last a lifetime.

ganesh
09-03-2009, 12:52 PM
How much is your vet Bill?
Did you try ARF ?

spike98
09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

lol not a chance in hell. No criminal defense lawyer in the city (that I know of) defers payment until the end of trial.

I have never heard of any completely defering the payment. But many offer a retaining fee of say $5000 then the remainder at the end of trial.

I have family at in an office so i dont ever pay right away but i have heard on many occasions that lawyers will do this for a new client or someone that clearly isnt a deadbeat.

Wrinkly
09-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Some good advice here so far. I'm sure the vet could be more reasonable if you explain. I've never heard of one refusing to help with large bills :confused:

You say you "talked to various people who say you have a good chance in court".

What people? What does your lawyer say your chances are? His opinion is far more relevant.

Don't forget in court it comes down to facts. What led up to the assault won't matter so much as the charge being dealt with. A guy is injured and there was a witness. Did you cause his injuries? If they decide you did - verdict will be guilty. Bit simplistic I know, but it basically comes down to that. The fact that most will agree he deserved it, doesn't really matter in court - it's all about whether you did, or did not assault the guy. Vigilantism is frowned upon in court.

The fact you've admitted guilt on a public forum may not be a very good idea either.

Good luck - tough choice to have to make.

jonnycat
09-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
Some good advice here so far. I'm sure the vet could be more reasonable if you explain. I've never heard of one refusing to help with large bills :confused:

You say you "talked to various people who say you have a good chance in court".

What people? What does your lawyer say your chances are? His opinion is far more relevant.

Don't forget in court it comes down to facts. What led up to the assault won't matter so much as the charge being dealt with. A guy is injured and there was a witness. Did you cause his injuries? If they decide you did - verdict will be guilty. Bit simplistic I know, but it basically comes down to that. The fact that most will agree he deserved it, doesn't really matter in court - it's all about whether you did, or did not assault the guy. Vigilantism is frowned upon in court.

The fact you've admitted guilt on a public forum may not be a very good idea either.

Good luck - tough choice to have to make.

No way, self defense. People on his property with a weapon. Just because a guy wins an altercation doesn't mean he incited it. He had just cause to believe his life was in danger.

jonnycat
09-03-2009, 01:16 PM
I'd pay the vet bill and get a public defender.

J NRG
09-03-2009, 01:35 PM

J NRG
09-03-2009, 01:44 PM

quazimoto
09-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm confused here. Some person throws a rock at your vehicle which can be construed as assault with a weapon and you fight back and get charged with assault yourself.

Was the other person charged as well?

I would go to court for your first apeparance by yourself. Try to explain things. I'd be shocked if this went to trial. Worst case if it's your first offence your looking at probation.

spike98
09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
...snip....Worst case if it's your first offence your looking at probation.

But he had mentioned a possible career in law enforcement. Which would be no dice with an assult charge. If its criminal he is toast. You may be able to have it reduced.

If the man had a knife on him you can bet it would be self defence.

So thats roughly $4500 in bills....hmmmm set up a paypal account?? Im sure if you tried you could at least raise enought for a "Please bust my dog out of the clink" fund or a "I beat the piss out of a douche vandle that had a huge knife and now the po po are charging me" fund.

If there are asshole that take donations on other forums for a new fucking turbo kit or some mad dooopeee altezza's then i am sure you stand a chance at at least something from the best car forum on the interwebs.

sputnik
09-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Put the dog out of its misery.

homelessman
09-03-2009, 02:52 PM
kill lawyer & dog - flee to asia.

2EFNFAST
09-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I've got to ask something - W(hy)TF would you ever have your dog ride in the back of your truck. I'm sorry, but everytime I see that I just cringe. I don't care if it's tied down, shit happens - that's got to be the stupidest thing a dog owner can do.

J NRG
09-03-2009, 04:31 PM

se7en
09-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I know some people who can help you out.

You probably won't like the 'interest' rate, or the punishment if you don't pay up....but it is always an option....

Seriously, there are people that will lend you money, but you HAVE to pay it back.

Tik-Tok
09-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by J NRG

Of course I also now need a rebuttal against all the folks that will criticize me for keeping them in the cab in the sun.

I leash my dog, and tie it to a the seat mounts, and leave a window 1/2 open :dunno:

You do have a right to free court appointed attorney, they might suck, but there's that option.

If it were me, I would get my dog first, pronto, and then figure out the lawyer.

J NRG
09-11-2009, 01:34 AM

freshprince1
09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Keep your chin up OP, keep working hard, things will get better.

gretz
09-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Keep your chin up OP, keep working hard, things will get better.

Had something similar to this happen - a 26 year old stuck his hand over my 6 foot fence and got bit by my rottie/newfy/mastiff. It resulted in 6 stitches to his hand, followed by me taking the dog in to get fixed (he was almost 2). The anesthesia killed my buddy and his bitch of a mom wrote a letter to the paper about me having 4 unregistered dogs (i now have one english lab) and the possibility of her son having rabies........followed by her demanding blood work from my cremated pup

Fuckin useless people making things worse.... things will get better for you, it takes time as all things do:thumbsup: Hang in there

3g4u
09-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I feel for you man. What a terrible string of events. Hope things get better for ya!;)

bignerd
09-11-2009, 05:00 PM
Kind of a catch 22-it doesn't help that the vet is charging $50 a day thus increasing a bill you already are having a hard time paying but they don't want to release the dog either for fear of never seeing their payment.

Can you apply for a credit card? Have RRSP's you can withdraw? TV/stereo or electronics you can pawn? Parents to ask? A combo of all of the above? If you can come up with most of the bill the vet may agree to lessen/wave their boarding fees and call it a wash-it is better for them to do this then have you walk away from the dog and they get nothing.

I would find a lawyer that is cheaper by $2000 and hope for the best.

J NRG
09-11-2009, 05:26 PM

bignerd
09-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Could try putting the car in an auction. Kind of out of ideas unless you pick up a part time job or something at night.

dexlargo
09-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
You do have a right to free court appointed attorney, they might suck, but there's that option. They don't suck, the biggest names in criminal defence in Calgary take Legal Aid work. There are also less experienced people taking legal aid work, but all that I know are competent lawyers.

However, Legal Aid isn't a right. First of all, you have to show that you can't afford a lawyer. Even if your income is low enough, for low level crimes where you are not facing a risk of jail time they generally don't provide coverage.

Other defence options that are available to people with low incomes that you could investigate are Student Legal Assistance at the University of Calgary - cost: $30.00. Or Calgary Legal Guidance.

yellowsnow
09-11-2009, 10:20 PM
go to a car dealership and ask how much they will pay you for your car. depending on your car, they will just pay you cash for it.

J NRG
09-11-2009, 10:25 PM

J NRG
09-29-2009, 02:55 AM

J NRG
09-30-2009, 06:44 PM

Tik-Tok
09-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Good on you.

freshprince1
09-30-2009, 09:26 PM
good work.

post your tow truck contact info for us. always good to have one on speed dial.

Graham_A_M
09-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Yeah good job!!!

I was just going to say, if you needed some short term work, I could have something for you helping my boss and I build his deck.... but Im glad it all worked out for you in the end:)

dexlargo
10-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Absolute discharge? Wow - those are extremely rare.

For those who don't know, it means that you are determined to be guilty, but for extenuating reasons, no conviction is registered (so no criminal record) and you don't have any punishment.

Conditional discharges are given more often (but are also rare), where if you complete a period of probation without breaching any of the conditions, then the conviction is discharged and you have no record.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the reasons for the discharge to be absolute?

core_upt
10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
:clap: :clap:

sweet dude - glad it worked out for you.