PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Crowchild/Bow River

frozenrice
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm looking at a city bike path map and it shows that there is a path where Crowchild crosses over the Bow River. I don't recall ever seeing a bridge or anything. Is there a pedestrian bridge running underneath/parallel to Crowchild? I can't tell from either from Google/Bing maps.

atgilchrist
09-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Goes directly under crowchild.

core_upt
09-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Yup - runs right under crowchild, connecting the North and South Bow River pathways.

The bridge is at the same level as the pathways, so no climb/descent but it can get congested with peds, cyclists, dogs, etc.

Vagabond142
09-04-2009, 02:49 PM
You also get an awesome cooling wind coming up off the bow on a hot day like today. I usually pedal slooooowly across the bow bridges to get maximum cooling XD

frozenrice
09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks.
I recently picked up cycling again and trying to get my kid into it as well. We've been trying different paths the last few times out. He's still pretty green and I thought the loop along the both side of the river would be a nice to try out for him.

Proboscis
09-04-2009, 06:29 PM
It's a bit on the narrow side, I believe it was installed 10 years ago.

Redwagon
09-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Proboscis
It's a bit on the narrow side, I believe it was installed 10 years ago.

Probably didn't cost $25 million either :rofl:

nich148_9
09-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Thanks.
I recently picked up cycling again and trying to get my kid into it as well. We've been trying different paths the last few times out. He's still pretty green and I thought the loop along the both side of the river would be a nice to try out for him.

It's a pretty great loop. When I was a wee kid, my dad used to take me from the Kensington area, along the path, crossing over to the south path at Crowchild, and cycling down to Bowness, then turning around. I think that's probably one of the best loops.

EDIT: We'd cross back over at about Edworthy Park – I don't think you can go to Bowness from the south side of the river.