PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable G35 MODs

nicum
09-04-2009, 11:55 PM
I just bought a 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe 6spMT -58000km
it already has the brembo brakes and a new set of 19" rims ,and winter tires and i was thinking of changing the intake on it and the exhaust .
Any ideas of what else would go good with it?

I don't want to over do it and make it look like a space ship trying to orbit deerfoot , and im new to the car forums so i don't know what else to write in here..

Any info welcome ....thanks

Cooked Rice
09-05-2009, 12:00 AM
turbo. nuff said. :bigpimp:

2EFNFAST
09-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't throw money at it. Biggest mistake I did to mine - it's slow, fat, doesn't respond well to mods, etc...

However, if you insist, imho, the best ones are:

- 1/2'' MD isothermal plenum - mine used to DIE above 4k RPM due to heat soak. MD isp will give you another 20hp or so and solve the heat soak issue. VERY worth it

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/G35.php

- replace stock g35 intake tube with a 350z intake tube. It'll sound much better w/o that crappy resonator restricting it

- remove g35 intake box 'power duct'.....if you look at the front of your intake box (where you can look through to see your air filter), there's a thing with 2 grommets on the front labelled 'power duct'. Removign it picks up like 1 or 2 (if that hp), but the main difference is the overal sound of the engine becomes a lot deeper. Almost sounds like you have an aftermarket exhaust

a 350z intake tube + removed power duct will give you the same power as an after market intake, but sound better and be easier to install.

- I wouldn't remove the stock exhaust - stock sounds good; most of the aftermarkets sound like ass

- If you want to do some exhaust work, replace cats with kinetix highflow cats, and the manifolds with shorty headers - I recommend the topspeed headers. They're cheap (~$300/header), decent quality, and the exact same gains as some of the more expensive brand name ones like Dc, crawford, etc...

S13_Ryan
09-05-2009, 12:37 AM
tint if it doesnt already have it, drop it a little if theres any fender gap

4AGE
09-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Almost sounds like you have an aftermarket exhaust

- I wouldn't remove the stock exhaust - stock sounds good; most of the aftermarkets sound like ass

You contradict yourself.

2EFNFAST
09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by 4AGE

You contradict yourself.

I meant the pd removal + 350z tube makes it sound deeper and mroe aggressive, while retaining the stock note (what I like to call the stock 'warble' the 350z/g35 have).

longtubes and hf cats will keep the same tone as well, but make it much louder.

As long as you keep the stock muffler you retain the stock 'warble', albiet makign it louder and deeper.

EK 2.0
09-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by 4AGE

You contradict yourself.

You need to learn to read and comprehend...

nicum
09-05-2009, 06:50 PM
wow thanks a lot 2EFNFAST thats awesome info ... ill look into all those...
thx guys keep it coming

Dan0myte
09-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Read up:

http://g35driver.com/forums/

nicum
09-10-2009, 04:14 PM
ok anyone know where i can find a sub box custom built for the G35 coupe ?
ohh yeah one more thing
... affordable deep dish rims ?? any info ?

brandon
09-10-2009, 04:23 PM
What are you looking to achieve? a nice and clean ride or more hp?

Either way nothing you do to these cars is cheap... "that looks good"

nicum
09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
im happy with the hp that is already has so im not lookin into any performance parts besides the intake and exhaust , so tryin to keep it clean ...

i saw a really nicely done G35 coupe in the NW simple black on black rims offset , it looked awesome so im thinkin something along those lines. nothin to outstanding like body kits or anything like that .

beyond_ban
09-10-2009, 05:39 PM
What color did yu pick up? Post some pics!

nicum
09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
i got the black 04 model ... im not gonna post any pics until i finish everything i want to do to it ...

Redlyne_mr2
09-10-2009, 07:42 PM
SG motorsports in Ontario makes a crazy exhaust for the 350/g35 cars. Sounds amazing with noticeable gains.

J NRG
09-10-2009, 08:03 PM

911fever
09-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
SG motorsports in Ontario makes a crazy exhaust for the 350/g35 cars. Sounds amazing with noticeable gains.

they really do have a great product.

2EFNFAST
09-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

they really do have a great product.

Videozzz?

Redlyne_mr2
09-12-2009, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Videozzz?
My buddy Sasha builds some awesome 350s
iU2h0JTq2fk

JordanAndrew
09-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Holy shit that's so loud. :eek:

90_Shelby
09-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Don't do anything to it but put a supercharger on it. Best bang for the buck.

2EFNFAST
09-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Don't do anything to it but put a supercharger on it. Best bang for the buck.

Not really - once you get through the cost of it, the install, and supporting mods, you could have bought a used corvette (vs a g35+sc, that won't even dyno what the corvette makes stock)

It makes more sense to do the mods I listed - a little bit more usable power for under $600ish.....then save the rest fora better car down the road.

tentacles
09-12-2009, 08:41 PM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/gto-dave/SHOWS/SEMA_2007/GTO2.jpg

2EFNFAST
09-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/gto-dave/SHOWS/SEMA_2007/GTO2.jpg

weak

http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/images/mclaren/1995-mclaren-f1-lm/mclarenf1lm95_engine.jpg

tentacles
09-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Uh... that engine isn't in a G35? I don't see the relevance?

2EFNFAST
09-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
Uh... that engine isn't in a G35? I don't see the relevance?

Oh! I thought you were just posting a picture of a GTO - I hadn't relized somebody had swapped it into a g35. my bad, sorry!

maxideus
09-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I have the 5/16" MD Plenum Spacer, OEM Z-Tube, K&N Air Filter for stock air box, GordGee Grounding Kit and got my timing advanced +2*. Many people get the Z-Tube and Pop-Charger for sound only.

I hear headers and pullies only produce nominal HP, compared to what it will cost to purchase and install. As mentioned earlier though check out www.g35driver.com/forums for ideas. The biggest G35 community on the web.

2EFNFAST
09-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by maxideus
I have the 5/16" MD Plenum Spacer, OEM Z-Tube, K&N Air Filter for stock air box, GordGee Grounding Kit and got my timing advanced +2*. Many people get the Z-Tube and Pop-Charger for sound only.

I hear headers and pullies only produce nominal HP, compared to what it will cost to purchase and install. As mentioned earlier though check out www.g35driver.com/forums for ideas. The biggest G35 community on the web.

Pullies are a waste - I have the KJ and it didn't do anything except make this weird squeeling sound on a cold start on a cold morning

Headers made it deeper/more bass. Definite power-band increase. I'd get the topspeed ones ($200) ..... they perform as well as the $1000 sets and fit just fine. .... although the install time is quite a long time (5-8hrs depending on who does it)

schocker
09-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by maxideus

How did the grounding kit work out for you, I was looking into it along with the spacer as I already put in the ztube and k&n for a little more pickup.

2EFNFAST
09-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by schocker

How did the grounding kit work out for you, I was looking into it along with the spacer as I already put in the ztube and k&n for a little more pickup.

I found mine to be pretty useless - if you really wanted to, you could buy some 8ga wire, crimp on ends, heat shrink, and make your own, but I doubt you're going to see anything from it. Car started the same, everything was the same.

Do the spacer; you WILL see noticeable gains. Also, if you do the isothermal spacer, you can leave the valve open all the time - I remember seeing some people who religiously would open/close it depending on the temps, but I've left mine open in +30* weather and -50* weather.

maxideus
09-14-2009, 09:56 PM
I found that my grounding kit made my car more responsive, throttle is faster, shifting is crisper, and idle is lower. Did you get the full kit with the ECU and TCU grounding cables? Also, an ECU reset is needed as well (which can be performed in 2 ways).

Besides the fact, as far as bolt-on and most "bang for buck" mods go, the plenum spacer, z-tube, and k&n air filter is all you will need. Some people go with NGK Iridium spark plugs to get an extra 3 - 5 HP as well. A timing advance will also give your car some extra pep that you may be looking for. Keep in mind, if you get your timing advanced, you will need to purchase premium gas only (91 octane or higher).

You can also change up the exhaust but I find the stock exhaust sounds perfect.

potatopineapple
09-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I had a grounding gear kit when I had my G35, I thought I felt something but it could have been placebo effect. The idle did drop by 200rpm though.

From my experience its not just snake oil...

schocker
09-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Well from what i have read on gdriver it is mainly for the auto guys to speed up the shifts. I will just look into the spacer again as I gave my spacer money to the cps today :banghead:
i did read up on the timing advance but if it benefits the higher rpms, i dont think i would bother getting it done.

dirtsniffer
09-14-2009, 11:02 PM
drop discplacement to 3l, arrange the cylinders in a straight line, attach two turbos and through a roundel on that bad mother fucker. :devil:

2EFNFAST
09-15-2009, 12:00 AM
At first I thought maybe I felt something, but then realized it's just grounding cables.

Maybe the auto shifts faster (maybeeeeeeeeeee) but htat's a moot point really - the stupid adaptive tranny logic kills it over time (i.e., drive 'normally' and it learns to shift like a slug; drive like you stole it and yea, it shifts faster/better, but as soon as you drive normally it dummies itself back down).

At one point I was resetting the ECU every 2weeks to make the shifts crisper and throttle more responsive, then I woke up and was like 'W(hy)TF am I playing around with this....it's not like doing this adds 200hp. Just live with it'

The problem with these questionable mods is that 9/10 times it's a placebo effect - e.g., on a mustang (99ish) you could remove the air silencer. And people would do that and claim 'OMG! SO MUCH FASTER NOW!' (no, not really, you just think it is; I admit I feel for that trap as well)