PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done a "blow through"

)v(ortal
11-09-2003, 11:39 PM
basicly lookin for anyones advice on a blow through for trucks, dont know if anyone here has done one before... i recall a guy with 4 12s through his blow through.... im just looking for any troubles ppl came across wen doing this, and how big did you make it, im planning on doing mine but im not to sure of it yet..

this will be for either 2 brahmas, or 2 XXX's, or 2 Power Hx2's and or the w7 alll in 12"s cept the jl in 13.5..

thanks

-db

James
11-10-2003, 12:47 AM
Just curious, what is a "blow through"?..:dunno:.....i had a good line about your mom/blowing, but figured it wasnt very tasteful :rofl:

topher91
11-10-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by )v(ortal
basicly lookin for anyones advice on a blow through for trucks, dont know if anyone here has done one before... i recall a guy with 4 12s through his blow through.... im just looking for any troubles ppl came across wen doing this, and how big did you make it, im planning on doing mine but im not to sure of it yet..

this will be for either 2 brahmas, or 2 XXX's, or 2 Power Hx2's and or the w7 alll in 12"s cept the jl in 13.5..

thanks

-db
Just currious but is that when you use part of your flatbed as your sub enclosures and cut a hole into your cab??

Sorry that I wasn't any help. :(

Ashkente
11-10-2003, 02:26 AM
I was thinking blow-thru turbo...but I don't know anything about that either :P

)v(ortal
11-10-2003, 07:27 AM
no its were u cut out ur cab into ur truck box... cuz i have a reg cab not extn cab.... i know im supposed use some surta shit to seal the gap... then i dont know wat fuck else...

-db

3G
11-10-2003, 11:18 AM
then people will yank your subs, ull have a huge hole in ur truck and ull be freezing on the way home

jdmakkord
11-10-2003, 11:39 AM
try street heat, a buddy of mine had it done like 6 years ago by them

)v(ortal
11-10-2003, 11:48 AM
ya i wanna do it my self thogh.. i can just go to sounsaround and drop 700$ off and the guy there (only customs guy) will do it for me, build a box cut everything out dyna matt it so ya... but i like doin this shit my self.....

-db

SinisterProbeGt
11-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Danny,
to do a blow threw you have to make the cab and box a single peice by using some sort of seal.
I had this done on a ranger I had years ago we used a rubber seal that I got from some city plumming yard it was about 2ft in diamiter. we had to drill it and seal it around the box and cab to ensure sealing. I also had a bed topper on it that locked . It sounded ok some rattles outside the truck and we used about 15 large rolls of dynamatt to make the thing kick.
all in all about 1500 bucks in labour and materials sounded killer with 10 12" crank's in there and 5 alpine v12 amps

12V
11-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
with 10 12" crank's in there and 5 alpine v12 amps

Holy shit! i'm surprised you can still hear .....anything.

)v(ortal
11-10-2003, 02:45 PM
ahaha ya, i know all that im gettinmy tonuea cover soon, so im gunna do the blow through, i also have all the tools other then the dynamat and the seal for now.... thanks for the advice luke

-db

Fosgate R
11-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Yeah, my buddy did one on his Z71, and it sounds awsome, but sealing it was a bitch, and in the winter last year he blew 2 subs cause of the cold, you gatta remeber to turn the volume down before you get out of the car!

ramminghard
11-10-2003, 03:23 PM
go to truck and RV accessory shops. THey have an accordian type material that works really well for the sealing

)v(ortal
11-10-2003, 04:25 PM
awsome thanks.... ya he blew his shit cuz the subs were cold and he was forcing them to play hard in the cold and leaving the volume turnd up and just shut it off.... ya i dont know wat type of box to build... and wat types of accordian is there..? like is sumthin likerubber were i can stretch accross my gap?? then seal it with some of that black silicone type stuff (that smells bad)..?
kool thanks guys!!! i still need some more advice or shit i might run into.... fostgate, how was the cuttin????

-db

spike98
11-15-2003, 08:09 PM
I did one to my truck. You can get the rubber peice from a RV/Truck Topper place. They use it to connect a topper to the back window of a truck. It is like an accordian all around. It has metal grove on each end that you snap onto the sheet metal to secure it.

And ass in your face to anyone that says they can blow subs when there cold!! I pound my 4 12s as soon as i get in the truck and nothing happens.

)v(ortal if you want i can run outside and take a bunch of pics and email them to you. Just email me at [email protected]

)v(ortal
11-17-2003, 06:30 PM
^^ no offence... but thats just dumb u can just expect everything to be warm wen u turn it on.... cant just turn ur truck or car on and pound the shit outa it.... its like goin into ur car for the first time in 12 hrs and givin it revs.... and just keep reving i, may sound good now but it will wreck ur amp, deck, and ur subs...

-db

redx2nv
11-17-2003, 07:44 PM
yea you can crack either the cone or the surround on the subs.

this is equal to staring your car in -30 degree weather than instantaneoulsy doing donughts till your car warms up. doesnt sound good, does it..

spike98
11-17-2003, 08:10 PM
You can crack the cone or the surround of your sub. But it is *in british voice* "NOT BLOODY LIKLEY" It all depends on the material of the cone/surround. If you have a cheap sub then the material will be cheap and will stiffen easily when cold but never brittle enough to break. Unless you have your car cryo frozen or pound you car in space. I have NEVER cracked the cone or surround in ANY speaker i have EVER owned. Nor have i ever heard of anyone that has done it. It is all up to you on what you do but it wont do anything.

If it is cold slam away. If something does happen it is the installation and the setup that is the problem not the weather.

spike98
11-17-2003, 08:18 PM
^^ no offence... but thats just dumb u can just expect everything to be warm wen u turn it on.... cant just turn ur truck or car on and pound the shit outa it.... its like goin into ur car for the first time in 12 hrs and givin it revs.... and just keep reving i, may sound good now but it will wreck ur amp, deck, and ur subs...

None taken but i don't expect for the equipment to be warm. I simply dont care because i know it won't do anything. It does however alter some T/S parameters of the subs. One such para. is the efficentcy. It can be greatly reduced due to the material of the driver getting stiffer and the DC RE can change from the material of the voice coil changing temp.

I don't claim to know everything but i do know this subject as i too was wondering what the cold would do to my system. I have done lots of research and ask many professionals in the hobby and as the magic 8 ball would say is "All signs point to NO"

And if it will wreck your deck and your amps then you better run and take out EVERY peice of electrical equipment out of your car.

)v(ortal
11-17-2003, 09:21 PM
^^ ya kinda... lol meh not my shit, im not to worried but ya sweet deali-o

-db

12V
11-17-2003, 11:58 PM
...Subs built for the cold Canadian winters...

spike98
11-18-2003, 12:00 AM
Mortal i tried to send you some pics of my blow through but it sent them back - unable to send -

The zip file was 3.5mb so i figure hotmail doesn't like them that big.

)v(ortal
11-18-2003, 12:02 AM
hmm weird.... try just sendin them unzipped 1 at a time... and theres a size limit to send, its REALLY small or just post them here... thanks!! try 1 pic at atime

-db

spike98
11-18-2003, 11:31 PM
They are shiitty pics. I will take some in the daylight and post them here.

)v(ortal
11-19-2003, 10:46 AM
ok kool thanks man!!

-db

strokethis
11-19-2003, 07:06 PM
Hey, i have 2 12" cerwin vega dual coil strokers in a box, with a 1200.1 pheonix gold tantrum amp. I am selling the system at $2300 canadian. The subs and amp are only 2 months old and they havnt even been pushed to the max.

just thought u might wanna consider looking at these strokes.. they are sick subs.. my buddy had 1 12" and the same amp and he hits around 1.50 dB... i cant push mine to the max right now cause i need to run 0 guage wire.. and since im selling the subs i dont wanna bother buying the wire..