PDA

View Full Version : Biking year round. What do you need?

el_fefes
09-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Any of you bike year round?

I started riding my bike recently to c-train station for commute, gf's house etc... I really like the exercise.

I was wondering what kind of gear would I need to keep riding through the winter?

swak
09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
warm clothes, simple green (keep your bike clean during the winter!), dont store bike indoors during winter, winter tires.

no_joke
09-06-2009, 03:44 PM
^^Is that a typo or is it true that shouldn't store your bike indoors?

If you're traveling distances farther than 1 km to 2 km apart or on hilly sections, I would recommend getting studded tires for traction on ice. Good gloves are also important. The cold winter wind will cut right through most gloves.

scary_perry
09-06-2009, 06:05 PM
You already have the most important things: a good attitude and the desire to be fit!

swak
09-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by no_joke
^^Is that a typo or is it true that shouldn't store your bike indoors?

For winter cycling, its best to keep your bike in a shed or garage or something, so it stays close to the temp outside.
From inside to outside, in the cold its a huge transition in temp. This causes brake pads to ice up really fast, obviously not a good thing to happen.

el_fefes
09-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah, i'm keeping mine in the shed so I don't think that'll be a problem.

Any recommendations for stores where I can buy good gear?

Also are studded tires a must? There are some hills around my area.

swak
09-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Its not a MUST, but its STRONGLY reccommended.

Try Bow Cycle. They got the biggest inventory.

2000Accord
09-07-2009, 07:55 PM
If you want studded tires, it will likely be cheaper to order out off of the internet, just google Nokian studded bike tires.

If you have biking shoes, clipless pedals, the cold weather shoes at MEC are great value.

Also make sure you have good lighting for dark winter days...not so much for you to be able to see, but to ensure that everyone else see's you....I would reccommend a helmet light so you can use it for establishing eye contact with motorists and cross-walks.

I have been riding in winter for a few years now, and with the right gear it is just fine.

stev0
10-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by el_fefes
Yeah, i'm keeping mine in the shed so I don't think that'll be a problem.

Any recommendations for stores where I can buy good gear?

Also are studded tires a must? There are some hills around my area.

I'd say they're optional... Calgary is pretty dry, just avoid the ice if biking on sidewalks / streets. obviously you won't be biking the reservoir in January.

Vagabond142
10-06-2009, 07:23 PM
So, can one get by by wearing long johns under khakis (I'll probably be biking to SAIT, as I have to finish my last semester there, about a 5 km ride) or should I invest in some of those bespoke winter riding leg and arm sleeves? Also, what about facial protection? Is it better to wear tight glasses and a balaclava, or ski goggles, or what have you?

swak
10-06-2009, 10:22 PM
I dont wear any eye 'protection' while commuting. In the winter, i just pull out one of those scarf like things (that just wrap around your mouth/neck).
Hoodie, coat, hat.

-40 has nothing on me.

syeve
10-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't commute all winter but I do moutain bike all winter. I have the usual winter stull, fleesie jacket pants gloves. Thats about it. I do not wear socks though, my bike shoes are too tight. One good thing is my water stays super cold.

EDIT: One other thing I will say about winter riding. I found once I started riding in the snow ice you become extremely comfortable on your bike in all conditions. The first winter I rode I was amazed at how fast and confident I rode the next srping when the dirt returned. It will do wonders for the technical side of riding.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Syeve/DSC01099.jpg:thumbsup:

J NRG
10-09-2009, 04:20 AM

phreezee
10-14-2009, 08:07 PM
I rode all of last winter and only fell twice with regular tires.

-You need good gloves the wind can't cut through.
-For pants, I'd get some bike tights, and then an outer shell.
-Jacket was just a fleece and my helly hansen shell.
-Good lights because it's dark during commute hours.
-Shoes, I just wore my Adidas goodyears. You can get some shoe covers, but I didn't really need them.
-Seirus ultra clava, thin enough to go under your helmet for the colder days.

http://www.snowshack.com/imagesEdp/p74001b.jpg

dirtsniffer
10-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by J NRG
.... To guy that mentioned cross-walks. Picture a city of 3.5 million people. The best (and only) way I found to gain my right of way through a cross walk? LOOK MAH NO HANDS!! (Or brakes...) [/B]

wtf do you mean right of way through a cross walk? maybe i mis-read it. but you DO NOT have the right to ride a bicycle through a crosswalk:confused:

Kennyredline
10-15-2009, 12:17 PM
FENDERS!!!!!