PDA

View Full Version : installing door speakers

Big_C_racing
11-10-2003, 01:29 AM
I am looking to install door speakers in a car that has never had them. Wondering how much work is involved and common problems/annoyances.

Weapon_R
11-10-2003, 02:00 AM
What do you drive? Most applications are extremely straight forward and simple to do.

hondarunner
11-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Well if you havent ever wired speakers into thet car before, than firstly you need a speaker amp. From that its basic wireing from the deck to the amp, and amp to speakers. nothing too big, or complicated.

Big_C_racing
11-14-2003, 01:03 AM
of course I know how to wire speakers in cars..i've done more than my share of installs. Just for the record hondarunner, you don't need to wire speakers through an amp before you reach the deck. Decks have built in amplifiers and are powerful enough to power your speakers.

Weapon_R.....I drive a mid 80's mercedes 190 Deisel. I was thinking about putting speakers in the rear door panels. I am wondering if there are clearance problems when the windows are down due to the narrow door panels. I am also wondering where to run the wires if I want to do a clean install.

JGerke
11-14-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Big_C_racing
of course I know how to wire speakers in cars..i've done more than my share of installs. Just for the record hondarunner, you don't need to wire speakers through an amp before you reach the deck. Decks have built in amplifiers and are powerful enough to power your speakers.

I am also wondering where to run the wires if I want to do a clean install.

Hey man, no need to freak out......he dont know what you've done......just chill.......and no.....he is right......if you have a stock deck, most of them dont have amps built in, most have amps separate from the deck which are a bitch to get at......and for a clean install, if running speakers from your doors, you would got through the door hinges to get out of the door, and where ever you want after that.

JGerke
11-14-2003, 04:48 PM
^^^^ and if you have done your 'share' of installs, you would have known that!!

jdmmavericktR
11-14-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by JGerke

Hey man, no need to freak out......he dont know what you've done......just chill.......and no.....he is right......if you have a stock deck, most of them dont have amps built in, most have amps separate from the deck which are a bitch to get at......and for a clean install, if running speakers from your doors, you would got through the door hinges to get out of the door, and where ever you want after that.

hahahaha he wasn't freaking out...and hondarunner didn't say you need to find the stock amp...he said you need an amp period...also, the guy was talking about speaker wiring...not deck installs....he said he's done his share of speaker installs...at least that's what I got from it...too bad hondarunner's post could go either way with his command of the language being what it is... :(

JGerke
11-14-2003, 06:16 PM
^^^^ hahaha......good way to be neutral!

Big_C_racing
11-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by JGerke
^^^^ and if you have done your 'share' of installs, you would have known that!!

fuck off buddy.

If you use any modern aftermarket deck it will have a built in amp that will power your speakers. If its not clear enough for you dont be an asshole..explain or ask.

Big_C_racing
11-14-2003, 11:17 PM
so getting back to the question....

What sort of clearance issues in the door?...is there enough room to still role down windows if you put in say... 5 1/4 speakers.

JGerke
11-14-2003, 11:22 PM
Aftermarket deck?? Where does it say that??.......if you were clear......neither of us would have to be assholes!

jdmmavericktR
11-15-2003, 05:31 AM
gentlemen, gentlemen...we can ALL be assholes....hahahahahhhhahaaahahaha

JGerke
11-15-2003, 12:34 PM
^^^^ ahahahahahaha true that

engineclueless
11-15-2003, 01:34 PM
jesus christ..........look simple answer.....if its an aftermarket unit YOU DONT NEED AN AMP....sure it would be better to have one, you'll get better frequency responses and a louder volume but its not necessary as long as you have an aftermarket HU......

now the other thing to consider is cutting a hole in your door and making that look clean

also make sure that the mounting depth of the speaker doesnt exceed the depth of your door or else you'll be fucked with a hole cut the wrong size.....

wiring goes into the door, through the hinge grommet (if there is one)(there should be).....and your best bet for a clean install would be down through the door jamb (sp).......under the carpet and to your amp or HU depending........