PDA

View Full Version : Black spots when shooting lower aperture?

Quizzes
09-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Hello, I'm new to this DSLR game (using a Nikon D40) but would like some intermediate or expert advice on why or how I'm getting these black spots on my photos when shooting with low aperture.

This is what appeared on one of my photos before I decided to test out my lenses (24mm at f/22):
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/Stud_McCool/DSC_0156.jpg

I shot the following pics against a white wall to better illustrate my point.
This one is shot with an 18-55mm Kit Lens at f/36:
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/Stud_McCool/DSC_0027.jpg

This one is shot with a 24mm at f/22:
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/Stud_McCool/DSC_0028.jpg

As you can see both lenses produce the exact same black spots on each photo so I've come to the conclusion that it's my camera that's causing this. How do I go about removing it, or if my warranty covers any of this if I've only had this camera for about 3 months?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

quazimoto
09-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Could be dust on the sensor, the mirror or the lens. Have you you tried different lenses to see if it's still there. If you take the lens off and put the camera into manual cleaning mode you can get a good look at the sensor. If you tilt the camera back and forth you should be able to see visible dust on the sensor.

Quizzes
09-07-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Could be dust on the sensor, the mirror or the lens. Have you you tried different lenses to see if it's still there. If you take the lens off and put the camera into manual cleaning mode you can get a good look at the sensor. If you tilt the camera back and forth you should be able to see visible dust on the sensor.

Yes, I've tried with different lenses and the black spots appear at the exact same spots on both lenses, so I've come to the conclusion that it's my camera that's causing this.

Do I have to take it to a professional to get it cleaned or can I clean this off myself?

quazimoto
09-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Easy to clean yourself. You can buy the cleaning supplies at the camera store. They make sensor cleaning swabs that are designed to fit specific camera. The cleaning solution is zinc oxide or something they sell you that is used for cleaning the sensors. It's actually extremely easy.

Just look in the mirror though. You might be able to see visible dust at which point all you need is a blower to clean it.

D'z Nutz
09-07-2009, 12:50 AM
that's definitely sensor dust. If it were on the mirror or the lens, it wouldn't show up in your photos.

You can clean this yourself. It's a little intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it won't take more than a few minutes to do it. There's lots of ways to clean your sensor, so google it and see what works for you.

Quizzes
09-07-2009, 01:05 AM
^^^ Thanks for this.

Will need to get one of these sensor swabs. Looked at the camera store website, that's a mighty expensive Q-Tip. LOL

TDFTW
09-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Quizzes
^^^ Thanks for this.

Will need to get one of these sensor swabs. Looked at the camera store website, that's a mighty expensive Q-Tip. LOL I paid $24 for my kit from tcs. well worth the money!

quazimoto
09-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Well they look expensive at first glance but there are lots in that package and it should last you for quite some time. I mean heck mine lasted almost a year and a half. Considering nikon and canon charge $50-$100 for a cleaning it's a good investment.

nsphoto
09-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Quizzes
Will need to get one of these sensor swabs. Looked at the camera store website, that's a mighty expensive Q-Tip. LOL
I recommend that you don't scrimp on the cleaning material. I tried several different ways to clean my sensor without a decent swab and ended up just moving more and more dust around. It ate a lot of time cloning and healing brushing all those dust marks out of my photos! I should have just got the good swab in the beginning.

The_Rural_Juror
09-07-2009, 11:12 AM
There are a few videos on youtube to help you out. Did you buy this camera used? You might have to watch where you're changing your lenses to prevent this in the future.

Gibson
09-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I bought one of those sensor pens and all that ended up happening was all the dust ended up in the corners of the sensor. I just kind of leave it alone now, and if it pops up in a photo I just clone it out.

I've been thinking about buying a sensor swab for some time though, so let me know how it turns out.

Quizzes
09-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Thank you all for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be picking up a cleaning kit tomorrow and see if I can do this without wrecking the sensor.

Quizzes
09-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
Yeah, I bought one of those sensor pens and all that ended up happening was all the dust ended up in the corners of the sensor. I just kind of leave it alone now, and if it pops up in a photo I just clone it out.

I've been thinking about buying a sensor swab for some time though, so let me know how it turns out.

Finally got around to cleaning the sensor. Purchased the Giotto Rocket Air along with the sensor swabs (4-pack).
I tried using the rocket air first to see if that alone can clean the sensor because I didn't wanna open up the swabs cuz I'm a stingy mofo and cuz I'm reluctant to touch the sensor if I didn't have to. It actually made the sensor more dusty and I had the camera pointed down the whole time.

I opened up the swab, first one didn't do jack cuz the dust was still there, maybe it was too dry?? I ended up using another one - so much for being stingy - and it removed most of the dust. I still notice a couple of tiny specs on the image but not as major as before.

I'm still a noob because I just realized I bought this: http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/camera-care/sensor-cleaning/sensor-swab-plus-type-2-e2-4-package instead of this: http://www.thecamerastore.com/products/camera-care/sensor-care/digital-survival-kit-2-e2-fluid.

It's like ordering a Big Mac, a large drink and large fries separately. FML

CRXguy
09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
LOL
You can do mine when the time comes. :thumbsup:

Quizzes
09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy
LOL
You can do mine when the time comes. :thumbsup:

No worries... I'll give it the good ol' spit shine. :D