PDA

View Full Version : LF someone to replace toilet.

joegrang
09-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Hello I have tried to fix my toilet but it continues to leak. I need to find someone to replace it. Does anyone know of someone who could replace my toilet for me? Can anyone recommend a plumber? Thank you.

Kona9
09-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Replacing a toilet is relatively easy and will save you a bunch of money if you do it yourself.

Once you have purchased a new toilet and wax ring...

1) Turn off main water (from house) Most toilets have a shut off valve at the toilet, turn both off. Better safe than sorry.

2) Drain the toilet. (flush and bucket)

3) Undo bolts at base as well as the water line to the tank.

4) Remove toilet and old wax ring.

5) Clean area, place new wax ring

6) Have someone help you place new toilet over new ring (easier with two people)

7) Redo steps 1-3 in reverse.

8) Have a shitload of towels ready incase you failed.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Good luck

lint
09-07-2009, 03:39 PM
http://video.bobvila.com/m/21291704/how-to-replace-a-toilet.htm

barmanjay
09-07-2009, 04:11 PM
i would replace your water feed line with a 12" or 14" steel braided flex line aswell.

tigs
09-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Whatever you do avoid ARO Plumbing and Heating!!! Huge ads in the yellow pages, but have 30 (soon to be 31 complaints) in the last 36 months with the Better Business Bureau. Our experience: Charged more than double what other plumbers have said it should have cost, and 700 more than his original estimation. Total rip-off, and gives all plumbers a bad rep.

Worth a little search on BBB's website and a couple of calls if no one has a referral. Not to say those rated well on BBB are good...

Couple suggestions based on my mother's recent experience, even though they may seem common sense (if you're inexperienced and your basement is flooding, common sense may be absent):
1. Check out the BBB website to get some slight guidance on who to call 1st (pay attention to when they're membership began, if they are a member at all; their rating; # complaints, and what the complaints were for and if they were resolved).
1b. When calling: find out all the fees they foresee associated with the job (coming out, hourly shop fee, etc.)
2. Ask to see their credentials
3. Get a itemized quote/receipt and it should be explained (pay attention to parts costs as well...they are usually quite cheap, so don't be fooled)
4. Don't sign anything you don't agree with on the bill: Ex. blurb at bottom saying that everything was explained and repair was completed to satisfaction, etc. Legally, if you sign that, they've generally done their part (as shady as it may be, with a few exceptions) and the law is on their side.
5. Ensure what they did works before signing your life away/paying/them leaving.

Sorry a bit of a rant, but just avoid ARO Plumbing! Wish I could help more! Good luck...

ercchry
09-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
Replacing a toilet is relatively easy and will save you a bunch of money if you do it yourself.

Once you have purchased a new toilet and wax ring...

1) Turn off main water (from house) Most toilets have a shut off valve at the toilet, turn both off. Better safe than sorry.

2) Drain the toilet. (flush and bucket)

3) Undo bolts at base as well as the water line to the tank.

4) Remove toilet and old wax ring.

5) Clean area, place new wax ring

6) Have someone help you place new toilet over new ring (easier with two people)

7) Redo steps 1-3 in reverse.

8) Have a shitload of towels ready incase you failed.

If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Good luck

way too much extra....

pm me if you want some help i have only done this 20,080 times...

turn water off at toilet

flush toilet

undo the two bolts between toilet and ground

lift straight up and place in shower or tub (if you tilt it will spill)

scrap old seal off, toss down new one and toss on the toilet again (assuming it was leaking from the base and not cracked, if these factors do not hold true then might need a new toilet)

the braided lines are nice but if the old one still works just leave it

so basically... if toilet leaks at base it is 95% of the time the wax seal.... if it leaks between the bowl and toilet there is a seal there too... when you tighten those bolts back up do the same amount of spins to each side evenly... if there is a crack in toilet.. well get a new one... if it leaks where the water line goes in.. tighten it... if that fails get new seals around those parts

again.. toilets are simple... just take a look at it

ercchry
09-08-2009, 11:57 PM
ps. lift toilet between the bowl and tank... like right behind the bowl... also if you call a plumber you are looking at a fee of about $150 with no parts minimum

for all your plumbing needs (well if the total bill is over the $25 minimum fee) check out emco... there are 4 in the city and that is where the plumber gets all their shit from (well there or wousley)

TomcoPDR
09-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
(well there or wousley)

Wolseley?

joegrang
09-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks! this really helped. I have been able to fix the toilet without a plumber.

sputnik
09-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Silcraft Plumbing
403-560-4719

lint
09-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Silcraft Plumbing
403-560-4719

He's already fixed the problem without a plumber

Thaco
09-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by lint

He's already fixed the problem without a plumber

you've been around long enough to know the Sputnik cant read.

lint
09-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

you've been around long enough to know the Sputnik cant read.

true. my bad. carry on

FiveFreshFish
09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by joegrang
Thanks! this really helped. I have been able to fix the toilet without a plumber.

Was it the wax seal?

joegrang
09-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Was it the wax seal?

Not the wax seal. The tank was leaking and so I had to replace all the rubber gaskets. However when I did so I neglected to add any of the plumbers putty which resulted in a small leak even with all the new gaskets.

rc2002
12-30-2012, 09:32 PM
FYI for anyone that might turn up this thread in their search for a plumber:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/364200/how-much-did-your-hot-water-tank-cost/