PDA

View Full Version : banana ketchup spaghetti

nonlinear
09-07-2009, 09:29 PM
has anyone ever made this before? is this how you do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwhkdcZfFTw

what's up with the sliced hot dogs in there :nut:

CivicDXR
09-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Its a filipino thing... trust me, its good... :)

nj2Type-S
09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
^lol, :werd:

nonlinear
09-07-2009, 09:38 PM
are hot dogs typical, or is that how university students make it. (just wondering). does anyone have a good family recipe for this? would love to make this.

BokCh0y
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
:werd: - Does it need the hotdogs? Meatballs would be fine a I assume?

Also where can you get that Banana Ketchup stuff? i'll get my pinoy pals to make it for me hehehe.

EK 2.0
09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

Its a filipino thing... trust me, its good... :)

Dixxer is right...

I am brown but flip on the inside and I got excited when i saw the thread title haha...

flipstah
09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
:werd: - Does it need the hotdogs? Meatballs would be fine a I assume?

Also where can you get that Banana Ketchup stuff? i'll get my pinoy pals to make it for me hehehe.

:love: :drool:

For Filipinos, the spaghettis there are usually sweeter in nature and has more meat, like hotdogs! It's cheap and filling, what more do you want?!

You can get the good stuff at any Filipino store. Hell, you can get it at T&T and Superstore!

Just look for Jufran:

http://www.stephaniesyjuco.com/antifactory/blog/Jufranbanana.jpg

:thumbsup:

reiRei
09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
O_O my grandma makes the best filipino spaghetti ever.
.. and now I miss it... :(

nykz
09-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Looks good, getting me all hungry now... Does any place serve this, or am I gonna have to make this myself :drool:

Unlaced
09-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

:love: :drool:

For Filipinos, the spaghettis there are usually sweeter in nature and has more meat, like hotdogs! It's cheap and filling, what more do you want?!

You can get the good stuff at any Filipino store. Hell, you can get it at T&T and Superstore!

Just look for Jufran:

http://www.stephaniesyjuco.com/antifactory/blog/Jufranbanana.jpg

:thumbsup:

Jufran is good but this stuff is legit:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-67821377237447_2067_9350414

nj2Type-S
09-07-2009, 10:33 PM
home made is the best, for sure! (except for jollibee, hahah)

it's not that hard to make, anyway...but definitely get lots of hot dogs in there :drool:

cocoabrova
09-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Mmmm Jufran.... goes with almost anything:thumbsup: and spam/vienna sausage instead of hotdogs in filipino spaghetti :drool:

nonlinear
09-07-2009, 10:45 PM
yea, i went to my buddies house and he had a bottle of banana ketchup chillin' on his coffee table (haha). so then i got home and googled it, and one of the first results was the spaghetti video.

so, can any of you guys post up some good recipes? the guy in that video uses store-bought Ragu as a base... i'm just curious if anyone has recipes that use less unadulterated ingredients, like tomato sauce or tomato puree. or, is it really common to just mix a jar of sauce with the ketchup? post up some recipes, guys!!!

flipstah
09-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
yea, i went to my buddies house and he had a bottle of banana ketchup chillin' on his coffee table (haha). so then i got home and googled it, and one of the first results was the spaghetti video.

so, can any of you guys post up some good recipes? the guy in that video uses store-bought Ragu as a base... i'm just curious if anyone has recipes that use less unadulterated ingredients, like tomato sauce or tomato puree. or, is it really common to just mix a jar of sauce with the ketchup? post up some recipes, guys!!!

I'd rather use Hunt's Italian sauce with garlic rather than Ragu, but that's just me.

It's pretty much like that, except melted cheese is missing.

BenC
09-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Looove that shit. Best tasting spaghetti for sure

GQBalla
09-08-2009, 06:14 AM
I MUST TRY THIS!

looks tasty

for some reason when i read the tittle i automatically thought of flip food

yummy

bourge73
09-08-2009, 06:56 AM
My GF is filipino and this is one of her specialties (one of the
few :( )not really traditional but just brown up some ground beef add some garlic, onions and add the Banana Ketchup I like to add a bottle of hot and a bottle of sweet....its a must try.

Jeremiah
09-08-2009, 10:42 AM
This has been served at Every single Filipino party I have gone to. I only tried it once and when I saw pieces of Vienna Sausage that was the dealbreaker lol. I couldn't believe I saw that in Pasta!! I'm sure it would be good without cocktail weinies :dunno:

sputnik
09-08-2009, 11:11 AM
You can get this Banana Ketchup at Sobeys.

http://www.baronfoodsltd.com/bananaketchup.htm

adam c
09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
love flip spaghetti, but you guys are forgetting the filipino spagehtti sauce to go along with the banana sauce

st184
09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Just picked up all the ingredients at the Shawnessy Superstore (although they only have the hot banana ketchup), going to be cooking everything tonight then finishing off with a pie :D.

TurboD
09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
inspired me to make eggs+hot dogs+ketchup

i will def be trying this recipe in the future

IntegraG2
09-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Ohhh werd filipino style izz best bro...

Jufran is awesome especially the hot one...I wish I had hot banana ketchup to put on my spam musubi in Hawaii.

Disoblige
09-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Sounds pretty good. It's not too off from my Pineapple and shrimp fried rice

superboss
09-08-2009, 08:29 PM
The Green Gratto on 17ave sells the banana ketchup for $3 a bottle. Totally good, I was weary at first but low and behold I bought 3 bottles.:drool:

cdnsir
09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
So what does the banana ketchup taste like exactly. The guy from the vid seems to be saying it's regular tomato ketchup, but without the sour so it's essentially sweet.... Does that mean you can't taste the bananas in it whatsoever?

BokCh0y
09-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir
So what does the banana ketchup taste like exactly. The guy from the vid seems to be saying it's regular tomato ketchup, but without the sour so it's essentially sweet.... Does that mean you can't taste the bananas in it whatsoever?

i picked some up lastnight and yeah.....doesn't taste like regular ketchup. But you can't taste the Banana either. Kind of a tangy sauce. Have you ever tried catalina salad dressing? Tastes like that.

Anyways....i made this dish lastnight minus the hot dogs. Fuck was it good!!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the recipe.

nonlinear
09-09-2009, 09:25 PM

i picked some up lastnight and yeah.....doesn't taste like regular ketchup. But you can't taste the Banana either. Kind of a tangy sauce. Have you ever tried catalina salad dressing? Tastes like that.

Anyways....i made this dish lastnight minus the hot dogs. Fuck was it good!!!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the recipe.

really! man, now i wanna try this shit on salad hahha :rofl:

BokCh0y
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
heard it's good as a dipping sauce too :D

DENZILDON
09-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I am brown but flip on the inside and I got excited when i saw the thread title haha...

Nice!!! I grew up in PI and had Brown Filipino Friends in college!

UFC is the best brand for this spaghetti and TNT should have them. You can also find a hunt's spaghetti sauce "Filipino Style" in there.

flipstah
09-10-2009, 10:28 AM
heard it's good as a dipping sauce too :D

Meh not really, it's too lumpy to 'dip' anything in. The banana sauce is too thick (hehe.)

Dipping is this Chinese Chicken sauce deal. My god, this + cheese = HEAVEN. :love: :drool:

http://www.khiewchanta.com/images/chicken-sauce.jpg

GQBalla
09-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Meh not really, it's too lumpy to 'dip' anything in. The banana sauce is too thick (hehe.)

Dipping is this Chinese Chicken sauce deal. My god, this + cheese = HEAVEN. :love: :drool:

http://www.khiewchanta.com/images/chicken-sauce.jpg

cheese??? in this sauce????

wtf

lol

i like this sauce on chicken but damn cheese?

flipstah
09-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

cheese??? in this sauce????

wtf

lol

i like this sauce on chicken but damn cheese?

Don't doubt till you try. A piece of cheese (cheddar, mozzarella or some sort of 'soft' cheese) dipped with this bad boy... :drool:

I discovered this delicious concoction at the most inappropriate time so I do remember the taste.

And it was good.

DENZILDON
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
^^^ The filipino version of cheese sticks is a fried spring roll with cheese inside. Deep it in that sweet and sour sauce = awesome!!!

nj2Type-S
09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
^^^ The filipino version of cheese sticks is a fried spring roll with cheese inside. Deep it in that sweet and sour sauce = awesome!!!

lol, "deep it in that sweet and sour sauce..." you even said it how flips would say it, haha! jk, i'm flip, too...hahaha

but ya, that sweet and sour sauce is freakin' awesome..i use that for everything. :D

DENZILDON
09-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S

lol, "deep it in that sweet and sour sauce..." you even said it how flips would say it, haha! jk, i'm flip, too...hahaha

but ya, that sweet and sour sauce is freakin' awesome..i use that for everything. :D

Bwahaha, flip potlock anyone? I bet EK would be the first one to show up! :rofl: