PDA

View Full Version : McLaren MP4-12C

Tetsugen
09-07-2009, 11:56 PM
Project codename P11 is officially designated as McLaren MP4-12C, which Ron Dennis said will be unveiled on Wednesday. Fuck I hope it stacks up with the F1.

Team_Mclaren
09-08-2009, 12:06 AM
i still dont understand why its dubbed mp4-12c... the mp4-12 wasnt exactly the most competitive F1 car in 97. However the 13 and 14 both won the championship in the following two years

and no, its supposed to be a 458/ 911 turbo competitor, so it wont be anything like the F1.

TorqueDog
09-08-2009, 08:14 AM
I've been waiting for a long time for a new McLaren road car.

That said, it's unfortunate it won't be a Bugatti Veyron killer.

rage2
09-08-2009, 08:23 AM
The Veyron/Enzo competitor will be coming out a year or 2 after this one.

Jay Leno has driven the car already and says it's amazing.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
i still dont understand why its dubbed mp4-12c... the mp4-12 wasnt exactly the most competitive F1 car in 97. However the 13 and 14 both won the championship in the following two years
Maybe it's to do with innovation. The MP4/12 introduced the dual brake pedal "traction/steer" system. It also introduced a mechanical hydraulic KERS system for an extra 100hp burst out of EVERY corner with a braking zone. These were adopted in the MP4/13 which made it so competitive.

Team_Mclaren
09-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Maybe it's to do with innovation. The MP4/12 introduced the dual brake pedal "traction/steer" system. It also introduced a mechanical hydraulic KERS system for an extra 100hp burst out of EVERY corner with a braking zone. These were adopted in the MP4/13 which made it so competitive.

ya but the secondary brake pedal is on the steering wheel on the F1 car no?just imagine how many people will crash that thing trying to operate that second pedal :rofl:

rage2
09-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
ya but the secondary brake pedal is on the steering wheel on the F1 car no?just imagine how many people will crash that thing trying to operate that second pedal :rofl:
No. Both pedals are foot operated. Clutch is hand operated behind the steering wheel, and throttle is foot operated. So you would use left foot for left brake and right foot for right brake.

David Coulthard talks about it quite extensively in his biography, and how surprisingly easy it was to get used to such a setup. McLaren had it on the car, passed by the FIA for years before Ferrari found out about it and challenged it. The only reason why they need 2 foot brakes is because rules don't allow for automated braking systems. Today's car pretty all brake each wheel independantly and automatically without multiple pedals, that's how stability control and ABS keeps things in check.

Anyways, I'm just saying that the MP4/12 was one of the most innovative McLaren's in the last 2 decades, even tho it wasn't that fast. The tech from the MP4/12 moved on to make McLaren dominate the next year on the MP4/13.

dino_martini
09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Should be interesting to see what mclaren can come up with. I have faith but the 911 turbo and F430 market is a tough one. Tonnes of loyalty and not to mention the economy. It will be very interesting

adam c
09-08-2009, 12:26 PM

No. Both pedals are foot operated. Clutch is hand operated behind the steering wheel, and throttle is foot operated. So you would use left foot for left brake and right foot for right brake.

David Coulthard talks about it quite extensively in his biography, and how surprisingly easy it was to get used to such a setup. McLaren had it on the car, passed by the FIA for years before Ferrari found out about it and challenged it. The only reason why they need 2 foot brakes is because rules don't allow for automated braking systems. Today's car pretty all brake each wheel independantly and automatically without multiple pedals, that's how stability control and ABS keeps things in check.

Anyways, I'm just saying that the MP4/12 was one of the most innovative McLaren's in the last 2 decades, even tho it wasn't that fast. The tech from the MP4/12 moved on to make McLaren dominate the next year on the MP4/13.

most people can't even operate the gas how are they going to operate 2 brake pedals...

rage2
09-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by adam c
most people can't even operate the gas how are they going to operate 2 brake pedals...
Read what I wrote again.

Anyways, there's only small bits of tech info released so far. Engine is going to be the 6.2L AMG unit (from the 63's) modified by Mahle (formerly Cosworth) to pump out 550-570hp. It's rumored that only the block and head casting is used, everything else is McLaren/Mahle spec, thus the engine will be badged a McLaren and not Mercedes-Benz or AMG. The suspension will be actively tuned, which means at slow speeds it's a lot softer, while at high speeds it's a lot stiffer. Nothing really new here, I think this is the same sorta setup as what the Vettes have?

homelessman
09-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

Who cares if this car isn't a Veyron killer. An exercise to exceed the Veyron's top speed will likely never happen, especially these days. The only ones cursing that it isn't as fast as the Bug are kids watching Youtube videos.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/241471/new_mclaren_supercar.html

Mibz
09-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Engine is going to be the 6.2L AMG unit (from the 63's) modified by Mahle (formerly Cosworth) to pump out 550-570hp. The link above challenges that.

It’s a 3.8-litre twin-turbo V8 that boasts 600bhp and, apparently, the highest specific power output in its class. Torque is rated at 442lb ft, 80 per cent of which is available from below 2000rpm.

rage2
09-08-2009, 06:13 PM
BBC's report says twin turbo too. Guess some of the rumors are wrong.

Twin turbo... that'll be awesome for Calgary haha!

Looks like it got the MP4/12 brake steer (aka ESP aka stability control hehe)

Time to start saving up...

ShermanEF9
09-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

i think the speed age is nearly done... take the airlines.

noone cares about fast, they care about being practical.

I think this will be a fun car that will bring mclaren into the picture.

Mibz
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Time to start saving up... I'll buy the M3 off you when you're done with it. *cough$20cough*

Team_Mclaren
09-08-2009, 07:44 PM
and the specs are out fuckers

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/08/mclaren-mp4-12c-first-batch-of-details-and-images-surface/

3.8L TT V8, SSG, MonoCell weighs less than 80 kg.
brake steer system without the pedal, haha.

In 2011, McLaren will bring technology and performance exclusive to this 'ultimate' sector into the 'core' segment.

fuck i cant wait for the next car:drool:

95EagleAWD
09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Fuck you McLaren.

New dream car, literally. Simply awesome.

Tetsugen
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Holy. Fuck.

Mibz
09-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Pics in white pls.

RecoilS14
09-08-2009, 11:47 PM
It has some nice body lines, but the overall total body styling, to me; is a total clash of designs in the worst way.

Front end looks like a Boxster. Sides look like it came off the S7, and the rear is like the designers just couldn't decide on which car to steal from so they made it look like its from an upside down 180sx taillamp style with the plastic off a Challenger then gave it a squinty eye and large glaring nostrils. I do love how the exhaust looks however.

Seriously, it looks like it's a Hyundai.

Im not arguing over the specs, im strictly speaking looks.

rage2
09-09-2009, 12:55 AM
It's pretty obvious where they stole the looks from...

http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_657/car_photo_328945_25.jpg

http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_657/car_photo_328942_25.jpg

rage2
09-09-2009, 01:27 AM
As with the McLaren Formula 1 car, a shift can be actuated either by pulling or by pushing on the rocker. The rocker moves with the steering wheel, rather than being mounted on the steering column, so that if a gearchange is needed while lock is being applied the driver does not have to fumble around to change gear.

The rocker itself incorporates an innovative feature created by McLaren engineers called Pre-Cog. The name stands for pre-cognition, literally 'foreknowledge'. The rocker on the 12C has two positions with a slightly different haptic (or feel) for each. The driver applies first pressure to the rocker and it informs the gearbox to get ready to swap ratios, thereby saving time – latency – between the message being sent and the gearbox being primed to act. The second pressure confirms that the gear should be changed and the torque handover is completed in milliseconds.

"What Pre-Cog actually does is initiate the shift process by priming the clutch and torque handover – it takes significant time out of the process," explained Dick Glover, Technical Director McLaren Automotive.

"It's a little bit like the first pressure on a camera shutter button. There's no requirement for the driver to use it but it is more satisfying and engaging if you do. The SSG also promotes seamless shifting in which the driver doesn't have to reduce engine power at all – rather than the gearshift slowing you down, it actually speeds the car up by recovering the energy of the crank spinning as it drops engine speed," he said.
Nice improvement on the DSG with the pre-cog function.

Another feature that helps the 12C to handle at a new level is a development of an electronic system used by McLaren's 1997 MP4/12 Formula 1 car, – Brake Steer. In essence, it is a system that brakes the inside rear wheel when the car is entering a corner too quickly to make the desired radius. Under normal circumstances the front would wash away wide of the apex the driver wants to touch: in other words, the car is in a state of understeer.

Brake Steer manages the tendency of a car to wash out and brings its nose back on line. It assesses the steering angle to determine the driver's intended course and applies the inside rear brake to increase yaw rate and resume the desired course.

The system also works on acceleration out of a corner when the inside rear has a tendency to spin, allowing the driver to put power down more quickly. It controls what a limited slip differential would do and obviates the need for such a complex and heavy unit, thus saving more valuable kilos.
This will be a weird one... the car won't have a LSD to cut weight. The SLR didn't have LSD and used ASR (which is basically Brake Steer) and I wasn't a fan of the system because you lose a lot of feel when you start stepping the rear end out. Either McLaren has figured it out, or it's a car that's tough to "drift" out of corners.

Team_Mclaren
09-09-2009, 07:42 PM
cjsFhxqPCd0&

rage2
09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Hrm, no footage of Jay driving the test mule?

soloracer
09-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Damn, I didn't see a cup holder. That's a deal breaker........:D

dino_martini
09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Will it be coming to North America? How will it be distributed?

Redlyne_mr2
09-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Wow Mahle built the engine awesome.. . cant wait..without reading through the entire thread will it be available in Canada?

Mibz
09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Will it be coming to North America? How will it be distributed? They're claiming 1000 a year with a quarter going to UK, a quarter to USA and the rest distributed across the world.

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
will it be available in Canada? I imagine that, if you're interested, they're available anywhere.

you&me
09-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
... I imagine that, if you're interested, they're available anywhere.

It's not that simple.

However, I would imagine they will be officially offered in the Canadian market. My guess would be one or two franchises for the entire country. Maybe through the two Bugatti dealers, or a similar set-up where the McLaren is offered alongside other luxury brands.

If the US is getting ~250 cars, Canada will likely get ~20 cars.

rage2
11-13-2009, 01:50 PM
McLaren did some development work on the top gear circuit. That's almost like fudging benchmarks haha.

Team_Mclaren
11-13-2009, 01:57 PM
^^ the dude in the middle looking at the laptop looks like Gordon Murray

483hp
11-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by you&me

I would imagine they will be officially offered in the Canadian market.

Yes. Canadians will be able to order these cars new from the factory.

TorqueDog
11-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Call me crazy but... I like the looks of the original better.

Vagabond142
11-21-2009, 05:39 PM

http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_657/car_photo_328942_25.jpg

That F1-GTLM in the middle.... oh my god... my favorite race car ever :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :drool: :drool: