PDA

View Full Version : Good schools to get a teaching degree in BC

ekguy
09-09-2009, 08:54 AM
So being young and immature before I ignored what my real calling was and tried going to school to get high paying jobs...Both times I went to college I was never motivated to go to class, never listened when I went and in the end ended up quitting both times.

Teaching is in my blood, most my family is a teacher of some sorts, this includes my sister and my father (who may I add has kept teaching 10 years after his retirement).

Me and my girlfriend are moving to the Okanagan as we have both had traumatic experiences in Calgary and just feel like we'd like to move away.

I want to know if there are any reputable universities in that area, more specifically Penticton that would be good for this. I know Kelowna now has a UBC Campus but Kelowna is pretty much the only town i'd like to avoid in the Okanagan but will still go if it's my only option.

Let's hear your opinions.

ekguy
09-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Anyone???:dunno: :dunno:

Stephen81
09-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't know how many courses you ended up finishing at SAIT bro, but look on their website as it will list schools they are affiliated with. If you could at least get credit for some of your courses...I think UBC Okanagan has an agreement with SAIT. Even with a teaching degree you'll be taking a few years of general stuff so even getting credit for a few courses should help.

And don't take this personally, but if you were never motivated to listen or pay attention before...you're REALLY gonna have to want to be a teacher because you've still got a few years of sitting through mostly irrelevant classes until you start getting into a classroom setting.

And the money sucks...everyone in my family are teachers..but if that's your passion good luck!

ekguy
09-12-2009, 09:36 AM
But being a teacher is what I always wanted. I tried going into business because I thought it would be a better move in Calgary. I can sit through any irrelevant class if the teacher is good. My sister is definitely doing good as a teacher. Not amazing but definitely not a shit salary. You just have to be ready to put in the years. I've been around it my whole life and it's always what I wanted to do but never just went for it. Now I'm ready.

max_boost
09-12-2009, 10:08 AM
First link on google. How to become a teacher in BC.

http://www.ufv.ca/teachereducation/become_a_teacher.htm

My wife is a teacher. Ludelvr is a teacher. TC2002 is a teacher. It's definitely a calling and it's a lot of work.

Every school is going to have different admission requirements so best for you to get researching and figure out which University you want to go to. Some require an undergraduate degree (4years) and offer a post degree program (2years) and while others are a straight admission 4-5 year undergraduate program.

Can't comment on BC. In AB, the pay is OK. I believe it's higher than other provinces but in line with living costs. I say the pay is OK because the hours I see my wife put in. The benefits are nice. I know I could never be a Teacher. The workload is heavy with long hours during the week. You take it home, you think about it, it's hard to separate yourself from it.

Anyway, good luck. If it's what you want to do, be prepared to work hard and you'll get there! :thumbsup:

ekguy
09-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the links and info. This is definitely the way I'm going at this point in my life. Might take me 6 years but it's ok. My parents know someone who started school to be a doctor after his wife left him at 40 years old so I'm pretty sure at 26 I can do this for myself.

hattonlynch
09-13-2009, 05:36 PM
just do your research brother. thompson uni in kamploops could be a good experience. ubc in kelowna, u of vic....you really have tons of options. just dont go to school in surrey or burnaby or something like that