PDA

View Full Version : Monkey mask to avoid speed camera in AZ

mr2mike
09-09-2009, 11:30 AM
http://o.aolcdn.com/photo-hub/news_gallery/6/2/629478/1252448611955.JPEG

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/09/08/20090908dpsmonkey0908.html
Dave Vontesmar hates photo enforcement.

Vontesmar drives nearly 30 miles a day from his home in north Phoenix to his job at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and passes through the photo-enforcement gantlet on Interstate 17, Arizona 51 and Interstate 10.

But when state Department of Public Safety officers served 37 unpaid photo-enforcement tickets to Vontesmar recently, he wasn't fazed.
The photos all show the driver wearing a monkey mask.

"Not one of them there is a picture where you can identify the driver," Vontesmar said. "The ball's in their court. I sent back all these ones I got with a copy of my driver's license and said, 'It's not me. I'm not paying them.' "

Vontesmar, a flight attendant, chose to inform the DPS that he was not driving when confronted with the 37 violations at his job three weeks ago. DPS officials estimate the car registered in Vontesmar's name was caught by cameras more than 90 times, but time had lapsed on the majority of violations by the time officers tracked Vontesmar down.

Vontesmar is confident that he won't have to pay the fines, an amount that could exceed $6,500.

"It's obviously a revenue grab," he said of the program. "They're required by law to ID the driver of the vehicle. If they can't identify the driver or the vehicle by the picture, what are they doing to identify the driver?"

Typically, the DPS uses driver's-license photos and vehicle registration to confirm the identity of motorists, but there is a special unit assigned to go after frequent fliers.

In this case, officers sat outside Vontesmar's home and watched him drive to work. "We watched him four different times put the monkey mask on and put the giraffe-style mask on," Officer Dave Porter said. "Based on surveillance, we were positive that Vontesmar was the driver."

Porter said that it would be up to justices of the peace to determine what to do with Vontesmar's tickets, but the officer said there is enough evidence to reissue the tickets in Vontesmar's name, despite his claims that he was not the driver.

Some frequent speeders cover their faces, use post-office boxes or fictitious addresses to beat the system, said Officer Jeff Hawkins, who is working 50 such cases.

"They generally do it under the pretext that they're not going to be caught," he said. "These are what you probably consider as people who don't really respect the law at all."

a) I would totally sport the paper mask with the popsicle stick attached at the bottom like J. Clarkson on Top Gear.
b) I can't believe that they've got officers working 50 cases to try and catch these offenders.

Next there will be a law stating you can't wear a mask while driving.

Seanith
09-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Thats pretty funny. I love how he has a giraffe mask too lol

BokCh0y
09-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Hahaha that's gold.

sputnik
09-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Isn't the responsibility still on the registered driver, regardless of who is driving the car?

ragu
09-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Can't the tickets be issued like this in AB? I'll wear my helmet all the time!

scat19
09-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Haha!

Just like england, where they have to ID the driver, and the German registered car went speeding through with a puppet in the passenger seat (in england, the "passenger seat" is the driver seat)

SCHIDER23
09-09-2009, 11:58 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

JfuckinC
09-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by scat19
Haha!

Just like england, where they have to ID the driver, and the German registered car went speeding through with a puppet in the passenger seat (in england, the "passenger seat" is the driver seat)

Link?! lol

mr2mike
09-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Isn't the responsibility still on the registered driver, regardless of who is driving the car?
They hand out demerits too for photoradar in AZ. IF they can ID the driver. You would think he needs to pay the fine but not incur the demerits.

Originally posted by ragu
Can't the tickets be issued like this in AB? I'll wear my helmet all the time!

With a shirt that says I AM THE STIG.

Nate
09-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Link?! lol

http://gizmodo.com/5069422/the-muppets-animal-caught-speeding-driving-police-crazy

71car2
09-09-2009, 09:38 PM
:rofl: Man, what a... :nut: !! Does he think he can get away with that car all decked up with the title on the windshield?! When the AZ cops had gotten enough photos showing all the same car caught- he's done for good! But I have to handle that to him for wearing monkey mask and got caught at least 90 times!

:rolleyes: Gotta love how people try to find a loophole with law and still try break it anyway.

homelessman
09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
The guy is a flight attendant.

revelations
09-09-2009, 10:21 PM
"In this case, officers sat outside Vontesmar's home and watched him drive to work. "We watched him four different times put the monkey mask on and put the giraffe-style mask on," Officer Dave Porter said. "Based on surveillance, we were positive that Vontesmar was the driver." "

There is something seriously wrong with the cops down there if taxpayers' money is spent on not one, but 2 cops staking out a house to watch a guy put on a monkey mask.

TorqueDog
09-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by 71car2
:rofl: Man, what a... :nut: !! Does he think he can get away with that car all decked up with the title on the windshield?! When the AZ cops had gotten enough photos showing all the same car caught- he's done for good! But I have to handle that to him for wearing monkey mask and got caught at least 90 times!

:rolleyes: Gotta love how people try to find a loophole with law and still try break it anyway. They would have to be able to prove that he was driving when the offenses were committed. They can't without one of these:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/That_Vegeta/back-to-the-future-delorean-dmc12-t.jpg

sidewaysD
09-10-2009, 12:41 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3051/2670520921_47df22f715.jpg

adidas
09-10-2009, 12:51 AM
This is by far the funniest thing ive read in a little while! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
09-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Haha someone should drive around in a candy van with a Chris Hansen mask

toastgremlin
09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by revelations
"In this case, officers sat outside Vontesmar's home and watched him drive to work. "We watched him four different times put the monkey mask on and put the giraffe-style mask on," Officer Dave Porter said. "Based on surveillance, we were positive that Vontesmar was the driver." "

There is something seriously wrong with the cops down there if taxpayers' money is spent on not one, but 2 cops staking out a house to watch a guy put on a monkey mask. When I first read this, I figured that the cops were just lying straight-out to coerce a confession. If they're actually spending money for a special police unit to perform surveillance on people they suspect of speeding, there must not be anything else going on in Phoenix, or the police are raking in way too much of their annual budget from speeding fines.

You'd also think they would have some dated photo evidence of this surveillance, so they could conclusively prove that he had the mask on when he was ticketed those specific times.

This probably wouldn't work in Calgary. Doesn't the speeding ticket go against the car's registered owner instead of a specific license?

xxviet
09-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Haha someone should drive around in a candy van with a Chris Hansen mask

LOLOLOL the irony

J NRG
09-10-2009, 07:53 PM

dirtsniffer
09-10-2009, 08:30 PM
hahaha put under surveilance because of speeding:eek: :nut: :burnout: