PDA

View Full Version : wanna buy a 325xi need some inputs

majmaj
09-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Hello Bimmers,
I am looking for a 2001-2002 325 xi in Calgary and had e few questions.
1. Does xi really handle better in winter? Would you still get e winter set for it, or the fact that it's AWD is good enough?
2. What would be the standard maintenance for a 7-8 yrs car that I should look for?
3. I know this one is hard, but what would be the average annual maintenance cost for BMW 325 in this age? What are the parts that should likely be changed in this age?

Anything else I should know?

Cheers,
M.

scat19
09-09-2009, 12:17 PM
How many KM? I will further my post later.

The RWD/FWD/AWD has been beaten to death. If you're in a rally, AWD. If you're on the street in winter, FWD/RWD+ winter tires and your fine.

GT4rally
09-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Good winter tires are better than AWD any day... but combine the two and you'll be golden.

As for maintenance, the major item is the cooling system needs to be done around 120,000km (radiator, expansion tank, thermostat, water pump). If this has not been done (bills to prove), this is a must! Also, leaky valve cover gaskets are common, even on low km cars (not expensive, but still a pain).

scat19
09-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I was waiting for his KM's, but yes, GT4 is right.

Valve cover gasket and spark plug gasket will need to be changed at the 100,000KM mark. I'm going to do mine soon. Eeeks!

majmaj
09-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys, yes, my options are mostly between 100-130k
... I am a bit off in BMW mechanical design (have been driving japanese for years!). Do they have timing belt as well?
GT, what would be the cost for cooling system and the gaskets? just ball park. and should it be done all at once or can one wait untill they fail?

majmaj
09-10-2009, 03:49 PM
foun this on the web:

Engine Coolant Service

"I recommend changing engine coolant at two-year intervals, using only factory BMW anti-freeze mixed 50-50 with distilled water (reason – BMW anti-freeze is phosphate free, phosphates cause aluminum oxidation, which blocks cylinder head coolant passages and causes head gasket failure, others may claim to be “aluminum safe” or “phosphate free” – make your choice, but I’ve used BMW anti-freeze exclusively in many cars and have never had an aluminum oxidation or head gasket problem)"

of course, I would not use 50% water!!!

benyl
09-10-2009, 04:09 PM
Window regulators, RTAB, subframe, etc...

E46s have a host of issues as they get older.

5G_celica
09-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I would say if you do highway driving through the mountains (like to the coast) in the dead of winter then I would invest in winter tires.

all e46's use timing chains.