PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my broken Iphone 16Gig

DonJuan
09-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Its the usual story, I dropped my Iphone 16gig and it landed on a edge of metal in the perfect spot on the edge of the button that the screen cracked, still works perfect just cracked up screen. I sent it to the states as the apple store here couldn't do anything as the phone wasnt sold here, and Apple in the states said that they can replace it for the $149 but they cannot guarantee that I will get a 16 gig silverback, they said if I was lucky I might get an 8 gig but in all likelyhood get a 4gig. I really like my phone and I dont wanna get one of the 3g or 3gs ones. So I bought a replacement screen.

I saw the you tube vids on how to change screen, but they all seem to be for the 3G and not for the original Iphone. I am a bit apprehensive about taking it apart and did a little searching on here and got the idea that someone on here may have more knowledge than me and may have some time to spare to fix this.

So thats my sob story; any takers? Anyone know of anyone that can fix it for me? All the tools came with the screen too. Alcohol compensation? wait that might be bad... financial compensation?

thetrousertrout
09-09-2009, 03:28 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/275503/electronics-repair-shop-in-calgary/

He does great work and you wont get it done cheaper!

DonJuan
09-09-2009, 09:56 PM
PM3D! THX!

v2kai
09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
i've done the old school iphone a couple times and let me just give the heads up to whoever does it. really take your time, and be very gentle with the flex cables. the home button one and mic/speaker assembly flex cables are really easy to tear if you rush and dont know where they are. by far one of the more difficult phones i've ever worked on but not impossible. good luck!:thumbsup:

also, did you purchase the lcd/glass/digi assembly or just glass? glass with digi?

DonJuan
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
just glass :(

v2kai
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
i've have had a lot of experience with fixing phones and electronics as i do it on the side when i have time and flat out i'll say the first gen iphone was the most difficult phone i've worked on.

the iphone 3G you can get away with changing the digitizer/ glass together and the lcd by itself. i've never seen someone successfully swap just the glass without the digitizer glued to it, it always ends up a hack job or doesnt work due to the digi being glued the glass. in the case where everything is fuxxored you can buy the whole assembly which simplifies things but if it's only the glass or the touch you can get away with just digi/glass swap which is significantly cheaper when you take out the lcd. still not fun, the adhesive really requires you take care in removing any glass bits and re-seating the glass properly.

in the case of the first gen iphone, i've never seen it done properly unless you swap the whole lcd/glass/digi assembly as one piece. as the glass is glued to the digi and the digi to the lcd. unfortunately it's not cheap to get that whole assembly something like $150 or so last time i checked it may have gone down. there have been attempts at swapping just the glass, and like the 3G i've never seen it work, or it was such a hack job you were better off with a broken glass lens instead of mangled glue behind it. and as mentioned earlier it's really easy to tear flex cables on this setup....absolute pain in the ass.

truthfully i dont know why places even sell just the glass for both the first gen and 3G iphones as it seems you cant even do it correctly...i wasted money on that before i realised the assembly of each unit. sucks. i have only ever heard of one repair location in the states that claims it can swap just glass and they have not divulged their methods of glue removal and application and that is only for the 3G not the first gen. I hope this helps. if you still need help with the phone feel free to pm me with questions or if you need it done.

coles notes: youre gonna need to purchase the whole assembly i'm thinking. good luck with your phone dude

tha_bandit
09-10-2009, 12:00 PM
^:werd: , my 2G that i had also had a non functioning digitizer, and then i ended up breaking the glass, so the whole assembly was needed....After looking into it, I decided on just picking up a new or used 3G......its prob your best option.