PDA

View Full Version : Ninjutsu and Other Martial Arts

Phil_McGraw
09-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with ITTA's Ninjutsu class? I recently gave them a call and they told me to come and check out the class first, he would not divulge any information about pricing. I'm a rather small guy 5'9 at 140, and am looking from something more structured and "evasiveness" based. I live in the NW, so Dojos close to the North area would be great. Anyone have any ideas or experience with Ninjutsu? Thanks!

bigbadboss101
09-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Orlando is a good guy and the training is pretty good. It's not a sport, which is good. Check it out, you might like it. If I was to train again it would be Ninjutsu.

colsankey
09-09-2009, 05:12 PM
It's a great class, a good workout, good for your flexibility... even if your the least flexible person in the world, they'll get you improving on it.

Classes are expsensive, but I found it to be similair to several other martial arts in calgary like Mike Miles kickboxing or several karate classes around town.

Kritafo
09-09-2009, 05:37 PM
wow sounds interesting.

How much a month is it? Do they train adults only?

zipdoa
09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I was paying $99/m when I was going. Ninjutsu is badass, orlando is a good sensei, and there are lots of hardcore people who train there. It's not a martial art that you would ever be able to really use in a UFC fight or anything. I learned to do things like grab someone by the chest plate, sticking a thumb in the eye, extended knuckles to the throat, breaking variously limbs by using someones own body weight against them... pretty gruesome stuff.

but then again, terrorists don't just pull your hair.

hattonlynch
09-10-2009, 12:31 PM
ninjitsu......lmao

try boxing or muay thai. not that martial arts crap. most of it is just that....crap.

BigMass
09-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Ninjitsu isn’t “crap”. Neither is Karate or other martial arts that are taught properly by real instructors that aren’t part of some McDojo filled with 40 year old women looking for “fitness training”.

zipdoa
09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by hattonlynch
ninjitsu......lmao

try boxing or muay thai. not that martial arts crap. most of it is just that....crap.

Ninjutsu is one of the oldest, deadliest arts in the world.

texasnick
09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by hattonlynch
ninjitsu......lmao

Muay Thai is a martial art :dunno:

It doesn't really matter what style the school teaches, it's about how it is taught. McDojo and certain Taekwondo schools that allow 8 year old kids to get their "black belts" and classes with 1 instructer for 40 students are the ones you want to avoid.

In my experience, it is the smaller schools that help you learn the most. I'm not trying to knock anyone, but I would avoid places like Mike Miles....just my 2c.

OP there are quite a few smaller MMA gyms in town. Call them up, try out a class and see if you like it.

Phil_McGraw
09-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah I'm definitely not looking for McDojo where 3 month veterans "pay" for their black belts, I want something strict and traditional. In other words I want my own Mr. Myogi. Martial arts is more than just beating someone to pulp, why MMA guys always have to H8?

texasnick
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Phil_McGraw
Yeah I'm definitely not looking for McDojo where 3 month veterans "pay" for their black belts, I want something strict and traditional. In other words I want my own Mr. Myogi. Martial arts is more than just beating someone to pulp, why MMA guys always have to H8?

That's respectable man. MMA guys that hate are usually the ones who have either been doing it for 2 weeks or like to watch UFC and wear Tapout hats.

The type of gym you are looking for is unfortunately hard to find nowadays.

Hamann
09-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Alot of Places let you take the first training session for free (from my experience) I checked out quite a few places when I was starting Boxing (that was 6 Years ago)

My advice would be to check out a couple places and decide on the one that you like the best.

I can't give any advice on a good place though, I was never really interested in any Martial Arts.

Good Luck in your search though :thumbsup:

sputnik
09-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Phil_McGraw
I want something strict and traditional. In other words I want my own Mr. Myogi.

Have you considered Hapkido?

http://www.jjkcanada.com

Master Wade Langin is a pretty cool guy and is OBSESSED with the tradition and history of Hapkido.

He is friendly and approachable, but requires perfection when it comes to learning and practicing.

The dojang is located near the U of C.

I trained under him for a few years until I moved to the deep SE.

Phil_McGraw
09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I went last night to check it out. Orlando was pretty intense and has extensive credentials, but he was asking 180 a month! Most places are around 100, so I don't know how much more beneficial the 80 dollars would be over some regular karate class?

texasnick
09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
That's for you to decide, really. When I was training in Vancouver a few years back, I paid about $180 / month (you could have done cheaper, but then you didn't get to play with guns and knives) and compared to the $100/month TKD / Karate classes I took before that, it was WELL worth the extra money. Now that you know what that gym is like, try one of the cheaper ones. See if you think you would benefit from either of them, and go from there.

Phil_McGraw
09-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks. Does anyone have any experience with Tang Su Do?

TimG
09-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Check out the Shorinji-Kan Jiu Jitsu club at the University of Calgary

http://www.jitsualberta.com/category/club_info/calgary/calgary_university