PDA

View Full Version : Politely contact your Alderman! New Race City Vote.

Toma
09-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Please tell them of your support/desire for Race City.

http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/local/article/305293--alderman-revved-up-for-race-city-extension

bituerbo
09-10-2009, 10:07 AM
How voting went down last time: http://www.secalgarynews.com/auto/how-aldermen-voted-on-the-motion-to-extend-race-citys-lease/

My alderman voted for extending the lease, however Mayor Bronconnier voted agaist, so I will be placing a few calls to his office (as well as a thank-you to Mr. Joe Connelly).

If you're not sure who your alderman is, you can look it up here:
http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Municipal+Government/Office+of+the+Aldermen/Ward+Offices/Alderman+by+ward.htm

R154
09-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Bit, you beat me too it.

http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Municipal+Government/Office+of+the+Aldermen/Ward+Offices/Alderman+by+ward.htm

Please people come out to the last few events this year, dont forget that secret street is still open, and the double header in (2) weekends for sport/superbike is the last "event" that race city will ever host if the lease is not renewed.

Support our track, support our racers, and more importantly experience what we WONT have if the majority of calgary's representation has it their way.

Please spend time expressing your views. A well composed letter will hold more value then multiple small quips, and searing comments!

alloroc
09-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
How voting went down last time: http://www.secalgarynews.com/auto/how-aldermen-voted-on-the-motion-to-extend-race-citys-lease/

My alderman voted for extending the lease, however Mayor Bronconnier voted agaist, so I will be placing a few calls to his office (as well as a thank-you to Mr. Joe Connelly).

If you're not sure who your alderman is, you can look it up here:

That is a great website!

I especially liked this article ...
http://www.secalgarynews.com/opinion/hammer-time/a-public-challenge-to-aldermen-fox-mellway-and-ceci-for-the-upcoming-race-city-motion/

ICEBERG
09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
I hope that idiot Mayor Bronconnier doesn't get elected again. He is determined to eliminate Race City. All he does BEST is to raise the land taxes to extraordinary rates.

Bronconnier + Taxes, Taxes and more Taxes = Douche......

kenny
09-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Is the vote for extending the Race City lease today? I know its the first day back in session for council but not sure how many other motions they need to vote on today.

One of the aldermen that voted YES last time (Diane Colley-Urquhart) is not in attendance today as she is doing last minute campaigning for her move to provincial politics.

PremiumRSX
09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Yes I believe the vote was today however I don't know when or if it has taken place yet.

I contacted 3 Aldermans last week including my own. I hope I convinced one of the Aldermans that were against it to vote for it.

nissanK
09-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I work at the municipal bldg and I'm watching the council meeting live at my workstation.

I'll keep you guys posted!!:thumbsup:

thetransporter
09-14-2009, 06:34 PM
John Mar supports it!

seriously they spent 25 billion or million on a bridge that should of cost 1-5 million.

CUG
09-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by nissanK
I work at the municipal bldg and I'm watching the council meeting live at my workstation.

I'll keep you guys posted!!:thumbsup: Yeah? How'd we do? Are you putting street radials on the pro-mods yet?

Ca_Silvia13
09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Bump, i need answers!:burnout:

kenny
09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Don't think its been voted on yet, they should get to it sometime this week. I'm guessing we'll hear something on the news as soon as the vote is done.

Good news is that Diane Colley-Urquhart lost the Calgary-Glenmore byelection so hopefully she'll be at council to vote for the motion to extend the lease. :thumbsup:

Ca_Silvia13
09-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Seems to be a double thread on this. Copied from the other one:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=249536&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=6

"Please use the link below to contact your Alderman regarding the Race City motion being put forward by Ric McIvor. There’s an election in a few months and constituent feedback can be an strong driver in helping them decide which side of an issue they support.

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server...man+by+ward.htm

We believe the outcome of the last vote on Race City was as follows:

For: Mar, Colley-Urquhart, Connelly, McIver, Stevenson, Jones, Chabot

Against: Farrell, Ceci, Fox-Mellway, Hawkesworth, Lowe, Pincott, Bronconnier

Hodges was ill so he wasn't there for the last vote

Our best hopes are likely with Hodges and Ceci. And a single vote could make all the difference."

Some more info on the people:

Ceci is a swing vote.

Pincott is a rabid enviro freak and was a big shot at WWF. He rides his

bike to work every day - which is fine, but he wants you to do it too.

The only exception is transit. Basically he wants to kill your car.

There's no way his vote will change.

Fox-Mellway votes lock step with Bronco so she's out

Hawkesworth might swing as well.

Last edited by m10-power on 09-14-2009 at 09:31 AM

chkolny541
09-15-2009, 07:49 PM
GOOD RIDDANCE!!That land was ALWAYS sanctioned to be shepard landfill. The garbage has to go somewhere and shepard is filling up quick. (coming from a past shepard employee, so im not bs'ing you) Race city's days are numbered, and what a shitty track too. What other alternative is there to closing down the track..? perhaps put a NEW landfill by YOUR neighbourhood!

Xamim
09-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
GOOD RIDDANCE!!That land was ALWAYS sanctioned to be shepard landfill. The garbage has to go somewhere and shepard is filling up quick. (coming from a past shepard employee, so im not bs'ing you) Race city's days are numbered, and what a shitty track too. What other alternative is there to closing down the track..? perhaps put a NEW landfill by YOUR neighbourhood!

A shitty track is better than no track at all.

chkolny541
09-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Xamim

A shitty track is better than no track at all.

but a better track wont likely even be considered to be built until this one is gone, short term pain for long term gain

syritis
09-15-2009, 08:28 PM
The new tracks are coming and will have nothing to do with calgary. that is for the best. we just need time for planning to finish up. we just need that shitty track to live for a little while longer.

The slow going factories putting out less garbage, and the recycling program redirecting garbage from the dump. it's not gunna kill anyone to hold onto that track for another two or three years.
without any track near calgary many performance shops are going to lose business or worse.

962 kid
09-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Dumbass, the land was to be used for the landfill in 2025 :rolleyes: that's why they had things like a contract and lease agreement. The landfill still has room for at least another 30 years of waste at the current rate of fill (which is declining as already mentioned), and they're not even using the land to store trash. They're just putting ponds there basically, and even those could have been incorporated into a redesigned track as proposed by Art.

If the city had shown some sort of attempt to work with Art, we would have a redesigned, new track coming to it's current location. Instead we're going to be stuck with no track at all for the half decade it takes to build a new track 2 hours away.

Thaco
09-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

If the city had shown some sort of attempt to work with Art, we would have a redesigned, new track coming to it's current location.

Lies,

Art has no desire to sink any more time or money in to the track, hence why for the last 3 years it's been managed by another company, and now the only thing hosted by race city is the secret streets, the rest are all privately sanctioned events that just rent the track.

962 kid
09-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

Lies,

Art has no desire to sink any more time or money in to the track, hence why for the last 3 years it's been managed by another company, and now the only thing hosted by race city is the secret streets, the rest are all privately sanctioned events that just rent the track.

:rolleyes:

"Here is the question they did not ask: Why can’t the storm water retention ponds and other facilities required for the expansion be integrated with a re-designed Race City?

Art Mackenzie and other motorsport enthusiasts I have talked to say that in Europe race courses are designed to work in conjunction with municipal facilities all the time. For instance, the retention ponds could be set in the middle of a new road course.

Art has proposed just such an arrangement to waste and recycling. Did the bureaucrats seriously consider the idea? According to Art, they immediately dismissed the concept with a curt, “It would be inconvenient for us,” and refused to discuss it again."

http://www.secalgarynews.com/opinion/hammer-time/a-public-challenge-to-aldermen-fox-mellway-and-ceci-for-the-upcoming-race-city-motion/

Go suck off some more little boys t3rry. Why would anyone want to sink money into a facility that the local gov't does not want? The fact that he's gone as far as he has to try and find a new location or make compromises to keep the current one say a lot about his desire to keep a racing facility in town, but there's no point if the city continues to go out of it's way to shut it down.

syritis
09-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

Lies,

And the Canadian drag racing association, the Calgary Sports car Club, The Southern Alberta racing association, and the Oval track Racing association, and the western Canadian motor sports association, and the Beyond/speedtech events, And the Allen burg school, and BMW dealerships, and Mercedes Benz dealerships, and MANY other private individuals!

Art knows it would be a bad idea to spend money on a track that is not guaranteed to live past this winter. and the slow degradation of the track has kept the larger racing groups from the track.
It's been a down hill spiral for the track since the original 20Year lease expired in 1995 (99% sure that was the year). and the 5year "run on" leases since then haven't been a sure thing either.

Side note: it's not a legal requirement that land fills have a waste water pond. although most do. so that whole topic is just an excuse for why bronconnier wants land.

chkolny541
09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Dumbass, the land was to be used for the landfill in 2025 :rolleyes: that's why they had things like a contract and lease agreement. The landfill still has room for at least another 30 years of waste at the current rate of fill (which is declining as already mentioned), and they're not even using the land to store trash. They're just putting ponds there basically, and even those could have been incorporated into a redesigned track as proposed by Art.

If the city had shown some sort of attempt to work with Art, we would have a redesigned, new track coming to it's current location. Instead we're going to be stuck with no track at all for the half decade it takes to build a new track 2 hours away.

30 yrs!?? where did you get this info from, please tell me you either work directly for shepard landfill or else STFU, talking with the foremen of that place it doesnt really have much more than 20 yrs, more like 12-15 in realistic terms though. And although the amount of garbage has infact declined (numbers are down ~100-200 vehicles daily) this is mostly tied to the construction slowdown in calgary this past year, do you really think that residential garbage is the largest part of the crap there..?? So when things turn around again with building projects..guess what..

and as for ponds.Please tell me how you assume their fresh water/runnoff ponds. IF they put ponds there they will fill them with some of the most toxic shit you can imagine, and im sure regulations exist prohibiting a public race track to be directly beside a open septic pond

962 kid
09-16-2009, 07:07 PM

30 yrs!?? where did you get this info from, please tell me you either work directly for shepard landfill or else STFU, talking with the foremen of that place it doesnt really have much more than 20 yrs, more like 12-15 in realistic terms though. And although the amount of garbage has infact declined (numbers are down ~100-200 vehicles daily) this is mostly tied to the construction slowdown in calgary this past year, do you really think that residential garbage is the largest part of the crap there..?? So when things turn around again with building projects..guess what..

and as for ponds.Please tell me how you assume their fresh water/runnoff ponds. IF they put ponds there they will fill them with some of the most toxic shit you can imagine, and im sure regulations exist prohibiting a public race track to be directly beside a open septic pond

GF is a 4th year environmental science student, she was out at the landfill 2 weeks ago with her prof, experts and the workers there. I trust their work and predictions over your random ass wild guesses based on what the dude operating the cash register says.

The ponds will be storm water retention ponds, not open septic ponds. It's stated right in the article I posted :rolleyes: There are other articles stating the same thing, but posting them would be pointless seeing as reading isn't one of your strong points.

syritis
09-16-2009, 10:48 PM

even IF the landfill only has the room for 12-15 years, The patrons of the track are only asking for 5 years at most. so calm down.

Run off ponds are only meant to collect exactly that. Rain run off that may collect the oil, grease and other pollutants. the ponds are tested often and IF there is sufficient volumes of pollutants are identified, just the top couple inches are vacuumed off and taken to a recycling plant where the pollutants are separated and disposed of properly. so it makes NO difference if said ponds are near a race track. in fact, you could call the spawm at race city a run off pond and still plants are growing. I have seen other tracks do exactly this, so STFU before you talk shit you don't know about.