PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had experience with Alaskan Malamutes/Siberian Huskies

zipdoa
09-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Seriously interested in getting a mal or a sibe, I fully understand the work behind having a decent companionship with one of these animals, just wondering if anyone can give some perspective on their own experience with this breed.

gretz
09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
sister has a husky.... mellow dog (especially for not being fixed), good around kids, doesn't bark, stubborn as hell, will run like the wind if he gets a peak at freedom.

The running away is common in these dogs; great pyrenees (sp?) tend to do the same thing.

Just be the alpha and they will be great dogs.

A790
09-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I had a Malimute/Wolf cross and like 7 different Siberian Huskies growing up.

+ Likes outdoors / not happy inside.

+ Sheds like a MOTHAFUCKA, damn!

+ As mentioned: chance at freedom = gonzo.

+ Obedient dogs as long as you're in charge.

+ Can grow to be pretty big.

sputnik
09-10-2009, 11:48 AM
A friend of mind had a Siberian Husky.

STUBBORN dog! Her house was pretty much destroyed inside and outside.

GOnSHO
09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
great dogs!! and very active.

The last place i lived, the people that lived upstairs owned a siberian husky, he was a complete goofball.

always running around and SHED like a mofo, once i get my own place, i will be picking up a husky as a companion for my rotti/jack russell

JfuckinC
09-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Amazing dog, Had one in the past, and my sister currently has one.

Our old dog NEVER ran away, loved everyone, was quiet. but loved to play anytime. I would have parties with a million strangers and she'd walk around and check everyone out and then just chill out. Very loyal also. (female) Did not chew on ANYTHING unless you put in here mouth/paws. Honestly my favorite dog in the world. Miss her like crazy.

My sisters current dog, is a psycho lol. Very friendly, but runs away anytime he can, but usually will return without too much hassle. LOVES to play. Great with other dogs, and doesn't destroy tooooo much at home, but you can't leave too much in his reach. (male)

They both loved outdoors, no matter how cold, they were just happy to get fresh air. And of course they shed like fuckin crazy lol.

Honestly when i learn to take better care of myself and be more responsible. First dog i'm buying, with out a doubt. You just have to be very very strict when they're puppies and they turn out amazing.

GOnSHO
09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
yea these dogs LOVE being outside, and the snow from personal experience

AndyL
09-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Personal experience having fostered several - these are one of those dogs that will tax your patience. But are definitely worth it...

Plan on morning/noon/evening walks - not quick 5 minutes around the block walks - but 45 minute hikes. These dogs need excercise; lots of it - physical and mental...

True pack dogs - with a very strong alpha drive... You better be the alpha (same goes for spouses/kids) - and remind them of that every day... If not - things will go very wrong very quickly.

I'll leave my breeding beliefs out of this - make sure you get to spend time with both parents and preferably meet some pups from older litters of the same parents.

J NRG
09-10-2009, 06:19 PM

MintRacer
09-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Number one main thing for me:

needs LOTS of time and dedication to properly train the dog. Otherwise the SOB will get agressive and bite people. Not just the puppie years either, it's more of a life long ordeal.

Hakkola
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Shiba Inu if you want a similar dog that won't grow as big, also the Finnish Spitz for a friendlier version if you can find one, great companion dogs.

AndyL
09-10-2009, 09:08 PM
DOOD - Shiba Inu is not a good alternate...

You think a malamute/husky is bad... Holy Crap - those little monsters - they bring it to a whole new level. Stubborn, Strong, Stubborn, Fiesty, Stubborn - did I mention STUBBORN? Only dog I've ever met that had a valid training technique called 'beat the crap outta it' (I kid of course - but sometimes I've heard owners make reference)

But yeah they're awful cute...

The scream however... I could do without...

finboy
09-10-2009, 09:23 PM
big dogs + breakable guitars on stands =:drama:

;)

BerserkerCatSplat
09-10-2009, 10:22 PM
PM Gripenfelter, I think he's got at least one bigass Malamute.

AndyL
09-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Depends on the dog... Big ass dog is no more dangerous to guitars on a stand than a chihuahua... Some dogs however are big old clumsy lumoxes (ie my pyrenees cross) - yet I can think of a komondore or bouvier in my past that I'd likely trust with crystal on the floor...

misterrick
09-10-2009, 10:40 PM
i had two purebred alaskan malamutes growing up atmy parents house. the first was amazingly well behaved. wouldnt jump even if you coaxed it.... the second, even after obedience classes, etc, still jumps, bites, etc. and is still not very good around my 7 year old son.

in conclusion, it all depends on the dog....

my $0.02

wintonyk
09-10-2009, 10:56 PM
we have a sibe at our house now. Diesel has been around for 5 yrs now, we adopted him.

Diesel is a very calm dog... never bites or barks. Some times he tries to get into our conversations and almost talks. When we first got him as he was adopted the kennel while your out thing did not work one bit. Although I think it has to do with bad memories.

As for the obedience thing, you have to be consistent. With 6 people in and out of my house all the time he sometimes doesn't listen to people. Because huskies are such pack animals they have a real alpha complex. Fat chance he listens to my mom, but he won't misbehave.

I was away at university for the past 4 years, so he is getting used to me being around. But when they say these dogs are active its an understatement. I don't think there is a day where he isn't bursting with energy either when he goes for a few 3 mile walks or when he has a rottweiler and a golden lab come over to play.

The biggest struggle is that he is stubborn. If he doesn't want to do something he won't. I am starting to break that trend now but who knows really.

For the first couple months we had troubles with him digging in the yard but that ended with some discipline. Although he is an escape artist. One day he walked up and down the yard pushing each board on the fence trying to find a loose one. When he did he was gone. A big challenge is that when they see something small they will chase it for eternity, fortunately the rabbit dove into a hole and he started digging at it long enough to catch him.

Even after 5 years, would never take him to an off leash area even though its no fear of attack just that he would run forever after a squirrel or something.

With all that said he is an awesome dog and the energy fits exactly what I can give.

barmanjay
09-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by A790
I had a Malimute/Wolf cross and like 7 different Siberian Huskies growing up.

+ Likes outdoors / not happy inside.

+ Sheds like a MOTHAFUCKA, damn!

+ As mentioned: chance at freedom = gonzo.

+ Obedient dogs as long as you're in charge.

+ Can grow to be pretty big.

Years ago in BC, I had a roommate that got a malamute

Awesome dog,.. but realize that this particular breed of dog is the closest to wolf you are going to get. not hostile in a sense, but like/want their freedom. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL dogs!!!

Very strong, broke 2 ropes then 2 medium sized chain carribeaners attached to chain then got hit by a car :(

Fun and dopey looking at times, and some times a real PITA.

sk65guy
09-11-2009, 12:43 AM
i had a husky/wolf cross very very stubborn dog. You have to be alpha male otherwise your not going to get much of a response from the dog (happened to me). They see freedom, they run. My dog used to jump the backyard fence and leave not to hard to find. Also he loved to chew on things i tired soo hard to get him to stop but everything was chewed to shit. Otherwise awesome dogs

oh ya they SHEDDDDDDDDDDDD LIKE MADDD