PDA

View Full Version : Wrong memory

Kennyredline
09-11-2009, 07:59 AM
I just discovered that the DOUCHEBAG at Future Shop sold me the wrong memory for my computer. It takes PC3200 DDR, and he sold me SD, and my computer is totally fucked.
How can I fix it...or is it toast?
Symptoms are: Rebooting when put on standby; programs that are loaded do not work at all, the program crashes, or the computer does; I am getting constant error messages that the system is recovering from a serious error( which is how I found out about the RAM issue).

GQBalla
09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
i assume the stick of ram is no longer in the computer?

Grogador
09-11-2009, 08:26 AM
SDR modules wouldn't fit in a DDR slot without physical modifications to the slot and/or stick.

PEBKAC.

Kennyredline
09-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
i assume the stick of ram is no longer in the computer?
correct. now the error messages come up slower.

Kennyredline
09-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
SDR modules wouldn't fit in a DDR slot without physical modifications to the slot and/or stick.

PEBKAC.

Well, maybe I'm full of shit...the one in my computer is 512MB of DDR PC3200...the one I bought is 1GB SDDDR...are these compatible? I was told last night they are not...

Mar
09-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Grogador

PEBKAC.
This. If it fits, it's the right RAM. Check your BIOS settings or do a memory test. It's more likely the RAM isn't seated right.

Grogador
09-11-2009, 10:03 AM
There is no such thing as SDDDR. Maybe you mean DDR SDRAM, which is just a fancy way of saying "DDR memory"... Can you just give us:

- your computer's and/or motherboard's make/model
- exactly what is written on your RAM's stickers

GQBalla
09-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Mar

This. If it fits, it's the right RAM. Check your BIOS settings or do a memory test. It's more likely the RAM isn't seated right.

werd

unless you hemaned that shit in

eblend
09-11-2009, 09:29 PM
wrong ram wouldn't fit at all....so they sold you the right ram, it just seems like you don't really know what your doing, try to reseat it and do a bios update since motherboard manufacurers constantly release new bios updates with updated memory support